Help with downloading pictures

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

How on earth do you download pictures from a camcorder to a mac?!?! I don't mean the video - that works 100%; connect the Canon MV450i, fire up iMovie and away i go.

But, I have photos on the multimedia card in the camcorder and I can't find a way of downloading them. iMovie isn't interested, and nor is iPhoto.

Any ideas, or do I have to buy a USB card reader?

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Have you tried Image Capture? If that doesn't work maybe you can borrow a friend's camera...or end up buying a USB reader.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks - though just tried it, and no. Just says nothing is attached. However, the camcorder is attached via firewire, and switched on!

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    You need to connect it via USB to get to the pictures. There should be a separate connector.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It hasn't got a USB connector, only Firewire.

BTW, typically, my camera uses SmartMedia and not the Multimedia Card the camcorder uses.

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Looks like you will have to go with a media card reader

I have a Sony Digital8 with memorystick and got a 6 card reader pretty cheap at Lidl the discount store, they sell one for around £12.

It works well with OSX and no visible deterioration of images.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there should be an option in the camera to "transfer" the pictures from the flash memory to the DV tape... then you should be able to export the pictures from iMovie.. one frame at a time...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Get a real digital camera. Still cameras that are built into camcorders suck majorly. But till you get a separate camera, get a memory reader.