NFL Playoffs 2003-2004: The Official Thread

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, in an attempt to maybe converge some comments about the playoff teams (rather than seven hundred cropping up all over the place), i'm starting the thread to take us through the super bowl. make your comments about teams that made it (maybe even teams that didn't, but please don't keep whining about your teams not making it once the first playoffs start -- hey, i gave up on my bucs four weeks ago). that being said, here are your contenders:

Saturday, Jan. 3 wild cards

Tennessee at Baltimore -- 4:30 p.m. ET (ABC)

Dallas at Carolina -- 8:00 p.m. ET (ABC)

Sunday, Jan. 4 wild cards

Seattle at Green Bay -- 1:00 p.m. ET (FOX)

Denver at Indianapolis -- 4:30 p.m. ET (CBS)

the teams waiting for these games to finish include:

AFC

New England (homefield throughout)

Kansas City

NFC

Philadelphia (homefield throughout)

St. Louis

i don't know about anyone else, but this has got to be the most unpredictable gang of teams i have ever seen going into the playoffs. all teams have seen their hot streaks, and their horrible chokes. some seem like teams of destiny (see: green bay, new england), others seems dangerously low seeds (see: tennessee).

any thoughts? right now, if emotion mean anything in this game, we may see a rematch of the last time favre won a super bowl, being new england vs. green bay.

edit: baltimore has a great defense and rushing game, but they MUST get ahead in their games to win, and i just don't see them doing it four consecutive games to win it all.

edit: denver has a legit shot to get to the afc championship game, especially since they rested their big names for the green bay game (the pack may still have won, but cheese-heads should still send a thank you card to denver for not making them work for the victory too hard)

edit: both st. louis and kansas city have shown their achilles' heels, but by the time they did, they had won too many games to fall out of the playoffs (see: vikings, a team where the defense was shown to be made of paper around week 10 by the new york giants, and then dropped four of their seven losses to the worst teams in the nfl... ouch)

edit: i just don't see either dallas or carolina getting past the second round (well, one of them HAS to win the wild card game, right?)

edit: i would HATE to be in seattle's shoes right now. hmmm, we suck all year on the road, to go play the magical packers in lambeau. groan... pass the antacid.

p.s. what a crazy day in the last week with the green bay/vikings games. absolutely nuts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    oookay, seems no one has an opinion just yet, so i'll make some predictions and see what we can get going:

today: titans vs. ravens, and cowboy vs. panthers

i say titans over ravens -- they have just enough defense to stop baltimore (really, load 8 in the box and jamal is stopped... unless you're cleveland), and they have the better offense with a passable running game and mcnair.

as far as the cowboys/panthers are concerned, both have lost considerable steam at the end of the season, and both benefitted greatly from schedules against weak teams this year. personally, i say it's a toss up, with panthers probably winning due to homefield.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Eddie George just went off to the lockerroom for x-rays - possible dislocated shoulder.

That's bad news for the Titans with more than two full quarters left to play.

Even with two interceptions thrown, I still think McNair can rally his team and win (with or without George).

The Ravens defense is doing a great job though, but I just have to go with the Titans in the end, because frankly, I haven't followed the Ravens at all this season and I just don't know who they are as a team.

Edit: Looks like the Ravens offense is moving the ball at will. Nice!

Great game so far in any case.

Regarding Dallas and Carolina, I think it depends on which Dallas offense shows up.

Speaking as a life-long Cowboys fan, I think we're all surprised at their success this season.

Great Defense, but the Offense is very erratic.

The Cowboys defense will hold their own (although the corners can be exploited at times), but the game hinges on the Cowboys offense - Will Hambrick get the running game online?, Can Quincy Carter not throw desperation passes that result in turnovers?

I'm hoping for a Cowboys win, but I don't see them progressing very far into the playoffs beyond today's game.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    The best team in the NFL. The Patriots will be going to the Superbowl.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I believe that you're right, chu_bakka.

I think it'll be the Patriots vs. the Eagles with the Patriots winning it.

Meanwhile, looks like my 'Boys are falling apart.

No offense to speak of.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Eddie George hasn't been a weapon for the Titans for the last 3 seasons. A season ending injury isn't really that much of a concern, especially if McNair's ankle doesn't spontaneously explode.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    well, i was away from tv all day, so i missed both games, but did i read that eddie george came BACK to play a little in the second half after dislocating his shoulder??? how many shots did they have to give him?!? he must not have been able to feel half his body...
  • Reply 7 of 73
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Did anybody else want to beat the announcers to death during the Titans Ravens game???
  • Reply 8 of 73
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Eddie George came back allright!!!

He kicked!

He gets bad press and still plays great . . . and then, he still gets people who say . . . he's kinda old . . . . and then that's all people remember .. . forgetting that he played a great game and with a dislocated shoulder to boot!!

I'd like to see them go farther . . . . and I'd lie to see the Packers go far too . . . unfortunately I think that the four teams that had byes are VERY good . . . with the Rams being the weakest, then the Eagles matched evenly with the Chiefs and, unfortunately, the Patriots being pretty much unbeatable

what the hey.... I'd even like to see the Broncos go far and the Panthers too (the absolute very worst uniform design in the league!!!! colors aren't bad -except the glitter silver- but the dashes and logos and general layout!! awful . .

There are several teams that could use a serious uniform concept/design change -Patriots, Titans, the Jags could use a better helmet logo . . . and the Raven's have real possibilitiesfor improvements with their adequate helmet logo- but the Panthers are the worst! what a mishmash . . . a mess!

Good uniforms:

Seattle,

The Rams were really good when they were Yellow not gold and the horns looked like horns,

the Lions,

the Eagles had a really good design in the 70s, the difference is slight but the wings came together more in front

the Chargers have a great dark jersey outfit

The Saints

I don't know why designers don't work enough with the shape of the equipment when they are making logos . . . there are real possibilities

Not enough strong graphic shapes that simply look good: like Michigan's helmet: simple memorable and visually forceful.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Did anybody else want to beat the announcers to death during the Titans Ravens game???

I did...GO PATs
  • Reply 10 of 73
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Woo!! What a freakin ending to that Green Bay game! Saved my fantasy football postseason. WHEE!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 73
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Green Bay just won in overtime...Harris ran an interception back for the TD.

Time to see how Denver @ Indianapolis goes.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    That game was probably one of the best Playoff games i've watched lately.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    fantastic game b/t green bay and seattle... it was like watching "rock 'em - sock 'em robots". evenly matched, just wailing away until one of 'em popped.

hasselbeck will be reminded of that "prediction all offseason, but i appreciate anyone showing some balls. he's young still, but he aged five years on that field today.

give seattle some receivers who can actually HOLD the ball next season, and they'll win this game.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

give seattle some receivers who can actually HOLD the ball next season, and they'll win this game.

or rename the position Wide Dropper.

charge them $400 grand per drop and watch stick'em sales rise

between the so-called "receivers" and some terrible blown calls, seahawks disappointed
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Even though i live in Seattle, I was okay with the way we lost. Overall one of the better games I've watch in a long time.

I'm proud of the way the Hawks played. It could be much worse i could live in Denver. That was a pathetic diplay of football the Broncos had today, not even a game.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Favre needs to stop tackling his teammates. It'd be shame to see them not make the Super Bowl because he smothered Ahman Green in the end zone in the previous game.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Favre needs to stop tackling his teammates. It'd be shame to see them not make the Super Bowl because he smothered Ahman Green in the end zone in the previous game.

If farve can hurt green....then they've got another thing coming anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Okay, my predictions for this weekend! (thanks for the link, Murbot!)

(The Best Show on Turf) St. Louis Rams over Carolina Panthers

New England Patriots beat the (overrated) Tennessee Titans

Hot Indianapolis Colts beat the Kansas City Chiefs (Manning is on a roll here)

Philadephia Eagles beat the Green Bay Packers (no more miracles for Favre)
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Now that the Seahawks are done, my interest is waning, but...

KC will beat Indy with some Special Teams magic from Daunte.

Farvre will ride the miracle mood one more time and beat Philly

Titans will beat Patriots

Rams over Panthers

though the last two are pretty uninteresting, IMO.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well the Ravens lost. I was kind of hoping they would, if only to knock some sense into Brian Billick. For crying out loud, make a decent QB decision. I swear the man is blind. I'm tired of having a new QB every single year. As for the other games:

Packers vs Philly

The house will be divided and shouting the entire time. Crazy dad from crazy philly. It was sooo cool to see the Packers win that game against the Seahawks, I was screaming my head off at the TV.

Colts Game:

Hmm, I still have the animosity that gets picked up from anyone who remembers the Colts leaving Baltimore in the dead of night. Boo Colts.

Titans:

I say they will beat the Patriots, just because.

Panthers beat the Rams:

I can't stand the Rams, esp. when they beat the Packers back in '02. Panthers win.