How to hide a full-screen game?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am using SimCity 4 on 10.3.2 and I can't get over the fact that it won't let me command-H or command-Tab to get out of the program... is there some way to get a workaround so I don't have to exit the program to check an IM?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

I am using SimCity 4 on 10.3.2 and I can't get over the fact that it won't let me command-H or command-Tab to get out of the program... is there some way to get a workaround so I don't have to exit the program to check an IM?

Command M
  • Reply 2 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I've noticed that I could exposé and click on another window to get out of an app (while in full screen game, obviously). But this was a game in classic mode, so maybe that's a different situation.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Command-M doesn't work. Neither does Exposé.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

Command-M doesn't work. Neither does Exposé.

Some games do that so you can't cheat...others because they have those keys mapped so it doesn't register with the OS or whatever.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's different for every game, which is (+in my opinion) a violation of HI Guidelines. Apple says that a full screen app should either:

A. Reveal the menu bar when you mouse to the top of the screen (when the game is paused, of course)

B. Respond to the hide command, or allow other common keyboard shortcuts.

So far, I've only seen Quake III respnd to the cmd-H, and Unreal Tournament is HORRIBLE: It just about locks you into the game, EVEN IN WINDOWED MODE!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well, Halo works pretty well, in hiding and all, but it doesn't do it as well as Quake 3, because Halo keeps the rest of the system at whatever resolution you have it in. So if you have your finder at 1280x1024 and you have Halo in 1024x768, then the finder and all other applications running will be in 1024x768.

Dunno if this applies to Quake 3 as I only run it in 1280x1024 res.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    In Quake III (haven't tried it on any other games) if you press alt+any of the sound buttons it should open the system preferences and then allow you to use the dock and app switcher to hide the game or switch to the IM program.

(edited because i messed up)

• Reply 8 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What about Command + P? That's what it does in The Sims.
  • Reply 9 of 9

Wrong Thread

Excuse Me