A goal for the next 20 years

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just read some danish reactions on the Mars succes yesterday. One was talking about this moving the manned mission to mars much closer. He estimated the cost to be extremly high, like half of the danish GNP. He also talked about the science benefits that we would gather from this project.

If you could unite the world in one goal I could think of a project that would be to more benefit for the world than a mars mission. Providing all people in the world with fresh water, developing non polluting energy sources and making useless land areas (deserts) usable for farming.

If you had $100 billion over the next 20 years what would you do with them to benefit the world?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    ^ I'm in agreeance with you Anders - that's a mighty fine goal that a world united should strive for.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If i had that much...I'd be Bill Gates. What has he done besides infest our schools with pc's and a virus filled world.

Oh and I'd name the foundation the Bill Gateses Foundation and over pay all my lazy friends to brainwash kids in all the schools around the world.

MUHAHAHAHA

Honestly no amount of money can fix our biggest problem GREED
  • Reply 3 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

If i had that much...I'd be Bill Gates. What has he done besides infest our schools with pc's and a virus filled world.

Oh and I'd name the foundation the Bill Gateses Foundation and over pay all my lazy friends to brainwash kids in all the schools around the world.

MUHAHAHAHA

Honestly no amount of money can fix our biggest problem GREED

I'll tell you what, imagine you could take the entire gross domestic product of the United States for one year and distribute it to every one in the world for that year.

The GDP of the US is about 10 trillion dollars.

The world is coming up on 6 billion people. You would give everyone in the world about $1700.

And of course that would be for that one year, to really make a difference you would have to do this for more than one year obviously.

Greed isn't the issue.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Actually in most cases it is...whether it's greed over wealth or credit for an idea.

Many people have good ideas and intentions, but often the process things must go through to get to the end of the tunnel either cost too much or become too big of a hassle to justify the means.

Why? because every time you turn around someone wants a piece of the pie. That's Greed!!!

I'm not saying it's not a nice idea what Anders posted. I like all of his ideas. The problem is that 100billions to start ends up with like half going to useless people just wanting their cut. There is no such thing as free anymore.......WHY?

Greed
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Ye of little faith..... Trumpetman come on!

It is not about money...

It is about ideas... Ideas create power.

I agree with Anders that the world needs to do some killer app idea hunting and doing for the cause of humanity.

Ideas change the world.

Let's change it for the better!

Fellows
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Ye of little faith..... Trumpetman come on!

It is not about money...

It is about ideas... Ideas create power.

I agree with Anders that the world needs to do some killer app idea hunting and doing for the cause of humanity.

Ideas change the world.

Let's change it for the better!

Fellows

I didn't say it was about money. I simply said that greed isn't want is hurting the world and money isn't going to be what will fix the world. That was what my post was trying to put across. You could take every dime in the United States and distribute it and the world really wouldn't be any better off.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I didn't say it was about money. I simply said that greed isn't want is hurting the world and money isn't going to be what will fix the world. That was what my post was trying to put across. You could take every dime in the United States and distribute it and the world really wouldn't be any better off.

$1700 is a lot of ****ing money for most of the planet.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    My global harmonization suggestion? How about another round of "We Are The World?"

Looks like the U.S. has the oppotunity to claim another space rock. Now if only we could find oil on the MFer. Water? Why bother? L.A. would just try to steal it all anyway (inside joke for the NCali folks here).

-BBVD
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

$1700 is a lot of ****ing money for most of the planet.

Yeah until everyone has it.

Nick