CD tray opens at startup. How do I change this?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When ever I start up my G4 sawtooth, the cd tray opens and stays open for about 10 minutes. Is there a way to set it so that the tray stays closed at startup and opens only when I push the open cd tray button?

The reason I ask is that my kids use the computer when I not around and I can see a day where they start horsing around the computer and break the tray off. I just put a superdrive in it.

Thanks to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You might be having problems with the fact that it is a third party drive and therefore may not be properly hooked up. It may have something to do with open firmware. Most drives will close after being open for certain length of time, just close the drive when it opens, or teach the kids how. Better yet, don't shut down, just sleep the computer.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You might be having problems with the fact that it is a third party drive and therefore may not be properly hooked up. It may have something to do with open firmware. Most drives will close after being open for certain length of time, just close the drive when it opens, or teach the kids how. Better yet, don't shut down, just sleep the computer.

Thanks for the response. It's a sony DVR-A06U which I found out is the same one that Apple ships in their computers as a superdrive. And it does close by itself after about 10 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Unplug your USB mouse during the boot process. See if that helps.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Unplug your USB mouse during the boot process. See if that helps.

Hey, I tried that and it seemed to fix it (Rebooted with no mouse and it started up with the tray in. I then plugged in the mouse) I rebooted again this time with the mouse in and the tray is still in!

Good job bunge... And thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Hey, I tried that and it seemed to fix it (Rebooted with no mouse and it started up with the tray in. I then plugged in the mouse) I rebooted again this time with the mouse in and the tray is still in!

Good job bunge... And thank you.

Woo hoo!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I finally fixed the problem. I bought an Apple keyboard (the current ones offered at the Apple store) and now the tray stays shut when I boot up.

(I hated that other Apple keyboard. The thing was tiny, didn't have a delete to the right key, and I kept activating Expose when I didn't intend to when I went to use the regular delete key). This keyboard is MUCH nicer and it has an eject button which opens and closed the CD/DVD tray as well as volume buttons. The only thing missing is the power on button which is no big deal.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    What are you going to do with the old keyboard? Care to send it over? Maybe we could make a deal. I would like to have such a keyboard (again).
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

What are you going to do with the old keyboard? Care to send it over? Maybe we could make a deal. I would like to have such a keyboard (again).

I set up a blue and white for my two sons and the desk that the monitor and keyboard is on is tiny. The small keyboard is perfect for it. Sorry...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    didn't the B&W's come with the small keyboard too??
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

didn't the B&W's come with the small keyboard too??

I didn't buy the B&W so I don't know. I got the B&W (two in fact) for free and both of them didn't have keyboards.

The small keyboard (and a lame hockey puck mouse) came with the sawtooth 450 (that I also got for free) that I am now using.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    damn... where are you getting this stuff for free?!?