SPEEEEEDING up OS 10.3.2!!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was looking through the forum at maccentral... and I found this post, it sped up my powerbook's startup time like nothing eve; from 2 min. to 48 seconds!! Heres some clippings to make the reading easier... I'll also include the address of the post
Quote:

I followed from Apple Discussions Board this advice:

"I think I have a fix for the slow startup. I was talking to Apple this morning, I was having exporting issues out of iPhoto. Long story short, it was a problem with my photo library and had to rebuild it. While I was waiting I asked Matt (the apple guy on the phone) if there was any thing we could do to get 10.3.2 to boot faster.

I noticed that it was much slower when I upgraded to 10.3.2. Matt told me to go into terminal and type:

sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl/usr/sbin/

It asks you for your admin password.

You then reboot, and it still is slow. Then you reboot again and it's real fast. I think it's now faster than it was in 10.3.1.

Just wanted to share what worked for me.

My total boot time in my Pismo 500 is now 55 secs, down from 3 minutes. Aleluya.

Reason why it works:

BootCacheControl is called during the startup process to create a cache of files needed to boot (up to the point were the login window is displayed).

In the 10.3.2 version the executable is called from the /etc/rc script twice:

- BootCacheControl

- BootCacheControl tag

both times its called using a shell variable set in /etc/rc which points to /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl (and if this would not exist it would point to /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl.)

But there is another important call of the executable from the loginwindow process later:

- /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl autostop 15

Unfortunately the file /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl does not exist on a(ll) updated 10.3.2 system. Thecopy command above takes care of that problem.

http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthre...b=5&o=14&part=

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    interesting. however, since i reboot my machine once every few weeks, i think i'll hold off on this one.

anyone care to try it?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Note to you, if you stop making your posts look like a chain-letter you will hold your readers attention much longer..

The first thing I thought when I read this was OMG!!11!! I read this thing on the internet!!! It made my penis grow 3 inches in 2 hours!!11!1!! OMG!!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    hehe well I can't contain my excitement if your computer sped up from 2 min to 48 sec I think you would be happy too
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Yeah maybe if it was something slightly more useful than the boot time.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I distinctly remember reading something like this no more then a few hours ago, but it warned that doing this procedure may make upgrades difficult in the future. I just wish I could find a link.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl/usr/sbin/

Er, I presume there needs to be a space befor /usr/sbin/ ...
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Well, There is a few things that would make me hesitant to do this. One it requires you to be root. It does this because your mucking around .kexts which are kernel extensions. On top of that your doing it in from a CLI because no one made an installer for it because its a cheap hack.

My best bet is I don't restart my computer enough to justify adding something that Apple left out. If apple left it out I`m going to keep it that way on this call.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Just another warning to those that are not used to playing around in the terminal. You should not play around with this. For one the terminal command is not correct and two you should never do anything that has the words sudo in it when you dont know what your doing.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I distinctly remember reading something like this no more then a few hours ago, but it warned that doing this procedure may make upgrades difficult in the future. I just wish I could find a link.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35731

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Er, I presume there needs to be a space befor /usr/sbin/ ...

Yeah, there's a space to be found in the command line also quoted in the first post in the thread I link to above.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    OoOO good to know I shall remove it before I upgrade when it comes but until then.... 48 second startups
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Useful thread. Thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Simply restarting your computer twice in a row makes the second boot much faster by default...
  • Reply 13 of 27
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Much Better?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    yes, but after the 2nd boot, all the rest boots are much much faster at the same constant speed.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I checked my /etc/rc file and there is no command for "/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl"

Early in the script it figures out where BootCacheControl is and then set a variable to it. After that there is no reference to it via a path.

Code:

BootCacheControl=/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl

if [ ! -f $BootCacheControl ]; then

BootCacheControl=/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

fi

if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then

${BootCacheControl} start

fi

Of course it's kind of dumb to have two copies of the same command in different places. The better method to fix a problem like this is to edit the rc file.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Of course it's kind of dumb to have two copies of the same command in different places. The better method to fix a problem like this is to edit the rc file.

That is probably the safer method as-well.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Depends on if you know enough about shell scripts not to fsck it up.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

[B]I checked my /etc/rc file and there is no command for "/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl"

Code:

${BootCacheControl} start

fi

And

Code:

${BootCacheControl} tag

fi

Later on in the script.

Also the original post said that loginwindow called the BootCacheControl executable that is in /usr/sbin/ and expects it to be there.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    You can use a symbolic link too but I think it will break if the file gets clobbered in an update. Or maybe not? I can't remember.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

yes, but after the 2nd boot, all the rest boots are much much faster at the same constant speed.

So I guess, in the limit, your boot time -> zero