Can I Do This With iMovie?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm new to Mac and have a question about iMovie. I'm a big fan of the BMV short films and I was wondering if the iApps will allow to sort them on a DVD. I'd love to burn them on a DVD and watch them on a TV. Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    if the movies are in the .mov format, import them into imovie, edit as you like, then export to quicktime using "full quality dv." from there go into idvd, import your new full quality videos, then change your menus and stuff to your desire. i think what youre after is more in idvd than imovie. let me know if you have more questions.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if the movies are in the .mov format, import them into imovie, edit as you like, then export to quicktime using "full quality dv." from there go into idvd, import your new full quality videos, then change your menus and stuff to your desire. i think what youre after is more in idvd than imovie. let me know if you have more questions.

No this won't work. iMovie will only recognize .dv files and not .mov or anything else. If it is .mov, you should be able to drag them directly into iDVD to burn them, but the thing you need to realize is that the quality is going to be shit.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    iMovie is designed to take digital video, so if you have a movie in a .mov format like you'd get from the internet, you'd need Quicktime Pro (I think it's $30), to export the .mov to DV format. Then you could play with it in iMovie.

Also, if you have Toast 6, you can just drop your .mov files into it and it will convert them properly and burn them to DVD.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    treetree Posts: 30member
    that sucks. I was hoping I could burn each short film individualy and then selct each film through a DVD menu. If anyone knows any other solutions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :o)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by tree

that sucks. I was hoping I could burn each short film individualy and then selct each film through a DVD menu. If anyone knows any other solutions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :o)

I think you misunderstand - you absolutely can burn your .mov files to DVD, with iDVD or Toast. Just drop your files into either one and go at it. Getting them into iMovie is a little more complicated, but even that can be done if you buy Quicktime Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    You can most certainly drop any movie file into iMovie that QuickTime can understand. iMovie 3 can accept any file while iMovie 2 and below could only accept .dv files. If just want to get them onto a DVD just use iDVD and drop them on.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

You can most certainly drop any movie file into iMovie that QuickTime can understand. iMovie 3 can accept any file while iMovie 2 and below could only accept .dv files. If just want to get them onto a DVD just use iDVD and drop them on.

Well, I'll be damned, iMovie 3 can import a .mov file. I would still throw my vote going directly to iDVD. That way you can create the menu how you want it. Most importantly you won't be expanding an already compressed file, just to compress it again later.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    OT: I guess you could buy them - the DVD is quite cheap, IIRC. Furthermore, the quality of the DVD is very high, opposed to the downloaded movies, which, well, aren't. Your talking about the The Hire BMW films, right?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Yup, you're right. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    imovie definately takes .mov files.... learn your stuff man. this whole ordeal is very simple, and you people make it hard. import to imovie to blow videos up to full size, export, import in idvd, burn. i do it all the time.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

imovie definately takes .mov files.... learn your stuff man. this whole ordeal is very simple, and you people make it hard. import to imovie to blow videos up to full size, export, import in idvd, burn. i do it all the time.

Yeah, you were right. And with iMovie 3 and iDVD 3, you don't even have to go through the Quicktime import-export from iMovie to iDVD.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, you were right. And with iMovie 3 and iDVD 3, you don't even have to go through the Quicktime import-export from iMovie to iDVD.

If you just put a .mov at the end of the DV file, said file magically becomes a full-DV export