Why do Europeans hate and Americans love flip phones?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Dude! The size of some of your SUVs are rediculous!!!!!!!

I mean, really, wtf???

Is it THAT neccessary?

In europe we'd interpret that as kinda irresponsable, to the environment and to the supply of oil.

My SUVs? Look at my location again, I live in the UK and drive a 1.3L.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    People, they're ****ing phones, not the fruits of your loins or anything. Take a chill, y'all.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

My SUVs? Look at my location again, I live in the UK and drive a 1.3L.

Yeah naderby!!!!!!!!!!

High five!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I miss Europe so much. What can I say? US didn't live up to what i expected.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Yeah naderby!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I miss Europe so much. What can I say? US didn't live up to what i expected.

*sigh*

I guess it's time to move this thread to AO.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Applenut, I have had a flip phone and the wiring in the hinge went bad after a while. The hinges, whether or not they loose their crispness or strength, may end up putting a lot of stress on the rest of the phone depending on how the phone is opened or closed on a regular basis. I personally just think it's an inefficient design for the regular use that a cell phone gets.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Yeah naderby!!!!!!!!!!

please. go back.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

please. go back.

I just can't believe how arrogant so many americans are.

look beyond your country for once...
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

People, they're ****ing phones, not the fruits of your loins or anything. Take a chill, y'all.

Now what fun would that be? Besides we are just having a debate is all nothing wrong with that eh?

Still waiting for non-flip users to counter the points/opinions I made in my other post...

Quote:

I just can't believe how arrogant so many americans are.

look beyond your country for once.

Way to bring that up.. Now if any american says one thing to you about that post are you simply going to write it off as us being arrogant? But really what do you expect with a slander like this: "Damn, I miss Europe so much. What can I say? US didn't live up to what i expected."

How about this?

Quote:

And by the way, I couldn't help noticing how little attention to detail and craftsmanship american products are.

For example, american cars are just plain ugly. I really don't understand. And in terms of design, many fail: eg, the antenna that is positioned at the front mirror which not only abstructs vision but also gets tangled in branches and is just plain ugly

Okay so you think their ugly good for you, Wrong thread. Make a new one about it if you find it so interesting.

Can you think of another way they fail? Or is that the best you can do? I`m sure if I was really interested in being a dick to I could find something wrong with European cars to.. Unfortunately for you I am not going to get into the my country is better than yours fight that you seem to be fishing for.

Quote:

In europe we'd interpret that as kinda irresponsable, to the environment and to the supply of oil.

You know what, In america we consider aiding a country such as Iraq and then denying it as kinda irresponsable. But thats just us silly arrogant americans. NEXT: Perhaps there is a need for a huge SUV? How about a soccer mom. Room for the kids, More "portable" than a minivan.. Who knows. Maybe I`m just arrogant.

Finially you should really think before you start throwing around comments like that. I mean with people comming around talking crap like that your simply proving what the arrogant Americans really think about you.

Feel free to PM me with any comments but, And I know this is going to be hard, try to keep your anti-american crap out of this guys thread okay?
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Feel free to PM me with any comments but, And I know this is going to be hard, try to keep your anti-american crap out of this guys thread okay?

Ok guys, you've interpreted it wrongly. I am in no way Anti-American and am enjoying my time here. There are just some things I'm unhappy with, that's all. If I really did hate america, why would I be here?

I think lots of Americans in general are not interested in other coultures and don't know much about the outside world and thus think that US is probably better than any other country in almost every respect. Well, this is the feeling I got, and I did NOT come to this country biased.

Steve.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:

Interesting arguements here, I`ll give my 2¢_but its simply ludicrous to argue the point as its all a matter of personal preference. I had a flip phone, at the moment I`m cell-less but am getting another flip. I have also had a non-flip. First, I see complaints of you having to open it to make a call.. Okay well when you open it, it answers the call.. if I`m not mistaken thats the same amount of steps as it takes to answer a non flip call yes? Its thicker.. My god a whole 3cm bigger... I simply wont be able to fit that in my pocket... Though we are all or most of us apple users so I can see the obsession with having a thinner phone. I enjoy having my keypad and screen protected with having to go buy some stupid add on.. Sure I can get a belt clip (another addon mind you) but being a 19 year old kid I perfer not to have my cell phone exposed to the elements of being a kid rather than in my pocket where its safer, or I feel that way anyways even though its probably not.

I've had two flip phones and two candy bar phones and have come to enjoy the simplicity of the candy bar style. It's not a matter of size per se, but comfort in my hand. Filps just don't have it. I have never had an issue with the keys or the phone's screen being exposed and I don't really see how this would be an issue. It's not like the screen is unprotected like an iBook's screen is. There are layers of hard plastic that protect the screen from any real damage. However, the external antenna stubs on my flip phones have broken off before, so the idea a flip phone protects better then a candy bar seems misplaced.

Quote:

I dont have bluetooth and even if I did I wouldnt use it with my cell so thats not a selling point for me.

That's fine, but you don't know what you're missing. Bluetooth phones are amazing.

Quote:

Its simply more comfortable for me to hold a curved phone that curves to my face and actually reaches my mouth and ear at the same time that one that does not..

That's cool, but I haven't had any clarity issues with my candy bar phones.

Quote:

Is it really that big of a deal to take one hand of the steering wheel to answer your phone call? Oh wait.. Honestly though what are you doing when answering a call that its an inconvenience to use another hand for a split second to answer a call. Either way if I happen to be doing something where I can not spare a free hand ( cant think of anything off the top of my head) I have never had a problem opening a phone with one hand but hey everyone IS different.

I agree the idea that flip phones need two hands to operate is a silly one indeed. Now you can't understand why a person would not have a free hand? Well, my car is a standard transmission and requires two hands to operate. I guess that's why I like my bluetooth headset, it allows me to answer the phone with no hands and requires no cables that can get tangled.

Quote:

I did my best to address all you non flip users with my opinions.. Keep in mind they are only opinions..

Good day everyone.

That's cool, but I'll stick with my candy bar phones.

Consider your post countered
  • Reply 51 of 67
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Ok guys, you've interpreted it wrongly. I am in no way Anti-American and am enjoying my time here. There are just some things I'm unhappy with, that's all. If I really did hate america, why would I be here?

How long have you been in the USA? There's typically a period of culture shock in your first semester. I know people who just couldn't seem to function in Europe, and others from outside the US who had a chip on their shoulder and were very frustrated in America. The cultures of the world aren't so different in the big picture, but the little things (like cell phones fer God's sake!) are hard to anticipate and harder to adjust to.

When I was in Italy, students like me from the USA had to get used to the feeling that some people looked down at us, were suspicious of us, were bitter about the influence of American culture and big business. It's a pretty typical condition to feel slighted at first.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:

I've had two flip phones and two candy bar phones and have come to enjoy the simplicity of the candy bar style. It's not a matter of size per se, but comfort in my hand.

See this is an endless argument, all opinions. I'm 6'4 so my hands are big enough that I could wrap them around a cinderblock so any phone I use, really, is comfortable in my hand..

Quote:

it. I have never had an issue with the keys or the phone's screen being exposed and I don't really see how this would be an issue.

Because when my phone is in my pocket I have had buttons get pressed on a non-flip before.. I'm very anti keypad lock so thats not going to help me much. On my non-flip I also had it so I could press 1 then the send button and it would speed dial, So if its in my pocket pressing buttons how do I know its not making calls while I`m sitting there watching TV or something?

Quote:

That's fine, but you don't know what you're missing. Bluetooth phones are amazing.

Not an argument here but what do you do with your bluetooth phone? Just wondering, a cell phone has always just been another phone to me I never really saw the need for me to sync it with my computer or anything else like that nor would I if I had the chance really.. If you could give me some ideas of what you use bluetooth for maybe I will be able to see the light

Quote:

That's cool, but I haven't had any clarity issues with my candy bar phones.

My point was not about clarity it was about comfort.

Quote:

I agree the idea that flip phones need two hands to operate is a silly one indeed. Now you can't understand why a person would not have a free hand? Well, my car is a standard transmission and requires two hands to operate. I guess that's why I like my bluetooth headset, it allows me to answer the phone with no hands and requires no cables that can get tangled.

Okay good point but I usually don't talk on the phone while I'm driving.. and no I was not trying to get into the whole talking while driving thing I`m just saying I don't. But either way you are right on this one, Not much I can say except this has no effect on me wanting a flip for or not because I still wont answer it if I am driving and if I do, I drive an automatic

Quote:

That's cool, but I'll stick with my candy bar phones.

And I with my flips

PS: Sorry if this post is unreadable I have been up all night and don't feel like readability checking \
  • Reply 53 of 67
    I'm not sure why key locks are bad. My phone allows me to answer calls without having to disable the key lock first. I can also dial 911 without having to disable it first. Also the two clicks to disable it seem as natural as unflipping a flip phone.

As for bluetooth, the advantages to me are as follows. Being able to sync the contacts so I don't have to type every name in with the keys on the phone. Also, if I need to replace my phone, I don't have to enter my contacts all again. This feature is not exclusive bluetooth phones as many phones can sync via USB. I also use my phone as a wireless modem for my bluetooth enabled Tungsten T and my 12" PowerBook when a WiFi network is not available. Mostly for the Tungsten so I can check my email or a few web sites while I'm waiting in line or having a cup of coffee. And finally for the headset. Not only does it have that futuristic look to it, but it is very handy when I am writing something, so I don't have to do the tilted head thing, and when I'm driving so i don't have to take my hand off the shifter.

Now, again, all of this is a matter of personal preference, but I was really interested in the larger social issue. Americans and Asians love flip phones but Europeans love candy bar phones. Seems so strange to me.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    I can't offer you much on the social issue here, sorry.

but I can tell ya why, at-least, I think key locks are bad.

I have control issues with my hardware, Same reason why I login as root, I hate being told I`m not aloud to do something on my computer, Or cellphone in this case. I know, I need a password to login to my computer so what is the difference right? Computers and passwords are things that go together, to me cellphones and passwords are not..
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

I can't offer you much on the social issue here, sorry.

but I can tell ya why, at-least, I think key locks are bad.

I have control issues with my hardware, Same reason why I login as root, I hate being told I`m not aloud to do something on my computer, Or cellphone in this case. I know, I need a password to login to my computer so what is the difference right? Computers and passwords are things that go together, to me cellphones and passwords are not..

Ok, but I don't see how having to press two buttons is any less controlled by the hardware then having to unflip a phone.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    First, I have put my cell phone in my pocket a total of 2 or 3 times, and I've used them since 1998. I almost always wear it on my belt, and even then I STILL lock the keypad.

Unlocking it really isn't like a password. You don't have an exclusive thing that you type in, and it IS only two button-pushes. I've unlocked the phone so many times it's second nature, and I've even found myself trying to unlock it when it's not locked.

I don't feel like I'm any more put out unlocking a phone than opening the flip. It's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

How long have you been in the USA? There's typically a period of culture shock in your first semester. I know people who just couldn't seem to function in Europe, and others from outside the US who had a chip on their shoulder and were very frustrated in America. The cultures of the world aren't so different in the big picture, but the little things (like cell phones fer God's sake!) are hard to anticipate and harder to adjust to.

When I was in Italy, students like me from the USA had to get used to the feeling that some people looked down at us, were suspicious of us, were bitter about the influence of American culture and big business. It's a pretty typical condition to feel slighted at first.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm only in my first semester here.

When were you in Italy? I'd love to hear about your experience/reactions!

maybe I could contact you on aim?
  • Reply 58 of 67
    eh since i am a posting whore today... i chose a flip phone, and it takes me as much time to flip it open as it does to push the answer button. granted, filtering calls is all but impossible unless you have a front side display.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    I've owned the same Flip Phone for 2 years now.. has no frills or features but it's a phone and it lets me make calls. I don't really see a problem with having to flip it. Doesn't really matter to me.

As to the American Cars deal. I personally, dislike the design of Japanese cars. Also, if you have ever been in an accident, as I have in several occasions you will appreciate the steel construction of the cars, althought its not the same as it used to be, but its not as bad as the all alluminum cars. Ontop of that American's use thier cars more since it is a bigger country then britian, and the fact that your gas is twice as expensive as ours.

The bigger gripe I have is the PAL vs NTSC, the fact that the whole world isn't a GSM Celluar Network, and the Different Voltage requirements for the 2 different areas of the world. Those are more important things that should be standerdized.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't have a flip-phone now, but my next one will be for sure.

Reasons: Smaller form factor, Protection for dialpad and screen,

My perfect cell phone:

Flip-phone (preferably Apple-made)

Could be Palm OS Based, but not necessarily.

1 GB Hard Drive.

Integrated 2 megapixel camera.

Fastap Keyboard for inputing PDA information on the go.

iSync compatible with iPhoto, iCal and Address Book.

Not more than US$400.