IDE Male-->Female

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone have a short male to female IDE cable they'd be willing to mail to me? My brothers external FW hard drive died and since the mother board is still useable it would be nice to have two burners on my computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    IDE cables usually come with 3 plugs. One for the motherboard, the other two for CD's and hard drives. (Other things too) You should be able to put 2 CD drives on the same cable without this adapter thing you are talking about.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

IDE cables usually come with 3 plugs. One for the motherboard, the other two for CD's and hard drives. (Other things too) You should be able to put 2 CD drives on the same cable without this adapter thing you are talking about.

Well there is no cable, the hard drives male IDE just slides into the part soldered onto the circuit board. But the CD drive doesn't fit (too high) like the HD does.

The reason I need an adapter is because those cables you speak of, or at least the ones I have, are all female IDE.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I've never seen a hard drive with a male end. From what I understnd, everything is prettymuch standard when it comes to IDE connections: Hard drives and IDE devices have female ends, cables and some adapters have male ends. It is built in a way that gender switchers should not be necessary. I have seen those firewire cards that plug directly into hard drives but I still can't picture what is happening with your setup.

Maybe a picture will help. If that is possable.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It's ok I understand your confusion and will provide a picture later...if still necessary.

Computer mother boards and devices (CD/DVD drives, hard drives, any IDE drive) is normally male. Then the female cable acts as the DVDA slut and is violated by the drive and the mother board. So cables are normally all female. BUT since this circuit board is for an external firewire drive, it doesn't have male on the circuit board, it's female so that you can just slide the hard drive into place and no need for a cable.

Understand or shall I pull a picture up for you?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Wow. That is a colorful discription. I think I get it now.

I guess I got the cable genders wrong.

Unfortunately, I've never seen anything like what you need so you may need to make your own.

I don't know what kind of system you have but is is possible to bypass the firewire card altogether and connect the second burner directly to your motherboard?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wow. That is a colorful discription. I think I get it now.

I guess I got the cable genders wrong.

Unfortunately, I've never seen anything like what you need so you may need to make your own.

I don't know what kind of system you have but is is possible to bypass the firewire card altogether and connect the second burner directly to your motherboard?

Well after just seeing Orgazmo in my basement I had to through DVDA in there somewhere...if you even know what that means haha. I just figured it would be more of an interesting description

And I have a PowerBook So without some serious case modding...haha.

Honestly I've never seen what I need either \
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I'll throw in a quick suggestion I thought up last time I heard someone asking this. Just get some pins and put them in the end of a male lead. Voilla, one male IDE plug.

BTW, I don't mean hairpins, or anything like that. Short bit of metal, about 1cm long max. PCB pins, or something...

Just as a though.
  • Reply 8 of 8