How do you "teach" people how to use OS X properly?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by arne

ever noticed that the desktopfolder of os9

was hidden, while the hd icons where lying

on the desktop, while osx desktopfolder

is actually _visible_ as a folder on the hd,

while the hd still resides on the desktop?

That's not the fault of OS X. If it's designers had their way then there wouldn't be any drives mounted on the desktop (and it's one of the first things I switch off).

It's only there to appease people still stuck in an OS 9 frame of mind. And so it is also probably the number one factor in stopping people *getting* the home directory concept because they still double-click the HD to get started like they used to.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    This whole issue highlights what I feel is a major problem for Apple and its attempt to woo people over.

Namely, the fact that the supposed simplicity is not so simple that it is absolutely intuitive.

I feel that all of the Root folders and documents should be available in a seperate system folder who's path is divergent from the User path and the user Document path.

Panther goes someways in trying to clear that up but it is still there, and so, it still seems like what the file structure is offering is the base of operations . . . the root IS the base but NOT the User's base.

User base should be clearly seperate; where the root is in a System folder and all of the folders that go along with those levels are not immediately visible.

I teach students who are used to PCs and they have a hard time making the distinction.

ALSO, just to clear things up, I would make such folders as Library, Public, Music etc be optional from the start with a Pull-down VIEW menu that will allow you to show these folders . . . . they present themselves as needless clutter . . . . that is, until you get to actually using them

But even then, they should be optional but not in the manner in which they now are optional, rather, they should be non-existent till called for.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I don't call it the home folder. I call it a house.

I taught my mom and my brother that they need to put everything in their house. My brother backs up a lot and he took to this house term really quickly. My mom was a little slower but came around pretty easily.

I'm just glad you can now put a printer icon on the desktop in Panther. My dad taught my mom to print this way in OS 9 and she didn't understand printing at all in other versions of OS X.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I'm gonna try some of your 'tricks' on my grandfather. Last time I went over there I was cleaning his desktop for three hours. And I had installed Panther for him two weeks ago... I just couldn't get him to use the Home Folder.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    I personally am new to Mac OS, and I don't know what you guys are talking about. I put all programs in the Applications folder (what I equate to the Program Files folder in Windows) and all documents in the Documents folder under Users>Eric (my name)>Documents. My desktop is "cluttered" with shortcuts (aliases) to all the programs I use regularly.

Am I doing anything wrong?
  • Reply 26 of 81
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Nothing reallly wrong with what you're doing. You can drag Applications to the Dock and it will add an icon that allows you to launch the application from that icon (basically an alias). There's no specific reason to have lots of Application aliases on the desktop for launching them, if I understand what you said you're doing. That's the intended purpose of the Dock.

Alternatively, you can also drag the Applications folder to the Dock as well, and when you right-click on its icon in the Dock, it will show the list of all the Applications in the Apps folder... you can click on anyone to launch it.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Nothing reallly wrong with what you're doing. You can drag Applications to the Dock and it will add an icon that allows you to launch the application from that icon (basically an alias). There's no specific reason to have lots of Application aliases on the desktop for launching them, if I understand what you said you're doing. That's the intended purpose of the Dock.

Alternatively, you can also drag the Applications folder to the Dock as well, and when you right-click on its icon in the Dock, it will show the list of all the Applications in the Apps folder... you can click on anyone to launch it.

Okay, cool, I didn't even think about adding icons to the dock!
  • Reply 28 of 81
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You can also remove stuff from the dock as well. The only exception to this is the Finder and Trash. To move stuff around in the dock, click and drag the icons to where you want them to go. Applications go in the left "pane" and folders and other items go in the right "pane" (as divided by the vertical line).
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Oh, the Dock is so sexy now that I know what to do with it.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    One thing Apple needs is a very slick "How to use OS X" intro that both tells and shows people right from the start what the Dock does and how the Finder works. Manuals aren't always read but well done guided tutorial that's part of the setup process would be good.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    There's tutorials available as part of .mac though I've not tried them myself.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Both my parents have it all wrong. They put all their documents and crap in the root level of their hard drive just like they did in OS 9 (and OS 8, and System 7, and System 6...). See, they've both been using Macs for well over ten years now so they're used to the Classic OS way of organizing files. Neither one of them uses their home directories and they don't know what they are for. My mom only puts music files there, because they get automatically put there by iTunes. My dad doesn't use iTunes so he doesn't have ANYTHING in his Home folder.

What's funny is I was working on my dad's computer yesterday, trying to fix Dreamweaver, and I was going really slow because everything was organized in an OS 9-like way. Windows constantly opening instead of staying in the same window, no Applications menu in the dock, etc. I was telling him I remember when he was all excited about Copland in 1996. It was delayed. Then it was going to come out in 1998 or 1999. It was delayed again. OS X is the next generation OS. It's what Copland would have been had it come out earlier. He should probably learn how to use it. But he can't get used to it. I guess it doesn't harm anything to have, oh, 20-30 files in your root directory, most of which are installation logs and other various crap that he's never bothered to delete but could whenever, but eventually he'll have to start using OS X like OS X, and not like OS 9 anymore. Is this a lost cause? Does it even matter?

there is no problem, OS 9 was great for placing files wherever you wanted. I don;t like the new Home directory, I've got used to it, but a computer should work around you, you should not be forced to use it in a certain way, that's what MAC is about.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

It would be nice. I recently switched to MAC and i love it but i needed the help of placebo to get me going on iChat and Safari

By the way, it's "Mac", not "MAC". Mac isn't an acronym.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    One last thing before this thread goes the way of the dodo. Apple offers a very extensive online training system for Dot Mac users. The Getting Started with a Mac contains over 10 hours of video. There are similar ones for iPhoto and iTunes. Also any ARS offers their Getting Started on a Mac seminar every Saturday morning. I should know I taught it for 2 years
  • Reply 35 of 81
    arnearne Posts: 29member
    thank you, mac crazy.

that's not a nerdy, but a

usability way of thinking.

it holds true and it counts.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, there's some really, really nice training stuff you get as a .Mac member (the iApps, OS X, etc.).

However, last I checked (this morning, actually...), the OS X training stuff is all Jaguar. Hopefully, before long, they'll update the video training/tutorials to deal with Panther, since it's a) what's on all shipping Macs (anybody getting a Mac this Christmas might appreciate it) and b) Panther is simply better than Jaguar.

I'm sure they're hard at work on that as I speak.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm trying to teach my mom to use her iBook. She is not very familiar with computers. Does web browsing, pays bills, uses web mail.

Recent things we've looked at:

- the Dock (need to close applications, not just windows)

- copy-pasting text

- Mozilla Firebird as an upgrade from the discontinued IE

Next things to tackle:

- Mail.app

- basics of the directory structure and Finder (she is very confused whenever she needs to open something through a dialog even if the file is on her desktop)

I'm also learning OS X as we go, since I don't have an own Mac.

Personally, I appreciate the Unix way and the home directories, but I don't appreciate the way OS X has the "media directories" - even if I use media type as a primary sorting factor, I don't want to have it dictated to me. Frankly, I don't know if I can freely delete the media directories without screwing up programs like iTunes.

Apple should just give the user an empty ~ and have a choice in the options whether to show the full directory tree or only the user part.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I always organize the dock and ... Apple store..

LOL
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

...I think Apple should consider having the Home directory appear on the desktop by default, at least in addition to, and perhaps instead of, the drives...

It'S windozish thinking, ...

... but you already have that choice. simply make hdrives, discs and other volumes of value unvisible on your desktop, create an alias from your home directory and ... thats it.

Personally i dont like that aproach. i really need mounted volumes on my desktop. maybe just my "spatial finder thinking".

best
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Am I doing anything wrong?

NO, your doing fine, really.

Most long time mac users are pretty much used to put there files where ever they wanted. This kind of (mac only) freedom is gone. or altered into stability;-)

i learned, that windows users get familiar with X pretty much faster than classic mac users. that's paradox isn't it?

best