Cornell University

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

So much money for UVa?

If I told you how much I pay for UVa you'd be so jealous.

um, huh?

i think you misinterpreted me.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

... I'm sure you can afford it since you save so much money going to UVA.

You were saying that UVa is really expensive and not worth it when I was saying that Cornell is expensive.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

You were saying that UVa is really expensive and not worth it when I was saying that Cornell is expensive.

no, i was saying you would have a lot of money and could afford to send me since you go to UVA (which is cheap)

I can see how you could have confused it though.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Okay, stop fighting guys, this is ridiculous. Both schools are good and have their merits. It's by coincidence that one of my friends is a UVa advocate but we don't argue

To resolve the cost issue, from Cornell's website (yearly tuition):

Privately Endowed Colleges (College of Architecture, Art, and Planning; College of Arts and Sciences; College of Engineering; School of Hotel Administration)

Tuition and fees: $28,754

State-Assisted Colleges: NYS Resident (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; College of Human Ecology; School of Industrial and Labor Relations. Note: State-assisted tuition/fee numbers are estimates until the NY State budget is approved.)

Tuition and fees: $14,634

State-Assisted Colleges: Non-Resident

Tuition and fees: $25,924

UVa (from UVa's website)

Virginians - Tuition and Required Fees: $6,149

Non-Virginians - Tuition and Required Fees: $22,169

Everything else is subjective.

I am interested in applying to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell and so my original question was addressing how difficult it would be to establish NY residency so my family could save 10K a year.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by jchen

I am interested in applying to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell and so my original question was addressing how difficult it would be to establish NY residency so my family could save 10K a year.

if its anything like establishing california residency its a bitch and not easy at all

For one you have to have lived there for over a year. 2nd, you must have your own income and your own residence and pay your own taxes. you're parents will no longer be able to claim you as a dependant on their taxes then. You also are only allowed to be out of the state a certain amount of time the first couple of years and anytime you need to leave needs to be documented.

That's for california. I decided it's not worth it at this point for me. I don't know if NYS is the same or different, i'd imagine they are mostly the same
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I was a chemical engineering major at Cornell. How hard your workload is will depend a lot on what you major in .

The School of Hotel Management is (generally) considered the easiest of the seven undergrad schools. I know one kid who was a Hotelie (as they are known) who had a seminar class with the Dean, Prof Dittman. Basically, it involved listening to guest speakers and eating donuts. It was a 2 credit letter grade class, and was known as "Donuts With Dittman". It was a riot. The same kid also would get pissed because he got no sympathy from anyone when he complained about his workload

Engineering and Architechure are probably among the toughest majors you'll find there. However, I found that at least in ChemE, we made an effort to help each other out. There was little competativeness, and there was always a feeling of pulling together in our classes. That may have been just our class tho..

All in all, I really enjoyed my time there. Ithaca really is beautiful when the weather is right, and I'm not much of a Big City guy, so it fit me really well.

Oh and if you DO go there...get hockey season tix. I never did and regretted it, because it was always such a happening. The Lynah Rink Faithful were a rowdy bunch.

For all the alums: "The ref f-cks sheep! The ref f-cks sheep!"

(leaves to the sound of the Uris Chimes playing the Imperial March during finals)