Why do Europeans hate and Americans love flip phones?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

The quality of the phones and whether they are flip or not are mutually exclusive

Never said they were. But I'd take the best flip phone over the best non-flip anyday. And I also think the flip design offers advantages that no nonflip phone can match. The biggest complaint anyone can come up with is that they are thick. I assume this means they are basing their claims of flip phones of yesteryear since they really aren't that thick anymore and as I said, are usually smaller in every other dimension.

The flip phone design also allows for a larger screen, better protection, and more closely matches the shape of the head so that the sound is better. Nonflip phones, sure they can be small, but if the mic is gonna be up near my cheek bone, it sucks. and you get a lot of outside noise. where as a flip phone would come closer to the mouth.

Quote:

My Nokia 3650 is the best phone I've ever used.

I'm happy for you, well not really, but it seems to make you happy.

Quote:

. What the hell else would you want in a phone?

a better design. that is the fruitiest phone i've ever seen.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    T610=crap

it has fun features...but the reception is crap...had the same problem with the T68...I will never buy a SE again

I know there are those of you out there who have yourself convinced that it is the greatest phone ever...but face...the reception is sucks...cover the top of it with your hand and watch your signal disappear

I've had great luck with the two Samsung clamshells that I have had (S105 & E715)...great reception...and the camera is far superior to the T610...flash too
  • Reply 23 of 67
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Um, maybe in Tulsa the reception sucks, but here in the civilized world I have never had an issue with the reception.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Never said they were.

You didn't say it explicitly, but you did strongly imply it:

"honestly, i don't understand why you wouldn't get a flip phone. the other phones suck and the buttons and screen are both exposed."

You say that you don't understand why someone would get a non-flip and justify it by saying the other phones suck. Sounds to me like you think it being a non-flip MAKES it a bad phone. Basic freshman logic. Maybe next semester....

Quote:

But I'd take the best flip phone over the best non-flip anyday. And I also think the flip design offers advantages that no nonflip phone can match. The biggest complaint anyone can come up with is that they are thick. I assume this means they are basing their claims of flip phones of yesteryear since they really aren't that thick anymore and as I said, are usually smaller in every other dimension.

Find me one flip phone that has bluetooth (the only recent great cell phone innovation) and I'll grant you this. I can find a non-flip that matches your "best" flip feature for feature. I bet you can't do the same.

Quote:

The flip phone design also allows for a larger screen, better protection, and more closely matches the shape of the head so that the sound is better. Nonflip phones, sure they can be small, but if the mic is gonna be up near my cheek bone, it sucks. and you get a lot of outside noise. where as a flip phone would come closer to the mouth.

That's a legitimate observation, but my experience with the Nokia 3650 belies your logic that something about it being a flip/non-flip CAUSES this issue.

Quote:

I'm happy for you, well not really, but it seems to make you happy.

My phone makes me happy? Please. Go take an intro psych class and then try to make novice behavioral observations.

Quote:

a better design. that is the fruitiest phone i've ever seen.

A matter of opinion. Opinions are like....
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

The biggest complaint anyone can come up with is that they are thick. I assume this means they are basing their claims of flip phones of yesteryear since they really aren't that thick anymore and as I said, are usually smaller in every other dimension.

Not really...

usually, they are maybe an inch shorter when closed, and then an inch(or so) longer(than most non-flips) when open.

They are only thinner when open(not even necessarily, my non-flip is about as thin as any flip phone I've ever seen)

and they are about the same width.

all in all they are bigger, unless they are closed in which case they are thicker.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    well, if one hates flip phones and yet want something that protects the keys, samsung now makes cell phones that slide... yup the phone is about half the size and thickness of most flip phones, and is a squar shape, but you pull on the phone and it lengthens to the length of a normal cell phone, exposing the keys and making a cool "swoosh" sound. I can't find the phone on the website yet, since it just came out and my friend got one... when closed, only the screen shows, so you can see who is messaging or calling you.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I have a very small flip phone. I didn't think I'd like it, but despite keylock, I've had a few... eh... 'inconvenient' accidental phone calls... this prevents all that and is still nice and small.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Interesting arguements here, I`ll give my 2¢_but its simply ludicrous to argue the point as its all a matter of personal preference. I had a flip phone, at the moment I`m cell-less but am getting another flip. I have also had a non-flip. First, I see complaints of you having to open it to make a call.. Okay well when you open it, it answers the call.. if I`m not mistaken thats the same amount of steps as it takes to answer a non flip call yes? Its thicker.. My god a whole 3cm bigger... I simply wont be able to fit that in my pocket... Though we are all or most of us apple users so I can see the obsession with having a thinner phone. I enjoy having my keypad and screen protected with having to go buy some stupid add on.. Sure I can get a belt clip (another addon mind you) but being a 19 year old kid I perfer not to have my cell phone exposed to the elements of being a kid rather than in my pocket where its safer, or I feel that way anyways even though its probably not.

I dont have bluetooth and even if I did I wouldnt use it with my cell so thats not a selling point for me.

Its simply more comfortable for me to hold a curved phone that curves to my face and actually reaches my mouth and ear at the same time that one that does not..

Quote:

all in all they are bigger, unless they are closed in which case they are thicker.

Like I said, Yeah their bigger because they actually reach your ear and curve to your face.. A feature I`m very happy with.

Quote:

but I just couldn't use it with one hand

Is it really that big of a deal to take one hand of the steering wheel to answer your phone call? Oh wait.. Honestly though what are you doing when answering a call that its an inconvenience to use another hand for a split second to answer a call. Either way if I happen to be doing something where I can not spare a free hand ( cant think of anything off the top of my head) I have never had a problem opening a phone with one hand but hey everyone IS different.

Quote:

I also hate flip phones... The hinge neccessitates opening and closing the phone while at the same time making the phone larger.

Like I said earlier, The same amount of steps to place and end a call as a non flip, So whats the problem?

Quote:

and most [all?] flip phones have the antenna sticking out from it, which imo, ruins the look.

Interesting, Most flips, if not all, I have seen have the antenna you pull out Maybe I`m just miss understanding.

I did my best to address all you non flip users with my opinions.. Keep in mind they are only opinions..

Good day everyone.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Um, maybe in Tulsa the reception sucks, but here in the civilized world I have never had an issue with the reception.

had the T68 in when I lived in Boston two years ago...it sucked a nut...I hate SE phones...the Samsungs have been great to me
  • Reply 30 of 67
    And back to the original question again...

Is it a fashion thing or are the phones more suited to the different geographical areas? Meaning is there more of a signal coverage problem in the big ?ol USA?

Personally I think Americans just love to see themselves with a phone wrapped round there cheek and an antennae sticking out. Maybe its the motion of 'un-flipping' that is ego inflating?

I?ve always had Nokia?s until recently when I got the T610, that was only because I don?t like the Bluetooth Nokia range and to be honest I miss the Nokia?s far simpler interface design.

I think that obsession with flip phones is similar to the British obsession with Nokia?s. Everyone here knows the bleep-bleep sound when a person with a Nokia receives a txt. Everyone reaches for there phone.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    I'm against flip phones for a few reasons. (Some of which might have been stated above, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread.) My next phone will definitely be a non-flip, or whichever one is cheap as hell.

1. I think having a hinge on a phone is a bad decision. Phones are used many times a day, every day of the year. Open and shut it enough times, and it looses its crispness and tension, like my Motorola phone. The hinge is also a point of weakness where two parts come together in a not-so-robust way. A non-flip phone is more durable since it is just one piece. The less mechanical parts, the better.

2. I hate having to use two hands when answering a call. I'd like to fish the phone out of my pocket and press a button with just one hand, not, in my case, having two hands, where one hand holds the base, while the other pries the lid. I have tried opening my flip phone using just one hand, and I have to contort my hand in the most awkward position trying to grip the phone while opening the lid at the same time.

3. Some flip phones do not have an LCD on the front, so it's hard to see who's calling. Also, a second LCD adds to the cost of the phone.

It's ego-inflating not when people open the phone, but when they close it. The snap of the phone closing makes them feel cool... "Yup, I just closed the deal, as you have just heard when I was talking really loud. I'm the coolest mofo on earth with the coolest flip-phone made."
  • Reply 32 of 67
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

had the T68 in when I lived in Boston two years ago...it sucked a nut...I hate SE phones...the Samsungs have been great to me

Oh, I agree, Boston does suck and the T68 was crap too.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Yeah, seriously,

After coming to the US I noticed almost everyone here loves flip phones.

In Italy, where I come from, almost no one has a flip phone.

I really do NOT understand why people want flip phones.

It's such a hassle and you need 2 hands to operate it.

You like flip phones because it covers the inside?

-> that's such bullshit. why would you need it covered? you have the key block on the non flip anyway.

Also, I like to see who's calling me before I decide to accept the call.

on a flip phone, you'd have to flip it open first, very annoying (yes, I know some phones have an extra screen, but very few)

3 words: flip phones sux
  • Reply 34 of 67
    And by the way, I couldn't help noticing how little attention to detail and craftsmanship american products are.

For example, american cars are just plain ugly. I really don't understand. And in terms of design, many fail: eg, the antenna that is positioned at the front mirror which not only abstructs vision but also gets tangled in branches and is just plain ugly.

I could think of so much more.

Anyone else agree?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    USA: Bigger the better!!
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

USA: Bigger the better!!

Dude! The size of some of your SUVs are rediculous!!!!!!!

I mean, really, wtf???

Is it THAT neccessary?

In europe we'd interpret that as kinda irresponsable, to the environment and to the supply of oil.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    [quote"honestly, i don't understand why you wouldn't get a flip phone. the other phones suck and the buttons and screen are both exposed."

You say that you don't understand why someone would get a non-flip and justify it by saying the other phones suck. Sounds to me like you think it being a non-flip MAKES it a bad phone. Basic freshman logic. Maybe next semester....

[/quote]

um... read further... i justify it by the buttons being exposed and the screen being exposed.

and lay off the freshman/college/age crap. it makes you look like an immature dickhead, but maybe that's something you're aiming to be.

Quote:

Find me one flip phone that has bluetooth (the only recent great cell phone innovation) and I'll grant you this. I can find a non-flip that matches your "best" flip feature for feature. I bet you can't do the same.

SE T39 and z600

Quote:

That's a legitimate observation, but my experience with the Nokia 3650 belies your logic that something about it being a flip/non-flip CAUSES this issue.

many of my friends have the candybar phones and they usually arent as clear to me as i am to them, and they always seem to pick up more surrounding noise.

Quote:

My phone makes me happy? Please. Go take an intro psych class and then try to make novice behavioral observations.

Took psych, got a D. guess i should read next time

• Reply 38 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Dude! The size of some of your SUVs are rediculous!!!!!!!

*snip*

In europe we'd interpret that as kinda irresponsable, to the environment and to the supply of oil.

A lot of us HERE think that too.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

I'm against flip phones for a few reasons. (Some of which might have been stated above, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread.) My next phone will definitely be a non-flip, or whichever one is cheap as hell.

1. I think having a hinge on a phone is a bad decision. Phones are used many times a day, every day of the year. Open and shut it enough times, and it looses its crispness and tension, like my Motorola phone. The hinge is also a point of weakness where two parts come together in a not-so-robust way. A non-flip phone is more durable since it is just one piece. The less mechanical parts, the better.

2. I hate having to use two hands when answering a call. I'd like to fish the phone out of my pocket and press a button with just one hand, not, in my case, having two hands, where one hand holds the base, while the other pries the lid. I have tried opening my flip phone using just one hand, and I have to contort my hand in the most awkward position trying to grip the phone while opening the lid at the same time.

3. Some flip phones do not have an LCD on the front, so it's hard to see who's calling. Also, a second LCD adds to the cost of the phone.

It's ego-inflating not when people open the phone, but when they close it. The snap of the phone closing makes them feel cool... "Yup, I just closed the deal, as you have just heard when I was talking really loud. I'm the coolest mofo on earth with the coolest flip-phone made."

1.) You assume this. In my experience its not true. My phone's hinge is tight as ever and has been opened and closed hundreds upon hundreds of times. My last phone was the same. It never lost its crispness. And I find it strange that you question the durability of the phone because of this yet do not question the durability of a brick one since the buttons and screen are always exposed. With expensive color screens now, the last thing I want is a scratch on my screen.

2.) I don't understand why all of you need 2 hands. I got a call, i reach into my poclet, and flip the phone open with my thumb...... with on hand.... always have. it seems natural to me...and I never even thought of using a 2nd hand. \

3.) Not all have an external color LCD (mine does), but any flip phone in the last 3 years or so seems to have a one or 2 line display that shows who's calling, time, battery, reception, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:

I really do NOT understand why people want flip phones.

It's written right in this thread. Do I need to translate it to Italian?

Quote:

It's such a hassle and you need 2 hands to operate it.

you don't. learn how to use your hands.

Quote:

You like flip phones because it covers the inside?

-> that's such bullshit. why would you need it covered? you have the key block on the non flip anyway.

um, so the keys aren't always being pressed, so they don't get damaged, so crap doesn't rip them off.... so the color LCD doesn't get scratched. key block....yea, i want to mess with disabling the key lock before using my phone everytime.

Quote:

Also, I like to see who's calling me before I decide to accept the call.

on a flip phone, you'd have to flip it open first, very annoying (yes, I know some phones have an extra screen, but very few)

um. you need to get out more hun, the majority have an external LCD

Quote:

3 words: flip phones sux

4 words: go back to italy

Quote:

For example, american cars are just plain ugly. I really don't understand. And in terms of design, many fail: eg, the antenna that is positioned at the front mirror which not only abstructs vision but also gets tangled in branches and is just plain ugly.

77 Chevy... antenna is in the windshield.