seeking advice on routers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...DSL is up and bellsouth.com modem is in transit.

Can anyone comment on the Macsense Xrouter Pro based on personal experience? This particular device has been difficult to locate in-stock on the web and I cannot find the item on Macsense's own webstore - which leads me to wonder about it's popularity.

Never having used a router before, I'm leaning towards the Xrouter Pro because of Macsense's Mac support, ability to update firmware on the Mac platform, and it's firewall features - but Linksys BEFSX41 and BEFSR41 are also under consideration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by critterdoc

...DSL is up and bellsouth.com modem is in transit.

Can anyone comment on the Macsense Xrouter Pro based on personal experience? This particular device has been difficult to locate in-stock on the web and I cannot find the item on Macsense's own webstore - which leads me to wonder about it's popularity.

Never having used a router before, I'm leaning towards the Xrouter Pro because of Macsense's Mac support, ability to update firmware on the Mac platform, and it's firewall features - but Linksys BEFSX41 and BEFSR41 are also under consideration.

Dont bother, I have one, I dont even use it, I used the older version of the same router which works better. the Xrouter Pro wont let you even do a traceroute(its a problem with the router) and they wont update the firmware to do it. it also for some reason is slower the the old Xrouter(non pro), the one I use now had a 4 port 10/mb hub, and I get better performance on it(I just plug a switch into it) than when I use the Router Pro(wich has a built in 10/100 switch). It isnt a bad router I suppose, but when the older model gives you better performance and less/no bugs I would go with something else.(I only keep it the router incase I need a backup)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I went cheap but haven't regretted it once. It has 4 10/100 ports and gives good range.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Whatever they go for now, I'll sell you mine for half price. I got one sitting on my desk doing nothing since I got a new wireless router. It worked absolutely fine when I had it set up.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I can't complain about my SMC Wireless Barricade... it's worked well for me, and the web-based interface and updates make it compatible with any platform.