Browsers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    teufelteufel Posts: 24member
    Can one of you help me ? I was using Safari 1 since a few months, but i bought yesterday an HP PSC 2410 multi function printer, and since i installed the driver (prints very well by the way), Safari refuses to open most sites, and quits "unexpectedly" right after.

I've had to resort to IE, which is painfully slow, and not very pleasant.

Are there any known issues here, and which altenative browser would avoid me this problem ?

Thanks, and happy new year !

Pierre
  • Reply 22 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Use Moz or FireBird as a back up and Safari as the main browser, and IE for those sites that need IE. Of course you can enable a debug menu in Safari with numerous utils from Versiontracker.com which can let Safari "pretend" to be other browser to sometimes help.

Quote:

I kinda wish someone would release a web browser that makes very efficiant use of screen space. I run 1024x768 on my Pismo and the top 1 1/4 or more is prettymuch wasted space in most browsers. I remember OS 9 being a little better about this.

Oh yea, my choice would be Safari. Second place iC

Exactly! I'm on a 12" PowerBook. This is why I hope Apple eventually includes a "Full Screen" feature for Safari, like F11 on PC IE. Some people hate it but I'd like it, I already have Saft which sort of allows this, except tabs don't hide and it reverts Safari to looking Metal, which is ick. Metal Safari how can you stand that!!!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    teufelteufel Posts: 24member
    Just to update you, thanks for pointing to Camino, it works fine. I may try to reinstall Safari at some point, maybe it just reached some incompatibility when i installed the HP printer driver, although this is real weird.

In terms of browsers, and Maccing, my bank has an online service that is in Java, but is supposed to work on windows only.

It does not load with Safari, but i have been able to bank online (i live 2500 km from my bank) using my Powerbook and IE.

I tried with Camino and it worked too.

So maybe Safari has something specific that prvents it to handle certain sites ?

I'll try Omniweb 5 when it comes out.

Best, Pierre
  • Reply 24 of 29
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Firebird nightlies are excellent.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

The best browser is the one that most suits your needs and taste. I personally prefer Camino only because I dislike the brushed metal look of Safari. Unfortunately Camino's development has slowed way down since Safari was released.

Oh brother. Two weird points.

* You can turn off brushed metal with Safari Enhancer.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17776

* Camino nightlies are still developed a lot.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I use Mozilla almost exclusively on Mac and PC. The only thing that sort of pisses me off right now is Mozilla on Mac X has some sort of issue with flash and slowdowns.

Nick
  • Reply 27 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I suspect that when Omniweb 5 is released, though, it'll blow the pants off all the other browsers.

Nothing to suspect. They're the only ones trying to devise a real tab alternative in workspaces, while also improving on the tab concept itself for the morlocks...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I like omniweb the best, OW5 should be out soon and put to rest the instability that plagues omniweb now.

OW does not crash enough for me now to hate it and it is my default browser.

OW5

EDIT:

Forgot, if you use the "shortcuts" in OW then you will love Sogudi for Safari. Sogudi basically just adds the "shortcut" feature to Safari.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This thread makes me nostalgic for the pre-Safari days. Ah, remember the era of widespread browser malcontents? Every other thread was exactly like this one.

*sniff*

brings back memories