iPod Always On

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it bad to always have my iPod on the charger with the backlight on? I just want to be sure I don't have to worry about burning out the backlight, or hurting the battery.

Also just curious...having the same image on a screen isn't bad for the display is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Also just curious...having the same image on a screen isn't bad for the display is it?

For a iPod, no.

Old computer systems, (I'm talking greenscreens and such) used a phosphorus that held a charge after hours and hours. Over time this could produce a ghost image over anything that changes on the screen. This is when the concept of the screensaver was born. Color monitors were more advanced and were better at avoiding this problem. New CRT screens do not "burn" and use a high power magnet to equalize the screen. LCD displays like in laptops and your iPod do not use phosphorus and will not burn a image into the screen. However they can develop stuck pixels at the roll of a dice.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    well, the ipod uses led lights, which have a typical lifespan of 100,000 hours, though that seems like alot, I'd say you should turn it off just for the sake of keeping the lights good don't want one to burn out now do we?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

For a iPod, no.

Old computer systems, (I'm talking greenscreens and such) used a phosphorus that held a charge after hours and hours. Over time this could produce a ghost image over anything that changes on the screen. This is when the concept of the screensaver was born. Color monitors were more advanced and were better at avoiding this problem. New CRT screens do not "burn" and use a high power magnet to equalize the screen. LCD displays like in laptops and your iPod do not use phosphorus and will not burn a image into the screen. However they can develop stuck pixels at the roll of a dice.

Yeah I knew about old CRT's having that problem, but I never heard of LCD's had that problem, although I assumed something as simple as the iPod LCD wouldn't. I remember on one of our ViewSonic monitors from 1994 or 1995 has a ghost image of the apple menu along the top of the screen. You can still make out the apple in the upper left hand corner
  • Reply 4 of 5
    i tried leaving my light on for a while las tnight, and apparently the ipod was using more power than it was getting from the wall, so i had to turn it off. i would imagine your battery and hard drive would wear out fast too
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Your backlight should be fine. Your iPod will die before you manage to burn out an LED. I don't think it would be bad for your battery to have your iPod always plugged in either. I wouldn't worry too much about it.