Do you have any idiosyncrasies?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I thought some of the 'personal glimpses' in the bidet thread were interesting and occasionally funny.

Anybody have any quirky things about themselves they wouldn't mind sharing? Any idiosyncratic preferences?

I have a few. For example, when I eat dinner, I don't like to mix the food. If I have a plate with a pork chop, rice and peas on it, I'll eat the pork chop first because I like it while it's still pretty hot; then the rice while it's still warm, and then the peas, which are okay warm or cooled off.

I like to savor the flavor of each item separately. I enjoy each item more that way. My parents couldn't imagine where they got a daughter with such crazy eating habits.

But for breakfast - I just had a Scram Slam at Denny's - I have a little bit of scrambled egg and a little bit of hash browns on the fork for each bite, accompanied by a bite of bacon. For some reason, breakfast items are more enjoyable together; whereas the dinner items are more enjoyable separately.

I think many people have a few weird things about themselves. So if you think I'm weird, that's okay. As I said, my own parents thought the same.

I'm also not crazy about odd numbers, especially 3's and 9's. But that's just a small preference over which I seldom have much control, eg. phone numbers, etc.

SO.....anybody else have any weird stuff to share?

Thanks for any replies.

Carol

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I used to be habitually indiosyncratic, but now I have lost obsession.

Aqua
  • Reply 2 of 104
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I make it a point to show off how cool my mac is....constantly....even to other mac-users.....or when no one is around.....
  • Reply 3 of 104
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

I used to be habitually indiosyncratic, but now I have lost obsession.

Aqua

Okay, Aqua, why not tell us about an idiosyncrasy you USED to have?!

Disclosure shouldn't bother you, now that you are rid of whatever it is... Right?
  • Reply 4 of 104
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i eat jelly beans in a specific order.. first one of each color, then all of whites (if they are good), then yellows, blacks, pinks, greens, reds ,, oranges etc.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I have this ridiculous idiosyncrasy that compels me to post on this board with some regularity.

Also, I'm one of those strange people who enjoys watching a good hockey game (more than say... a football game), and revels in the opportunity to hop on the ice for a few hours each week to actually play.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I make it a point to show off how cool my mac is....constantly....even to other mac-users.....or when no one is around.....

"...or when no one is around..."

Hehe.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i eat jelly beans in a specific order.. first one of each color, then all of whites (if they are good), then yellows, blacks, pinks, greens, reds ,, oranges etc.

I love it! So, do you save the best for last? And if so, which is the best?

I have a friend at work who lines up all the m&m's from the package in an upside-down triangle, with rows of each color; so the top row has the most of one color, etc. all the way down to the one blue. He does this every single day.

He used to bring cans of soup for lunch, and he would eat right out of the can, cold soup, UNdiluted!! EEeeeeee! The ultimate bachelor?

This guy also takes showers with the lights off. I think there originally was a good reason for this (like the bathroom bulb was out and he kept forgetting to buy new ones); but he got so used to showering with no lights, that now he still does. hehe

I love this guy. He is so funny, and is the world's nicest person. I'm sure he has plenty more idiosyncrasies, but these are the ones that spring to mind.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    When I keep hands in my freezer, I always eat the pinkies first. I am compelled to wash my hands whenever I see a full moon. Whenever I see a rack of blue shirts at the mall, I buy them, take them home, lower the lights and burn them in an oil drum while listening to Pink Floyd. Whenever someone near me types inane divel like "lol" "ur" or anything ending with the letter "z" (laterz, hahaz or lolz) I am forced to smash their face in with my boot.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Yeah,,, I hate sports..... Just about all of them....

The whole tough guy "red neck" thing.

Touchdown..... Who the #$^@ cares?

All the betting on games.... Please.....

No I am not Gay.

I just hate the hype known as sports.

Was I bad at sports? no... I used to play basketball... I just think Sports is a waste of time.

All the [wow] DRAMA [/wow]

Just does not toot my horn.... sorry...

Fellows
  • Reply 10 of 104
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Ditto to FCiB.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

When I keep hands in my freezer, I always eat the pinkies first. I am compelled to wash my hands whenever I see a full moon. Whenever I see a rack of blue shirts at the mall, I buy them, take them home, lower the lights and burn them in an oil drum while listening to Pink Floyd. Whenever someone near me types inane divel like "lol" "ur" or anything ending with the letter "z" (laterz, hahaz or lolz) I am forced to smash their face in with my boot.

So, are you telling me to fvck off, then?
  • Reply 12 of 104
    What, the boot thing? I can?t do anything seeing as you?re not in my vicinity. And I have only socks on.

I?ll let it slide.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    FCiB, I agree.

I'm not sure if it's because my friends play or not but I normally enjoy soccer. I don't get excited about sports, but there is something about the fancy footwork that gets me excited and impresses me.

Not that I make a big deal, but I too dislike odd numbers. Although 5 is the best out of any of them. I'm not to fond of prime numbers either to tell you the truth.

I habitually through in the benefits of owning a mac whenever I hear some one complaining something won't work or they got a virus.

I also am a half germophobe. Nothing is worse then sticking your finger into gum stuck under somewhere...YUCK! I won't touch anything with that hand until I get it washed. It's not just gum its like that with a lot of things. Also unless I really need it, if I drop a pencil or pen on the floor at my school I'll normally just leave it or say some one can have it. I have the cheap bic mechanical pencils with the rubber grip and then they fall they get the dirt stuck to the white part...again YUCK.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    With just about any meal possible my wife likes to make little sandwiches or hour de vours with it. It's pain staking to watch because it takes forever. The food keep rolling off and she starts over. But she just keeps going and going. Enjoying every bite.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

Ditto to FCiB.

I have no particular interest in sports either. I don't know if I'd call that an idiosyncracy, however. It's certainly out of the norm for an American male, but not idiosyncratic. If I started listing all my peculiarities and deviations from the norm, I could be typing all night.

I was just thinking today as I saw a bunch of people standing around in clothing that loudly and clearly announced which stores their clothes came from that my fierce distaste for being a human billboard puts me out of step with current American culture. But still, that's not really so much of an idiosyncracy as it is a value judgement.

The way I keep my iTunes stuff organized is probably a bit idiosyncratic. I can't abide by any misspelling or other typos in the stuff downloaded from CDDB. I make everything last name first. I correct capitalization. If a foreign name or title has accented characters or other diacritical marks, I insist on having them shown correctly (and I'm slightly annoyed my iPod won't show all of those characters, like the ř in Dvořak).

This is an idiosyncracy you'd probably have to be a software engineer to appreciate: I hate invisible trailing space being left in text. Such spaces don't hurt a thing really, and the extra disk capacity used storing extra spaces characters is trivial, but nonetheless, they annoy me and I compulsively delete them. Representing spaces as dots, I feel compelled to change this:

......a.=.b.*.2;..

......for.(i.=.0;.i.<.a;.++i).{

into

......a.=.b.*.2;

......for.(i.=.0;.i.<.a;.++i).{

A waste of time to bother with, but for some reason it appeals to some odd personal sense of aesthetics to have even the invisible parts of my code formatted neatly.

When I open a CD or DVD, I have to peel off all of the seals. I hate it when I see a CD or DVD where someone has merely slit or torn the seals enough to open the case, and left the rest of the plastic tape behind, still stuck to the case. Occasionally, I'll even get out a little "Goo Gone" and polish off any blotches of adhesive left behind.

If I buy some product and it comes with stickers all over it that have no value other than advertising the products features, as if you were displaying the thing in a store, those stickers have got to go.

If this all sounds a bit anal, it should be said that for the most part, I'm far from a neat freak. Except for brief periods of time after rare fits of organizing and purging (usually brought on because I'm looking all over for something I can find in my mess) my office will contain slowly accumulating stacks of mail, receipts, magazines, CDs, etc., that I can't bring myself to deal with right away. I leave clothes on the floor when I get undressed at night, leave jackets and coats slung over chairs rather than hanging them up, and leave piles of cleaned laundry on top of my dresser instead of inside my dresser or my closet. It's only within the confines of a few narrow interests that my desire to keep things neat, clean, and organized really kicks in.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i hate television commercials before movies. can ruin an entire movie for me.

way i figure it, commercials pay for my free TV. i pay to see a movie, i don't want to have to sit through commercials (although previews are fine, at least they're on topic)

some day i'm going to open up a theatre that advertises NO COMMERCIALS. and i'll have two show times listed. when the movie starts and when the previews start.

also, if i eat fast food, i always eat the fries first. people will steal your fries, but no one has the cajones to steal a bite of burger.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I HATE when people leave those advertisement stickers on their stuff. I almost flip when I see people with the protective clear plastic sheet on their cell phones. I had to peel off my friends clear covering that was on his powerbook adapter... although maybe he should have let it on, it is all scratched and dirty now haha. But when people have the "600 WATTS!" on their stereo that has to go.

Where can I get this "Goo Gone"?
  • Reply 18 of 104
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

but no one has the cajones to steal a bite of burger.

You're on.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I was just thinking today as I saw a bunch of people standing around in clothing that loudly and clearly announced which stores their clothes came from that my fierce distaste for being a human billboard puts me out of step with current American culture. But still, that's not really so much of an idiosyncracy as it is a value judgement.

The way I keep my iTunes stuff organized is probably a bit idiosyncratic. I can't abide by any misspelling or other typos in the stuff downloaded from CDDB. I make everything last name first. I correct capitalization. If a foreign name or title has accented characters or other diacritical marks, I insist on having them shown correctly (and I'm slightly annoyed my iPod won't show all of those characters, like the ř in Dvořak).

When I open a CD or DVD, I have to peel off all of the seals. I hate it when I see a CD or DVD where someone has merely slit or torn the seals enough to open the case, and left the rest of the plastic tape behind, still stuck to the case. Occasionally, I'll even get out a little "Goo Gone" and polish off any blotches of adhesive left behind.

If this all sounds a bit anal, it should be said that for the most part, I'm far from a neat freak. Except for brief periods of time after rare fits of organizing and purging...

I would have to agree with all of this.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    Quote:

i like sorting my m&m's by color and then by 3s eating them.

i like to eat saltines by gnawing the preferated edges smooth first.\