Totaled iBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am sorry to ask for help like this but... My iBook was totaled a while ago (dropped it on cement with the lid open), screen cracked, HD doesnt work, cd door brook. Its an old Indigo, but it is all I have for a computer and not old for me. I was wondering if anyone could help me get it running again with some old spare parts. I tried ebay but it is to expensive, I am a student and I cant afford 400 USD for repairs. I will pay S/H on the parts. Sorry to solicit help like this but it this really means a lot to me. Thanks for your time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I think you're pretty much SOL.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    mebbe you should sell yours for parts and pick up one of similar vintage.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    problem is the LCD screen. that alone will run you well over $400.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

mebbe you should sell yours for parts and pick up one of similar vintage.

I agree that this seems to be your best option. You'll spend no more than the same out of pocket than you would to try repairing yours.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I agree that this seems to be your best option. You'll spend no more than the same out of pocket than you would to try repairing yours.

Agreed. Sometimes these things happen. When I get my Pismo back from Apple I'd talk to you about a fair price.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Isn't there any type of insurance plan for laptops?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yes, but it's usually not worth it. It's easier and cheaper to include your laptop in a renter's/home owner's insurance plan.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, but something like SafeWare has a $50 deductible, and most homeowners policies are likely to have one in the $500 to $1000 range.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Yeah, but something like SafeWare has a $50 deductible, and most homeowners policies are likely to have one in the $500 to $1000 range.

I'd personally rather have ALL my stuff covered with a higher deductible than just my laptop with a lower one.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You just get a rider for it with a low deductible.