iPod Woes...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all,

I am having problems connecting my 15 GB iPod to my iMac G4. The iPod is the 3rd Gen model with Dock and remote, and when I plug it in, it doesn't mount.

Very rarely it does mount, and I just can't figure out why this is happening.

When I plug it in, and launch the iPod Software Updater application, usually it will say: "iPod plugged in and not mounted on desktop".

I have tried:

- Resetting iPod numerous times

- Pluggin iPod in with the Dock, without the Dock

- Restoring iPod's software

- Wiping iPod using Norton's

Sometimes when it actually does mount, and iTunes is launched and my songs are being transferred, it might just stop half way through somewhere as if the iPod just froze up.

When I plug it in and it doesn't mount, sometimes the Finder will give me the beach ball cursor, and if I simply pull the iPod from its Dock, the Finder will become responsive again, and a message pops up telling me: "Device Removal. You hve removed blah blah blah..." ? so OS X does know when it is plugged in. Hence, I presume this is an iPod software issue.

Mounting seems to work OK in FireWire Disk Mode, but not when it is connected normally.

Other notes:

This problem happened in Jaguar before I upgraded to Panther, and now in Panther, (since I upgraded in Nov.). The iPod has version 2.1 installed on it.

Has anyone a clue what is going on, or has anyone had the ame difficulties? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    stupid question. but did you select in iTunes to use it as a mounted hard drive?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

stupid question. but did you select in iTunes to use it as a mounted hard drive?

Yes. m.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Did you do an install that you started out with a new system or just update? Also did you try your iPod on others computers? I'd guess it's your iPod and not your computer since the problem spanned over two OS's. When your computer doesn't recognize it, did you see if Disk Utility or System Profiler sees it?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Did you do an install that you started out with a new system or just update?

Assuming you are referring to Panther, I did an Archive and Install.

Quote:

Also did you try your iPod on others computers?

I can't. My iMac is the only FireWire computer I have access to. The one I'm using writing this has no FireWire ports.

Quote:

I'd guess it's your iPod and not your computer since the problem spanned over two OS's.

That's the conclusion I've drawn.

Quote:

When your computer doesn't recognize it, did you see if Disk Utility or System Profiler sees it?

Well it does recognise it, but the iPod simply won't mount. I even booted up on the Norton Systemworks CD and used the get info. thingy, and Norton's just hung until I unplugged the iPod.

If it's the iPod, which I think it is, what can I do, short of taking it in to be fixed, or eBay? m.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Ok, try this. When the iPod is plugged into the computer, force it into FireWire mode by restarting it (Menu + play/pause) then immediately pressing the fwd +rev buttons at the same time. A firewire logo should appear on the iPod screen. It should then mount. If it doesn't I would say that something is screwy with your iPod firmware and doing a restore should take care of it. Hope some of that helps
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Ok, try this. When the iPod is plugged into the computer, force it into FireWire mode by restarting it (Menu + play/pause) then immediately pressing the fwd +rev buttons at the same time. A firewire logo should appear on the iPod screen. It should then mount. If it doesn't I would say that something is screwy with your iPod firmware and doing a restore should take care of it. Hope some of that helps

Thanks for the reply, and thanks to everyone else, too.

As a last desparate attempt with the word "folly" circulating through my insipid brain, I pulled the FireWire cord out of the rear of my iMac, and put it into the other FireWire port at its rear.

To my delight, the word "folly" in my head started to wane, replacing itself with "yes!". I was now a happy chappy.

The iPod mounted as it was supposed to, and everything seems to work OK. I'm not holding my breath, (too much), as I will either suffocate, or in a few days the iPod will behave incorrectly again, and I got my hopes up for nothing.

I thought it may have been a software problem, but perhaps it is my FireWire port on the iMac, or OS X prefers devices to be plugged in from this particular port first, (as is the case with the jellybean iMacs and their USB ports for the mouse and keyboard). \

Anyway, thanks for the help again, and I shall see if the iPod goes its way for a smacked bottom or not. m.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    its still under warranty

go to an apple store and they will send you a replacement... although i have a feeling you can still rescue it...

bad move #1 was using norton norton is bad news... ONLY USE IT AS AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT

make sure you download the latest iPod utility and RESET it from there...

also do a search on www.ipodhacks.com for the "hack" that allows you to put the iPod into diagnostic mode... there should be an option to check the disk...

if that doesn't show an error then a reset with the iPod utility should bring it back to normal working conditions... you might want to do a search in apple's support knowledgebase as well (the support tab @ apple.com...)