Why doesn't Safari have a true toolbar?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering recently about Safari's strange way of managing toolbar items. You have to look in a menu to add and remove buttons, as opposed to Customise Toolbar, and you can't have the icons in the way you want them. For example, I'd rather have my home button to the left of the <- and -> buttons. Why doesn't Safari have a standard Cocoa toolbar? The new metal finder does, so there's no reason why Safari shouldn't.

Why is this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I can think of a few things. With standard toolbars, you can't include the slider that exists between the address field and the Google search field. Also, when Safari was made, dual widgets like the Previous/Next buttons and Smaller/Larger text buttons were impossible to do with the standard toolbar. Also, I think the SnapBack button would have been difficult with standard toolbars.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

I can think of a few things. With standard toolbars, you can't include the slider that exists between the address field and the Google search field.

omniweb did/does it (or at least I assume you can slide the bar...)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Ever used Apple Remote Desktop? That's even worse... they went to a lot of effort trying to make a new toolbar that looks like the normal ones - but you customise it through a dialog box and can't drag icons around.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

I can think of a few things. With standard toolbars, you can't include the slider that exists between the address field and the Google search field. Also, when Safari was made, dual widgets like the Previous/Next buttons and Smaller/Larger text buttons were impossible to do with the standard toolbar. Also, I think the SnapBack button would have been difficult with standard toolbars.

Well, a bit of clever coding should solve this small problem...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how come if safari is "open source" websites like wieghtwatchers.com and others say need IE or Netscape. what does open source mean? I would like safari to be able to "send" a page like Netscape and IE allow (it opens mail program and inserts the page as a link) this shortcuts having to cut and paste. look under netscape file "send page as.. send page send link"

some sites say safari will get an upgrade early this year, what do you expect?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Open Source means that the code for safari is freely available for you to download and use / change as you see fit. (with some conditions to licensing)

Sites that state they require Netscape or IE are just badly programmed. Normally the developer has used a custom function only available in one browser instead of sticking to the standards.

Click the apple next to the address (this highlights the whole address). Then click: Safari->Services->Mail->Send Selection

or

Drag previously mentioned apple into the message of you new mail window. (Use expose or cmd-tab as you desire)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

omniweb did/does it (or at least I assume you can slide the bar...)

The "bar" you see is a standard spacer which doesn't move. Going by that screen shot, it looks as if the search box isn't resizeable and the address field expands to fill the remaining space in the toolbar.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Open Source means that the code for safari is freely available for you to download and use / change as you see fit. (with some conditions to licensing)

Well, but Safari isn't open source. The frameworks are, but not the application.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    gargoyle-

Click the apple next to the address (this highlights the whole address). Then click: Safari->Services->Mail->Send Selection

thanks, i've asked this question before and you took the time to answer AND make sense.