Man nearly drowns in own filth

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, you could say that he almost suffocated, instead of drowning. How do you get drowned in paper?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member

He was trapped under there for two days. This is one of the people that sells old books and magazines on the street corner for pennies which is why he had so many.

Only in the Bronx.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

The incident recalled the legendary case of the Collyer brothers, who in 1947 were discovered dead in their house in Harlem after one of them became trapped under a pile of papers and the other died of starvation.

I don't get this. The one who does the cooking is trapped and the other just sits there and starves to death?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    He must have been on the ground floor. Otherwise the floor would have fallen in.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't get this. The one who does the cooking is trapped and the other just sits there and starves to death?

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. It looks like he was blind and paralyzed:

http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Charli...0collyer2.html
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It's like that one Simpsons where Skinner gets trapped under newspapers in his garage and has to make a rocket out of an old vacuum and trash to free himself.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    People who deliver pizzas/chinese food in NYC must have some incredible stories.

Headline should read...

"Pack-Rat's Near-Death Experience!"

Knew someone like this once. Finally opted for a warehouse to live and keep all his shit.

• Reply 8 of 10
    This reminds me of a math prof? I had. His office had pile and piles of newspapers in it. I go to his office to ask a question and he points to a chair filled with papers and says, "have a seat."

Homeless man? University Professor? Who can tell the difference?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Is there a danger point for saving old e-mail?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Is there a danger point for saving old e-mail?

That's the beauty of the digital age. I likely have far more text saved on my computer than this guy had, but rather than filling rooms it's all contained in a 1" thick slab of titanium.