Wireless iPods

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are the chances we could see an iPod with built in Bluetooth or some other form of wireless connectivity?

Clearly, Bluetooth isn't yet fast enough, so when could we expect such an innovation?

Discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GabeRiles

What are the chances we could see an iPod with built in Bluetooth or some other form of wireless connectivity?

Clearly, Bluetooth isn't yet fast enough, so when could we expect such an innovation?

Discuss...

iPods have cradles for recharging and file transfer, right? What advantage would there be for wireless connectivity? What would the Music Companies have to say about iPod owners being able to 'share files' wirelessly?

I kinda wonder.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Not just what the music companies might bitch about... but if you're going to have to plug it in anyway to recharge the beast, why add wireless?

Sure, to swap files with other iPods while out in the big wide world... but going back to it, I don't see that being particularly kosher with Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think I would dig wireless for broadcast, though I don't think Bluetooth would cut. AIFFs would have to be converted to lower bitrate formats on the fly. With cars being advertised with Bluetooth and such...

Wireless headphones that don't require an extra tranceiver...

Wireless transfer of contacts and calendars to your cell phone?

et cetera.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Not just what the music companies might bitch about... but if you're going to have to plug it in anyway to recharge the beast, why add wireless?

Sure, to swap files with other iPods while out in the big wide world... but going back to it, I don't see that being particularly kosher with Apple.

The time will come when iPods will be doing much more than playing music and storing files. Who knows what they'll be capable of a few years from now. Some people here have speculated that they might include digital cameras, etc. Already, Apple has out fitted the new iPods to integrate with iPhoto.

In that case, wireless connectivity would be great, and I think inevitable. If I wanted to zap over some pictures to a friend's computer or iPod, it would be really easy. Or if I use separate computers to organize photos and music, I wouldn't have to deal with changing cables all the time. For someone who travels a lot, not having to worry about lugging around extra cables would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    You mean act as a Personal Organization Device?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    A wireless iPod would be particularly useful as a remote for the Apple TV device that might come out.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    iPod, headphones and remote. All three of them connected wirelessly. If there's ANYTHING that bothers me about the iPod, it's all the cables it has.

I stopped using the remote cos I ended up with a mile of wire around me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Gee, Nebagakid - I kinda like your thinking! (finally the message begins to sink through)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Can we forbid nebagakid from ever using the smokey smilie again? How about from using more than once in succession.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Magnetic induction headphones might not be bad. They use less power than bluetooth, or so I have read anyway. I don't know about the sound quality on them.

If an iPod could act as a WiMedia device, it might not have to be plugged into a computer to transfer a song. I could pull off songs to play on a WiMedia stereo without having to connect it directly.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    802.11g/b

Take your music with you anywhere in the house and have the iPod stream from computers and servers connected to your network. Stream music wirelessly from your cow-orkers' computers. Rendezvous.

I see lots of possibility in this kind of stuph.

Just not with BlueTooth......8)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eupfhoria

Can we forbid nebagakid from ever using the smokey smilie again? How about from using more than once in succession.

I'm gonna have to support this. Some of the mods have started to edit his posts to take the smokey guys out. Keep up the good work mods!

Back on topic.

I think the 802.11b/g would be awesome. I don't doubt at all that this will happen in the future. Would help keep the iPod one step ahead of every other digital music player out there, since everything that has come out since the introduction of the iPod has been a blatant attempt to kill it.