best song lyric search page

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
if you don't know the band or the song title, what is the best search engine for songs by lyrics? and sould iTunes Music Song have this function?

thanks g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I use google for that.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    http://lyrics.astraweb.com

A few ads, but it's really good
  • Reply 3 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah google works surprisingly well for that
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I use azlyrics.com, never failed me yet.
  • Reply 5 of 12
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I normally put the words in google..phrases I'm sure of (or if I get desperate) I'll use quotes, and then I normally just put the word "lyrics" too and it finds them. Man is it hard finding lyrics, or song names for that matter, of songs you don't know... well at least with some of my hippier music. Twirly whirly happy fun music.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    You know, there are some of those lyrics sites that really bungle the lyrics.....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

You know, there are some of those lyrics sites that really bungle the lyrics.....

I've seen lyrics for stairway to heaven that had the phrase"and there's a wino down the road" hahaha.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I normally put the words in google..phrases I'm sure of (or if I get desperate) I'll use quotes, and then I normally just put the word "lyrics" too and it finds them. Man is it hard finding lyrics, or song names for that matter, of songs you don't know... well at least with some of my hippier music. Twirly whirly happy fun music.

cool...i tried google and it didn't work...then i put quotes around the phrase and "boom, there it was"....sweet...thanks for the tip

g
  • Reply 10 of 12
    To find a song when you know a lyric use Google and the following two tricks (one obvious, one not):

put quotes round a distinctive phrase (or two):

"calling you to join him"

and use an asterix for words you're not sure of e.g. if you're not sure if it's buying or building a stairway to heaven:

"* a stairway to heaven"

Which will search for any word in that position.

The problem is that sometimes these sites are pretty poor. If you're suspicious of one of the lines you can use the second trick shown above to search for lines with that word as something else. Or you can use Google to find the real band name and title and try the official band site.

And, yes, this would be a cool feature for iTMS but, like most things in this area, its a licensing problem as its usually a different company that own the rights to reproduce the lyrics. So don't expect it any time soon.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Another tip for using Google to find lyrics: type the band's name and then the name of the song.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    wait, it's not "and there's a wino down the road, i should have stolen oreos"?

shit.