Built in FM tuner in next iPod rev?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Been discussed before I'm sure but since we're on the Mini iPod trail of late, I thought I'd drum this up again.

Although this is not a must feature, wouldn't it be a nice addition to any future iPod? Sometimes it nice to listen to the news or current events on a local talk show.

The scroll pad makes it an ideal interface to scan across the dial with the other forward and back buttons serving to pre-set stations. Plus a tuner can't be very big to incorporate into the design. Heck if tiny USB keychain type players can drop in a tuner, I'm sure Apple can do it with little or not exterior design change. (Forget about external attachments, they're clumsy and unsightly).

Yeah, I know it's selling like hotcakes already, but surely it can't but help strenthen it's lead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Been discussed before I'm sure but since we're on the Mini iPod trail of late, I thought I'd drum this up again.

Although this is not a must feature, wouldn't it be a nice addition to any future iPod? Sometimes it nice to listen to the news or current events on a local talk show.

An FM tuner for talk and news? You'd probably want AM too. AM's just about the only radio I listen too. KCBS 740 for news/weather/traffic and KNBR 680 for sports.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

KCBS 740 for news/weather/traffic and KNBR 680 for sports.

Off topic.

As a pesky Eurooopean, I've never understood why the name of US radio stations is invariably 4 letters, beginning with a K. Why is this? Why don't they just have a 'name' ?

Just curious

• Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

As a pesky Eurooopean

True that!

Quote:

Off topic.

As a pesky Eurooopean, I've never understood why the name of US radio stations is invariably 4 letters, beginning with a K. Why is this? Why don't they just have a 'name' ?

Just curious

In my area we use "W", isn't that mind blowing?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Don't know reasons, but "K" west of Mississippi, "W" east of Mississippi...except for some historical exceptions (I believe).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

...the name of US radio stations is invariably 4 letters, beginning with a K. Why is this? Why don't they just have a 'name' ?

You can find the answer here ("Why do U.S. radio call letters start with W in the east and K in the west (revisited)?") and/or here ("United States Callsign Policies").

(Sorry, I'm too lazy to type up a summary)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Interesting,

Thanks.