iPod - therefore I am

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A very interesting article on the social impact of the iPod, from the UK's Guardian newspaper here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    What type of self respecting iPod owner calls himself a poddie?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

What type of self respecting iPod owner calls himself a poddie?

no doubt, speaking of that, I need to "go"
  • Reply 3 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Okay that does it. The cult of the Mac is back. I have seen sign everywhere the last month.

APPLE IS JUST A COMPANY THAT MAKE GREAT TOOLS. ITS NOT A RELIGION.

Macintology have been proven to be based on false profets years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    nilesniles Posts: 3member
    Much as I love my iPod, it is just a thing, an accessory, albeit a sleek, shiny and sexy one. I've had my 10 gig model for for about 15 months, and its not even approaching two thirds full...

To paraphrase one of the articles contributors:

"Why would you want to carry around 10,000 songs? Nobody needs that number. . They think it offers limitless potential, but our lives need editing, or it ends up like digital TV - hundreds of channels and nothing to watch."

Quite apart from the almost festishistic adoration the iPod attracts (as Anders says, Cult of Mac? Its a computer for gods sake.) does its popularity not in some way reflect the march of consumerism (more, better, faster, newer) over other ways of making sense of the human condition?

Hmm, think the new year has made me unduly reflective \

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 12
    What an odd article. I feel that I should write and congratulate him on not being one of the commoners, as pointing out that fact at great length was the basis for the whole article.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I think the broad appeal of the iPod comes down to the fact you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want...or are.

I've still got my Rev.A 5GB model running along nicely, and it's rarely ever got more than a couple gigs of music on it, yet I've got about a 50GB iTunes library with hundreds of CDs yet to rip. I simply don't feel the need to carry my *entire* music collection with me at all times. Others do.

Much like people, the iPod looks very docile, inviting and uncomplicated. Of course on the inside they are all very different in their complexity.

Which leads me to the sudden and startling revelation that the navigation wheel on the iPod looks like a nipple.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

"Why would you want to carry around 10,000 songs? Nobody needs that number. . They think it offers limitless potential, but our lives need editing, or it ends up like digital TV

If I had an iPod, I wouldn't just use it for music (my MP3 collection is less than 2GB: bring on the miniPod) but as a more general portable hard drive. I would be interested if Apple provided support for a variety of media, including video. Hmmm, appears this musing is drifting toward _ Low Cost FireWire TV input device?...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The big advantage I find is that I never find myself thinking "I wish I'd packed /that/ CD, I want to listen to it now...". I have all my music with me, all the time, so I can satisfy any random music urges that come on me...

But I don't just view the iPod as a purely musical device. I have the 40GB, and a mere 13GB of music - the rest of the space I use as a portable hard drive, which I can transport big files on. I just need Firewire to become more standard, though... Either that, or get the USB lead.

The main attraction is that it "just is". It works, pretty much flawlessly, and it's small and light enough that you don't really notice it. I can't really say that about much of the othe technology I own... But then, I'm not on a Mac ... yet.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    The iPod has and will continue to revolutionize how people think of music. Spend 10 minutes on the NYC subway and all you will see is white headphones. iPod is it, it's a status symbol and a cultural icon. I have never heard of a person that has owned an iPod and not been so floored by the simplicity and usefulness that they can never own another portable music player. I wouldn't be surprised to see in a few years iPod becomes the generic term for mp3 player like walkman and discman did 20 years ago.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

[B]The big advantage I find is that I never find myself thinking "I wish I'd packed /that/ CD, I want to listen to it now...". I have all my music with me, all the time, so I can satisfy any random music urges that come on me.../B]

YES! this is soooo valuable, so many times I would find myself with my trusty CD wallets(holding about 30 of my 100 something CDs) and on a trip and realize I forgot an album I really wanted, or I have a sudden desire to hear a certain song. Now that I have an iPod(20GB) that is no longer a problem. Sure I still have more music than can fit on the iPod, but it's just so nice having so much there at one time.

Not to mention it trumps a CD player in every respect with the shuffle feature. I don't care to shuffle through each album, I shuffle through my entire collection, very fun to do.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Heck I'm regretting not going bigger then 10GB. I have 2GB left and I'm sure I will fill that up quickly. Guess I should trash all the christmas music.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Heck I'm regretting not going bigger then 10GB. I have 2GB left and I'm sure I will fill that up quickly. Guess I should trash all the christmas music.

My 20 gig is full.