Steve Spurrier QUITS! walks away from $15 million

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
wow. just reported on CNN. sure, he may have been fired, or responsibilities downsized, but that's a HEL of a lot of money to say "f_ck it. it ain't worth it."

here's hoping he goes back to the college game. he may not be able to handle the pro game, but damn if he can't make some exciting college games (i'd laugh my ass off if he goes back to the gators)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Come back Spurrier, come back to UF! Please?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, no less than a half hour after that story, spurrier is telling the washington post that he did NOT quit, but rather he gave the redskins permission to report on his status as they saw fit

(i.e. "i know you're going to fire me, and i hate it here. let's make some sort of deal so we both save face and end it here. you tell the media all about it when it's done, 'cause all i'll do is call snyder the manipulative little weasel that he is.")

well, that's how i read it anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Come back Spurrier, come back to UF! Please?

you know zook would be gone so fast, there'd be burn marks out the door. a lot of people may have felt a bit betrayed by spurrier's departure, but after the past couple of years, i think gainesville (and much of florida) would forgive and forget if it meant sec and national title shots again. edit: let's face it -- when it comes to recruiting, zook just can't compete with fsu and miami. but spurrier can go to the best quarterback and tell them "under my offense, you'll break every record in the sec and be a high draft pick. what do ya say?"
  • Reply 4 of 21
    hehe... i like this quote off espn.com:

Quote:

Spurrier Resigns

Seems like everybody knew that Steve Spurrier resigned from the Redskins except Steve Spurrier...

(i hate to laugh... i'm forever in his debt for bringing a national championship to UF)
  • Reply 5 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Spurrier should have learned from Pitino. Great college coaches should stay in college. Pitino is now back where he should be (at least in the right league) and he's excelling again. This isn't to say that neither are great coaches, just that it's a different game. I don't think a pro coach could go to college and be successful either (think George Karl or Larry Brown at UNC).

That said, I hate Spurrier. Dook ties. I hope he continues to fail miserably.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

That said, I hate Spurrier. Dook ties. I hope he continues to fail miserably.

wasn't that the last time duke made it to a bowl? i mean, you have to admit, the man can work magic at the collegiate level.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

wasn't that the last time duke made it to a bowl? i mean, you have to admit, the man can work magic at the collegiate level.

I think they made it one time in the last 10 years (after Spurrier left). I can't remember what season it was. But they've been their bad old selves since then. But they beat my Heels this year, so....
  • Reply 8 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

wow. just reported on CNN. sure, he may have been fired, or responsibilities downsized, but that's a HEL of a lot of money to say "f_ck it. it ain't worth it."

How many coaches has Washington gone through in the last half decade? I don't think Spurrier is the problem. He might be pass-happy, but the Redskins' problems run soooo much deeper.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I dream of the 'ole ball coach here at Texas.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Spurrier had no interest in defense, and his offensive "Fun-n-Gun" scheme was going to be of limited success against the faster, more intelligent and athletic players, the adaptability and quick responses of the coaches and players, the more complex and effective defensive schemes and the greater parity of the pro game. Everyone should have seen that before he was ever hired. He never had the personnel and never got a real chance of getting them, which is probably why he agreed to leave now when he knew he would never get the players he needed.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    He needs to get his ass to Texas. He could have his pick of Texas AND Florida talent; couple him with a solid defensive coordinator and look out.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

How many coaches has Washington gone through in the last half decade? I don't think Spurrier is the problem. He might be pass-happy, but the Redskins' problems run soooo much deeper.

for the record, when a new coach is hired for next season, it will bring it to a total of FIVE head coaches under snyder, according to espn. though i'm missing one somewhere... norv turner, steve spurrier, marty schottenheimer, coach-yet-to-be-announced... um... i'm drawing a blank.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Spurrier had no interest in defense, and his offensive "Fun-n-Gun" scheme was going to be of limited success against the faster, more intelligent and athletic players, the adaptability and quick responses of the coaches and players, the more complex and effective defensive schemes and the greater parity of the pro game. Everyone should have seen that before he was ever hired. He never had the personnel and never got a real chance of getting them, which is probably why he agreed to leave now when he knew he would never get the players he needed.

steve realized what so many other college PLAYERS realize... the nfl players move WAY faster than they do in college. steve is a master of recruiting to take advantage of team weaknesses, and he had some say as to the non-conference teams in his collegiate days to give his good players a break through the season. in the nfl absolutely NO game is a gimme, and EVERY player is a former all-american or trophy winner.

plus, he has no idealism to work with in the nfl with the players. they all have agents, are rich beyond normal comprehension, and many don't give a crap aside from cashing their checks and do well enough in practice to not get cut.

finally, he doesn't have the luxury of an 80-person roster, and he never had to answer to a single guy paying the bills... sure, he had alumni, but he could play the "good ol' boy" with the best of 'em.

let's just face facts... whenever he does decide to come back to the college game (rumors are he'll take next year off), there will be a half-dozen big schools willing to throw a LOT of money at him.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    You're right, and I hope Texas is one of them.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

for the record, when a new coach is hired for next season, it will bring it to a total of FIVE head coaches under snyder, according to espn. though i'm missing one somewhere... norv turner, steve spurrier, marty schottenheimer, coach-yet-to-be-announced... um... i'm drawing a blank.

• 1994-2000 Norv Turner

• 2000 Terry Robiskie (only coached three games to finish out the season)

• 2001 Marty Schottenheimer

• 2002 Steve Spurrier

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You're right, and I hope Texas is one of them.

so let me get this straight, you want spurrier to go to texas?

i don't see him going to a big xii school, to much competition. his ego couldn't take it. your stuck with mac b. for the time being me thinks.

ps. tough loss last night. your boys showed some sack by putting themselves in a position to tie at the end of the game after being dominated most of the second half. vince young is going to be something to watch in the next few years, but i think moving him into a starting roll, probably cost you guys over the course of the season.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

so let me get this straight, you want spurrier to go to texas?

I would prefer any of the following:

Jerry Gray

Jimmy Johnson

Sean Payton

Kirk Ferentz

But yeah, I'd take Spurrier. I want Brown gone, that's the key. 65-13 sealed his fate in my eyes, he is no longer worthy of his salary and title. He is embarassing.

I don't think Spurrier is a miracle-worker or a once-in-a-lifetime genius, but he's got fire and arrogance, two HUGE problems with UT right now. I'll take fun'n'gun over... whatever the **** our joke of a offensive coaching staff decides to do this minute.

Quote:

i don't see him going to a big xii school, to much competition. his ego couldn't take it.

He coached for two decades in the SEC, which is as tough (if not toughter) than the BigXII.

Quote:

your stuck with mac b. for the time being me thinks.

I know, and it makes me want to drink heavily.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Snyder's an idiot. I don't even follow football that closely and I know about this guy's rep. Spurrier is an ego-maniac, so it's no surprise it didn't work out, but if I were the owner of a team I'd do my best to make Steve a happy camper. The guy can be a success in the NFL, given the right environment. Hell, bring him to Chicago... he can swap Gator stories with Grossman. I'd love to have him here.

The press conferences alone would be worth the trouble!

• Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I know, and it makes me want to drink heavily.

i have a large bottle of makers mark that i got for christmas, help yourself. a little burbon and coke might be just what the doctor ordered. be sure to leave me some in case we lose to lsu though.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    You won't lose to LSU, but if you do we can drown our sorrows together at a bar in Dallas. We'll sing sad songs and cry.

If Mack Brown was here today, I would get on my knees and beg him to get the hell out of town. PLEASE!