Integrating iTunes into my stereo system

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, I am looking for some advice from all of you who have made a full blown transition to mp3's. I am curious how different people are integrating their iTunes music into their component stereo systems.

I have an airport connected 12" pbook, a home network (ethernet) with two other G4 towers and a 40gig iPod. I have no stereo to speak of and want to buy something right away. I am trying to figure out how to manage my music in the most elegant way possible. I have thought about the Slim mp3 server http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html if anyone has it or something competitive please post your thoughts. What I guess I really wish had was an apple branded rack mountable Mp3 server with ethernet, an airport card and a 100+ gig drive...8)

I am up to about 25 gigs of music and it is rapidly outgrowing the drives on my computers and iPod. I assume I can store my library on a external firewire drive.. but will it still be accessible across the network...?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I take it you've checked out the Squeezebox from slim devices too. It's the Wi-Fi update for the Slimp3? Ah, following your link it takes you to a page about the Squeezebox, I thought you were talking about the ethernet version.

I personally use a Sonica USB digital out and a *really long* fibreoptic cable to get sound to my stereo and then use the DAC built into my Minidisc deck to convert back to analog. Works fine though the Sonica plays up with heavy network usage.

The only minor annoyance is the inability to control volume through the computer. I really need to get one of those keyspan USB -> ir things so I can use my multi-remote for both iTunes and my stereo.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I would not go with a really long optical cable, optical quality degrades severely after about 12 feet. Check out this from radio shack. It's a little on the pricey side, but you can find a 900mhz version probably on eBay, or maybe even in radio shack for a lot less than $99 USD.

You are able to put your music library onto a FW drive and have it available across your network. You just have to direct iTunes to look in the right place for it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    How far away will your stereo be? You can get a miniplug to RCA cable for 5 bucks, and almost all stereos worth their salt have RCA inputs. Granted, this isn't going to give you the best output, but really, you're playing mp3.

Definately the easiest and quickest solution.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have my iMac right next to the stereo so it will get a mini plug as soon as I find it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i use me emac speakers for general use, ipod hooked up to stereo system (mini to rca) for hanging out wih friends, and i connect the emac to the system for parties (to make use of the crossfade feature in itunes, which DESPERATLEY needs to find its way onto the ipod).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    On my iMac, I have a set of Monsoon MM-1000 speakers and a subwoofer, which, sadly enough, sounds better than my main stereo. If you have 2 speakers, a subwoofer, and $150, you can get a system for your computer that blows away 99% of stereo systems.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I was in the situation you were in a few months ago, and just got some powered speakers to use with my iPod, rather than a full-blown stereo. It was the simplest and most compact solution.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice so far. My tower is in an office type room. And I am hoping to build a component stereo system in my living room. The idea is that I would have a receiver for radio, CD player, my current DVD player and my television. I want to wire several remote speakers from this setup to my various rooms and outside as well.

I get into the details here because this raises an important philisophical discussion about Apple's entire "Digital Hub" concept. Like it or not, the digital hub in most peoples lives is in their living rooms not in their offices. As beautiful as it is, I don't want my Apple tower in my living room.

I hear these rumors of a 30" monitor and I assume that it must also have some TV type functionality to it. I know Steve is a TV hater but it really is the missing link in the digital hub concept. I patiently wait for a apple component stereo that has a tv tuner / tivo type device, superdrive, and works as a mp3 server, with a large upgradeable hard drive. It should be networkable with your mac and it should plug into your reciever and play thru your speakers. This would be a totaly new product and it would really have no competition in the marketplace.

Until that day. I will take some of the advice you have all given, thanks.