iTunes for PC just the beginning?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I haven't been a PC user since the 90s, but this week I was "forced" to start using a PC for work-related tasks. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by iTunes for Windows.

I knew that Apple would do a good job, but I figured that it would run like crud on a PC since Windoze PCs have a ton of crud code in them. As a matter of fact, (although I hate to say it) iTunes runs better on my P4 machine than my G4 machine. iTunes on my PowerMac skips/jumps if I do something major like heavy Photoshop work while listening to music, but the songs continue to play smooth of the PC. Go figure.

I hope that Apple continues to produce Windoze-compatible software for the PC. I'd love to see things like iMovie and iChat come to the PC ... particularly if they're done as well as the iTunes conversion was. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe Apple could make somekind of app that installs over Windoze and makes the Windoze interface a little more user-friendly ... like a combination of OSX and XP. The best of both worlds.

Do you folks think Apple will continue to develop software for the PC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Apple made iTunes for windows for a simple reason.

let users download iTunes for free > let them enjoy experience > hope they use the iTMS > wish they want an iPod to go along > make them buy an iPod to go along > let them see that macs are easy to use (example is the iPod and the iTMS) > hope they make their next computer a mac > Teh WiNn!!1!!! or something like that

There is no reason to write some new kind of interface for windows, because that's not what the mac is all about, and it would not be what Apple wants at all.

Apple will continue to make software for windows. They need to update QuickTime and AppleWorks from time to time? you know.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

iTunes on my PowerMac skips/jumps if I do something major like heavy Photoshop work while listening to music

Huh? What kind of PowerMac do you have? I have never had any of that happen to me, I am a heavy photoshop user, My iTunes is always going even when I`m completely out of RAM but have NEVER had that happen to me. And this is from a 4+ year old machine, Albeit a dual processor machine but still.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Apple will only develop PC software if there is a revenue stream for it. iTunes and the iTMS is available for the PC to help drive iPod sales. What revenue do the other iApps generate? Only iChat would seem to have a revenue stream with the iSight.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Huh? What kind of PowerMac do you have? I have never had any of that happen to me, I am a heavy photoshop user, My iTunes is always going even when I`m completely out of RAM but have NEVER had that happen to me. And this is from a 4+ year old machine, Albeit a dual processor machine but still.

The PowerMac that was experiencing the skipping/pausing was a G4 500 single. (It only happened when I was dealing with huge tif files--around 24MB and larger--and was using a series of processor-heavy actions and/or filters.) Granted, it's not too fair to compare a 2.67GHz P4 to a 500MHz G4, but the observation is still true.

Also, I purchased the PC (with 1Gig of RAM and 80GB hard drive) for just under $1,100 ... and a used G4 500 with a Gig of RAM and 80GB hard drive (like mine) sells used at resellers (like PowerMax) for $800-$1000 depending on extras ... so price wise it's a close comparison.

Don't get me wrong. If my boss hadn't forced me to get a PC so I could run some PC-only 3rd-party software, I never would have bought a PeeCee. I was just pleasantly surprised with iTunes for Windoze and (in truth) it's clear PCs have come a long way since the crash-every-day era of the 90s.

Windoze is still a mess and should REALLY be simplified if Micro$oft cared about giving customers a user-friendly interface, but I honestly have to say that if my old PC back in 1999 worked like this PC I "might" not have switched to Mac.

FYI, I'm using a PC from Falcon Northwest. A friend of mine suggested the company as one that makes some of the most reliable PCs around. FNW is mainly considered a "gaming PC" manufacturer, but I just wanted a reliable PC for Photoshop, web, and graphic design work. Since I still have bad memories of crashing Dells and Compacs from the 90s, I didn't want to go with a giant "assembly line" style PC factory like Dell or Gateway.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    iPhoto comes when Apple makes a digital camera.

iMovie when they make a digital video camera.

iCal when they make a PDA.

And Safari when they make a website.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong.

I didn't don't worry I was just wondering what the deal was with the skpping, never had iTunes skip is all.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe Apple could make somekind of app that installs over Windoze and makes the Windoze interface a little more user-friendly ... like a combination of OSX and XP. The best of both worlds.

(Yes, I know it looks like crap. I put it together in a few minutes)

But that would be totally awesome. The awexome ness of OSX and the ability to support the tons of XP apps
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe Apple could make somekind of app that installs over Windoze and makes the Windoze interface a little more user-friendly ... like a combination of OSX and XP. The best of both worlds.

The "app" would have to be a worm that infects and reprograms all the MS and third party Windows apps on the system to make them work and behave more like OS X. If MS could just do this, they would.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

(Yes, I know it looks like crap. I put it together in a few minutes)

But that would be totally awesome. The awexome ness of OSX and the ability to support the tons of XP apps

Look at this kid. Have you ever even used a mac before? From what I gather you are more of a PC guy. I don't mean this to be a flame or anything like that, but have we won another over from the dark side?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Look at this kid. Have you ever even used a mac before? From what I gather you are more of a PC guy. I don't mean this to be a flame or anything like that, but have we won another over from the dark side?

I'm confused. Is the first sentence supposed to be "Look at this kid", as in look over there at that kid!, or as "Look at this, kid", meaning hey kid! Look here!?

I use a pc, but I'm not proud of it. The only 2 problems I'd have moving to apple are all my files on this comp and the fact that most all apps are for windows (Well, I guess VPC takes care of that). If I had a choice, I'd be in the car right now driving to Raleigh to the apple store to pick up a 12 or 17 inch pb.

In the last part, are you saying that you 'won' me over from pc's? I'm confused
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

If I had a choice, I'd be in the car right now driving to Raleigh to the apple store to pick up a 12 or 17 inch pb.

Let's all savour the irony of that statement for a moment shall we......

2 off-topic replies:

Firstly, none of my business, but I took DMBand's comment as a compliment in a roundabout sort of way.

Secondly, why (if you're talking new powerbook) don't you pick youself up a second hand Mac at least running Jag, and give it a burl? Then you'd really be in a position to make a choice, wouldn't you?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Who's burl?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Let's all savour the irony of that statement for a moment shall we......

2 off-topic replies:

Firstly, none of my business, but I took DMBand's comment as a compliment in a roundabout sort of way.

Secondly, why (if you're talking new powerbook) don't you pick youself up a second hand Mac at least running Jag, and give it a burl? Then you'd really be in a position to make a choice, wouldn't you?

Depends. If I find one that sill works for *cough*cheap*cough* price, then I would, but I'm still saving money to possibly get an iPod (waiting to see about a miniPod)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Who's burl?

Oh Linguistically Challenged One, I think you mean "What's a burl?' don't you?

A burl is something a dill does while they're procrastinating over a purchase.