nvidia titanium faster

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]More importantly is how this showing of Apple's new OS at SIGGRAPH may index a stronger relationship with Apple in the very near future. As noted in a previous report, Nvidia has openly stated in a C/net article that they would be the number one graphics card provider in the Mac market very shortly. Additionally, Nvidia's next generation graphics cards are fully Macintosh compatible. These cards are due sometime in August. Could a new next-gen Nvidia graphics card debut with the new Power Macs this coming August? We think so.

<hr></blockquote>

Right from nVidia's mouth.

Deep down we all knew it, as cool as ATI cards may get (ala 9700), Apple no doubt has a long term relationship (maybe even a contract) with 'little n' and we will not likely see ATI cards standard, at least in desktops, for some time.

Get used to it.. they are her eto stay. And, I for one, can't say I am at all disappointed.

Viva la NV
  • Reply 2 of 23
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Here I go again...

Apple/nVidia co-developed Quartz Extreme/OpenGL graphics card

? AGP Pro110 8x

? 512MB DDR2 RAM

? dual nv30 GPUs

? dual ADC ports

? Mac OS X/OpenGL/Maya optimized drivers

? US$1,000.00

Cheers!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Soon, Apple will adopt their naming scheme

nTroducing the nEw pOwermAcintosh

pOwered bY nVidia's nEw nForce

Fasten your safety belts, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Oh yeah. Now we are going to see more screen flashes

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 23
    animaniacanimaniac Posts: 122member
    Not possible: An August side-by-side PowerMac and NV30 release. NV30 is not anywhere near ready.

<a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4732"; target="_blank">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4732</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 23
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    The nv30 was supposed to be ready, but schedules slip -- this time to ATI's advantage.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Are Nvidia spreading themselves too thinly?

Xbox.

x86.

PPC.

Wonder if involvement with Apple's needs have added to slippage?

Or was the co-venture with M$ to blame

Nvidia are usually more punctual than this.

Oh, well. 3Dfx found to their cost...that playing 'King of the Hill'...means...sometimes...you lose, right?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 8 of 23
    animaniacanimaniac Posts: 122member
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>Are Nvidia spreading themselves too thinly?

Xbox.

x86.

PPC.

Wonder if involvement with Apple's needs have added to slippage?

Or was the co-venture with M$ to blame

Nvidia are usually more punctual than this.

Oh, well. 3Dfx found to their cost...that playing 'King of the Hill'...means...sometimes...you lose, right?

Lemon Bon Bon</strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't nVidia aquire 3Dfx?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Agh, don't remind me. I had a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI card in my beige G3/upgraded to G4/500. It worked fine for the most part, and then Warcraft 3 came out. No Glide support dammit, I had to go out and buy a Radeon 7000 PCI.

Oh well. I just hope the NV30 and the ATi 9700 will both be available for the new towers (8x AGP please!) so I can choose one at least.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    I wonder what the standard card will be in the new PowerMac. It'd be nice to have GF4 Ti standard with Radeon 9700 in the top of the line or as a BTO option.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>Are Nvidia spreading themselves too thinly?

Xbox.

x86.

PPC.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, Xbox and x86 is basically the same thing. Any by saying basically I mean exactly, spot on.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by pi radians:

<strong>

Well, Xbox and x86 is basically the same thing. Any by saying basically I mean exactly, spot on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think Lemon was referring to the fact that analysts believe that nVidia is falling slightly behind ATI becomes of the GPU they developed for the Xbox. While having some similarities, it is a different card and nVidia spent a lot of time (and resources) developing it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Now that there is the possibility that nVidia will NOT be able to wrest the performance crown away from ATI (in upcoming generation) it is only fitting that Apple goes with them and not ATI (in a typical performance limiting choice.)

From my limited understanding I have garnered this: it is not so easy to add lots of parallel programmability and yet make dramatic increases in outright speed (polys, textures, fill rate yadda yadda). Look at Matrox and their Parehalia, it doesn't really provide better performance than a Ti4600 on any of today's games. But, it might perhaps be able to do more interesting things in the future.

Rumor has it that nVidia isn't really 100% stoked about nv30. At one point one of their people might have suggested that they wouldn't meet their own performance expectations because they'd spent too much time on other projects (x-Box, nForce). That's interesting.

ATI now has two cards which are both FAST and eqully programmable, differing only in speed, but also, as is usually an ATI forte, the bottom spec can enter the market at a consumer/OEM friendly price where it will kill anything nVidia currently has in that space.

So, after years of ATI, apple could change only to find itself on the second tier card yet again. HAHAHA!!!

Realistically, both ATI and nVidia should offer admirable performance in the next generation, but I'm really interested to see if ATI has any notebook plans for its 9000 GPU ???

yes yes, I know nVidia has the best outright performance at the moment and that Apple uses their product, but for what seemed like the longest time we pined for nVidia, nVidia, and now that we might get all nVidia, it might have been better to go with ATI.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    For those of you who don't realize it, ATI spent a bunch of dough developing the graphics card in the Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube is much further removed from PPC and x86 than the Xbox is...so based on above logic it would be ATI spreading themselves thinly; which by the way is silly to think since they are both huge and successful companies.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jpjp Posts: 19member
    [quote]The Gamecube is much further removed from PPC and x86 than the Xbox is..[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

AFAIK the Gamecube uses a PPC processor designed by IBM, called Gecko. (I think the ATi card is called Dolphin).

JP.
  • Reply 17 of 23

<strong>Well, Xbox and x86 is basically the same thing. Any by saying basically I mean exactly, spot on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the x86 and the PPC GPU cards are exactly the same thing, whereas the XBox chipset was an intermediate version between the geForce3 and 4.

I disagree with the analysts -- nVidia is late with the nv30 because it is the most complex GPU attempted to date, not because of the XBox. They were on track for now until they suffered some unforeseen setbacks in the design process.

Keeping the performance crown in the world of silicon chips if a difficult and fleeting thing -- "leaders" usually only hold that title for less than a year at a time. ATI may have wrestled the crown away from nVidia for now, and if they are lucky they'll keep it beyond when the nv30 ships... but after that its up in the air again. Both companies will have their next parts coming out and due to the way they both run seperate development teams in a leapfrog fashion, either of them could take the crown next time around.

The same goes for AMD, Intel, Moto, and IBM... at least for the target markets that each of them chooses to aim for (i.e. Moto hasn't aimed for the desktop processor crown in a while).
  • Reply 18 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by JP:

<strong>

AFAIK the Gamecube uses a PPC processor designed by IBM, called Gecko. (I think the ATi card is called Dolphin).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but this has nothing to do with ATI.

The Dolphin development was done by a team of people at a company called "ArtX" that ATI bought before the GameCube arrived... thus its not strictly true that it was an ATI part. It is this team which developed the R300, and next we'll see if ATI's original R200 team can manage to build the R400 and keep the performance lead.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ok, i'm sorry but until ATI can show me they can write good drivers that get updated in reasonable time, i don't care how good their hardware is.

great hardware with shitty drivers is like a fast car with no gas.

who gives a crap what the hardware is if it won't run.
  • Reply 20 of 23

<strong>

Well, Xbox and x86 is basically the same thing. Any by saying basically I mean exactly, spot on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually they're not. The Xbox may be powered by a PIII cpu but it's connected to a TV instead of a monitor. For this reason, the graphics controller is much different. First of all, it operates at a set, lower then average (TV) resolution. Because of this it requires less memory and benefits more from anit-aliasing. Simply put, there are different requirements for the Xbox then a desktop PC. For this reason, they are different.