Why do Europeans hate and Americans love flip phones?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I've never had a flip phone, and wouldn't want one. The design strikes me as mechanically weak. I have had a Nokia 8810 that has a sliding cover over most of the keys. That seemed like a good basic design but I'd have wanted it to cover the rest of the keys as well. As things were, I had to first close the cover, then press one more button. Not easier than a plain keylock.

I don't think the screens need protecting. I've never broken a cell phone screen except by dropping one phone several times. The impacts broke the internals, cover over the screen would've done zip.

Likewise, I've never had keys come off phones or saw a phone with that problem. Only phone I've seen with any sort of key problem was a Nokia Communicator, and that has full key cover.

If it's designed right (good button placement, no artificial delays or animations) a keylock is more efficient to use than a cover. It's reflexive - you draw the phone out of your pocket, and the fingers open the lock before eyes can fix on the screen. You don't have to change the natural grip on the phone. Just like a firearm safety.

Most Nokias have this good button placement. My current phone (SonyEricsson T68 ) is significantly worse in this department. I can see why a person accustomed to bad keylocks prefers a key cover of some sort.

Antennas are the most vulnerable (and ugly!) part of a cell phone. It's been five years since I had a phone with external antenna. Never going to buy one again.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    Flip phones rock, and I have had multiple models of both flip and non-flip. First of all, makes them even more compact. Protects the keys, the screen. And best of all, when you flip it open, you're answering the call. No button needed. Plus the non-flips you always accidentally press buttons and you have to worry about key lock.

Flip is simply better in every respect. I agree with a previous poster who said there is no reason NOT to want a flip phone.

Plus, who doesn't want to be like Captain Kirk? If you don't want to be like Captain Kirk, you have a serious mental problem and should seek help as soon as possible before you hurt yourself or others.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Antennas are the most vulnerable (and ugly!) part of a cell phone. It's been five years since I had a phone with external antenna. Never going to buy one again.

And some of those antennae don't even work! When I worked at Best Buy long ago and analogue cellular phones were still the norm, we had a cellular representative tell us that several of the Motorolas had "dummy antennae." He said that the only reason that they were there was because the public has this notion that something HAS to have an antenna to get the best reception. In reality, the antenna for the phones ran down the side spine of the unit. I would imagine that there are still many phone models that have "dummy" antennae.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Flip phones rock, and I have had multiple models of both flip and non-flip. First of all, makes them even more compact. Protects the keys, the screen. And best of all, when you flip it open, you're answering the call. No button needed. Plus the non-flips you always accidentally press buttons and you have to worry about key lock.

Flip is simply better in every respect. .

Maybe you should try a non flip phone. It's really not like what you say.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

First of all, (having a flip) makes them even more compact.

I don't follow your logic. Why does having a flip make them more compact? (if you're thinking about the microphone placement, take a look at Bluetooth headsets and think again)

Then again, Nokia 8xxx series (non-flip, non-slide) are as small as I like a phone to be. I don't know if the phone is in my jeans' front pocket unless I check by hand. Even if adding a flip made the phone even smaller, where's the benefit?
  • Reply 66 of 67
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I've had two non-flip phones (a Nokia 3310 and an SE t610). I put it in my pocket or bag every day. I've never accidently dialed anyone. I've never scratched the screen or damaged the keys.

Use whatever phone you prefer. Hating a phone because it flips or doesn't is silly nonsense.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Dude! The size of some of your SUVs are rediculous!!!!!!!

I mean, really, wtf???

Is it THAT neccessary?

In europe we'd interpret that as kinda irresponsable, to the environment and to the supply of oil.

BINGO!

It's rediculous! They just keep getting BIGGER and ****IN' BIGGER!

I just went to the LA Auto Show yesterday, and let me just say .... it only gets worse in the near future! \