OLED technology

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
has anyone heard any information on apple possibly expanding into the realm of Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) technology for future use? i know they pretty much keep prototype activity like that under tight lock and key but i think its worth some attention anyhow, especially because it has been named as one of the most important advancements. It is most likely the future of multimedia displays as well as displays in anything you can imgine really... imagine a world a lot like minority report..refreshing...or not.. anyone have anything?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What's that LCD display company that Apple bought into? They may be working on something.

But you know Apple tends to be a consumer of technology like that. I don't consider that an area that Apple would do any research on. Too costly and not their area.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Samsung... and I believe they sold their investment... or it isn't giving them anything terribly beneficial other then possibly a small discount on contracts... but I doubt it...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    although perhaps not specifically OLED itself, there are stories from the Fashion industry

several companies are starting to produce light emitting fabrics for clothing and purses...

wearable tech as clubwear might make for some hot geek girls

some OLED screens for phones and digital cameras are already surfacing in Asia
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i was just curious.. sony has a new prototype of a 24 inch oled display.. on paper its impressive... but then again on paper what isnt. although, sony does make a pretty decent monitor.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    OLED is the future, no doubt. It will be the Plamsa/LCD of tomorrow. However, it's slated for tomorrow, as in it's a few years off. Kodak just make's it's playback screen on it's camera using OLED. It's cheap, flexible, great image, etc. But we're talking about a 3" playback screen. We won't see anything monitor or TV size for a while.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

OLED is the future, no doubt. It will be the Plamsa/LCD of tomorrow. However, it's slated for tomorrow, as in it's a few years off. Kodak just make's it's playback screen on it's camera using OLED. It's cheap, flexible, great image, etc. But we're talking about a 3" playback screen. We won't see anything monitor or TV size for a while.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you KidRed. But why is that?

I've been hearing OLED-related hype for two years now. They're in production, albeit at small sizes. They're cost-effective. Why aren't they being rolled out in larger sizes?

I remember a problem with the blue colour fading out first, but I think that was plasma technology and the problem was overcome. Is there any big technical reason that large OLEDs aren't rolling off the lines now?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    OLED-technology suffers (or atleast suffered) from a short life-span. If this is an issue that have been overcome or not, I do not know.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kermit of Sweden

OLED-technology suffers (or atleast suffered) from a short life-span. If this is an issue that have been overcome or not, I do not know.

having also seen a brief story on it on tv (either techtv or discovery), i beleive it also has a very distinct problem at making the color blue. seriously, reds and greens, no problem. but blue comes out as this luminescent cyan instead.

but the sample they showed was way cool... probably about 4"x6", and they just flexed the screen back and forth in their hands as it showed highlights of a baseball game while they were toying with it.

never have to worry about a broken lcd again (and it would shave some significant weight off any portable).