Powerbook Now...Or Wait?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am contemplating purchasing a new 15" Powerbook within the next two days. I am not sure if I should wait though and see if the Powerbook gets an update. It is in mid cycle so the possibility is slimmer but you never know. Also, this is a later generation Powerbook so it is going to be pretty solid, whereas with a major overhaul, and Apple's track record, a new generation Powerbook could be shaky. Any thoughts...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well... this close to MWSF... unless you have access to some kind of deal that will expire in the next week I would wait until the keynote... not that anything is expected to be announced... but why not wait?

unless you really really want it NOW and will make good use out of it in that time wait until the 5th and plan out where and how you are going to buy your new laptop to save the most dough
  • Reply 2 of 28
    just wait til mwsf
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Wait if you can...just in case
  • Reply 4 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, I'm sure Apple has suddenly settled into a "3 month update cycle" pattern for the PowerBooks...

Get it now, if you want it.

The G4 PowerBook has, so far, seemed to go well into an 8-9 month revision cycle, so...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    For any Apple product, buy something with a decent price performance ratio -- most any of the portables. If you fret about your purchase being replaced a week or so after you buy, smae thing for less, or a big bump for the same money, NEVER, NEVER EVER buy any Apple product more than three months after its debut.

If you have a computer that works, use that. If you need a machine, buy the best deal going at that time. It doesn't have to be a mac.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

The G4 PowerBook has, so far, seemed to go well into an 8-9 month revision cycle, so...

The next update will take, quite probably, more time.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu [B...f you need a machine, buy the best deal going at that time. It doesn't have to be a mac. [/B]

Blasphemer.

But seriously, yes it DOES have to be a Mac if the guy is asking this question at a Mac-centric forum. What kind of nonsense is "...doesn't have to be a Mac?".

If he wants to enjoy - and do things with - his computer in the most hassle-free, painless way it should "be a Mac". Otherwise, he'd be at a Dell or Gateway-oriented message board, asking THEM for their equally biased (but ultimately wrong) opinions.

Do you hang out at BMW boards and tell people to buy Saturns (and I drive Saturns, so anyone coming after me for "dinging Saturn", shut the hell up in advance...).
  • Reply 8 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Unless you have to have it right now, I'd wait too. Just to be sure. It's only a little over a week.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

If he wants to enjoy - and do things with - his computer in the most hassle-free, painless way it should "be a Mac". Otherwise, he'd be at a Dell or Gateway-oriented message board, asking THEM for their equally biased (but ultimately wrong) opinions.

Speaking of which....
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Speaking of which....

Speaking of which....

I looked through the forum, and have found a number of dissatisfied customer threads...so...

He would be at a Dell, Gateway, etc. forum; recieving a taste of the "Dell experiance".

Sh0e
  • Reply 11 of 28
    When do you all think we will see a G5 Powerbook? I am also looking to buy a Powerbook soon, but I don't want to buy a G4 and find it updated to the G5 several months later.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    mid-late 2004?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I'd agree, its just too hot. Even with the new 90nm fab. and possibility to underclock, it just isn't probable to reduce the power consumption and make it cooler. Unless Apple and IBM pull something out from under their sleeves we won't see G5 PB until mid to late 2004, maybe in time for "back-to-school" in August. None-the-less, even if you purchase a G4 and it its upgraded several months later, you can expect the new G5's to be flawed as most first gen developments are, so you would really be waiting longer for a truely solid G5 Powerbook. Even with the upgraded G5, a G4 Powerbook will still be a strong competitor IMHO.

Sh0e
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Yeah, at some point you have to stop looking "down the road" (or you'll never buy anything) and, instead, look at "what I have".

I can go from 1024x768 to 1280x854?

From SuperDrive with 8x CD-R to 16x CD-R?

From 800MHz to 1.25GHz?

A nice wide screen?

A sexy slot-loading drive?

USB 2? FireWire 800? AirPort Extreme? Bluetooth?

This bitchin' light-up keyboard?

Oh, and wait...I get ALL the above AND I get to tote it around anytime I want?

Sold!

I don't give a flying damn what's coming down the road because I've got a really, really fine machine RIGHT NOW. Better than anything I've ever owned or used, desktops included!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    just don't buy an iPod now.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

just don't buy an iPod now.

iPod, now thats a diff story. It all depends on whether you believe in the rumors, and if so will the new "miniPods" be applicable to you. Its well worth it to wait the remaining week till MWSF tho, so yeah like alcimedes said, wait on iPods.

Sh0e
  • Reply 17 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Yeah, at some point you have to stop looking "down the road" (or you'll never buy anything) and, instead, look at "what I have".

That's true, normally. But a week before a MacWorld? I dunno. If it were me, I'd wait.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Well, yeah...NOW. But, in general, I see A LOT of people here do the "wait a bit more..." ENDLESSLY...

And the guy above specifically asked about PowerBooks, which I truly, truly believe are not slated for any sort of tweaking. Hell, they JUST had one two months ago!

What's this "oh, they might update in two months..." from everyone, when there is 4+ years of evidence to the contrary?

Hell, wait another week I guess. I don't care.

If anyone waits AFTER MWSF, then they're simply being a puddinghead about it all.

In fact, knowing what we know about Motorola and all (again, 4+ years of evidence and patterns to look to), it wouldn't suprise me in the least if the current PowerBook lineup stayed exactly as is UNTIL a G5-based model was unveiled. Lest anyone forgets, we just went through about a "no peep" 9 month silence/dry spell on the PowerBooks, remember?

What's to say it can't happen again, especially since we're still dealing with good ol' Motorola on matters of chips and so forth? I'd almost put $100 on the fact that the PowerBooks may go into next autumn STILL at their current specs. Not that they suck, mind you. Just that I don't know where there would be a huge jump? 1.4GHz I guess? A hard drive bump and perhaps illuminated keyboards across the line? Modest little enhancements along those lines...at most.

In any case, I don't see anything significant or earth-shattering for PowerBooks for most - if not ALL - of 2004. Not enough to keep me from buying one right now if I NEEDED one, MWSF notwithstanding.

Anyone expecting anything PowerBook-related next week is nuts. Anyone expecting anything HUGE and knee-weakening in regards to PowerBooks next week is nuts x 12.

• Reply 19 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

I don't give a flying damn what's coming down the road because I've got a really, really fine machine RIGHT NOW.

Sounds like someone is getting themselves ready for the (however slight) possibility of an update, and their PB being kicked off the top of the hill.

heh heh
  • Reply 20 of 28
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the year of the laptop is over! (well almost... 3 more days...)