Just ordered the Canon 300D!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey everyone- I just ordered the Canon Digital Rebel! I'm very excited to get this camera!

Does anyone else have one of these? What accessories should I get first? I only have a 64MB CF card right now- so a 512 is on my list 1st...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Congrats...I've been giving the rebel a lot of thought.

Once you get it ...please follow up with how you feel about it.

thanks
  • Reply 2 of 55
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Hey everyone- I just ordered the Canon Digital Rebel! I'm very excited to get this camera!

Does anyone else have one of these? What accessories should I get first? I only have a 64MB CF card right now- so a 512 is on my list 1st...

Canon 50mm f1.8 fixed lens (must buy !!!) , good bag to protect it all, tripod..

later get a 20-35 or 17-40, a bigger zoom like the great 70-200 Sigma APO HSM , speedlite and battery grip perhaps.. enjoy, post your cmaera review soon ... *sighs* I wannaa 300d
  • Reply 3 of 55
    tacojohn,

Congratulations .

I agree with gsxrboy's comments. The 50mm f/1.8 is apparently one of the best lenses in Canon's line, and possibly the cheapest too . A good bag is essential. And a tripod is something that I think is generally overlooked by many (including myself ).

I'd also consider the 28-135 IS lens - the image stabiliser can be really useful.

Enjoy the camera, let us know how it goes .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    I have the 50 mm f1.8 that I use with my 10D, and that's a pretty nice lens. I just updated to a 24-70 mm f2.8. I haven't had a chance to compare the image quality of these two lenses yet.

I had been using a 1GB CF card, but I think 512MB is a good size.

I like everything about the 10D, except the autofocus. It's a tad slow (especially for speedy 4-year-old nieces), and needs good light. I'm curious to hear your AF experiences.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Oh I forgot something screw in UV0 lens filters for all the lenses, its cheap insurance against a stuffed up scratchified lens..
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Yeah- everyone seems to be talking about the 50mm f.18 lens- I guess that'll be my next lens then- I don't use zoom all that often (maybe I would if my elph had one bigger than 2x).

I bought a cheap mini-tripod this weekend- it works wonders inside! I don't really need to use the crappy flash to get a sharp photo anymore- with the elph at least!

Yeah- I need to seriously get a bigger card- I'll be shooting in the RAW+JPEG format when I'm in Europe- I read that it results in a 7+ MB file/photo.

I'll be posting sample pics/box opening pics when I get the camera (in the next 2 weeks)....

thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 55
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Congratulations on your purchase tacojohn!

I got my Digital Rebel about a month ago and it definitely rocks! Feel free to ask any questions you may have about it. I got the kit with the included 18-55mm (28-90mm in 35mm terms) f/3.5-5.6 lens. Haven't had a chance to play much with its features, but after about 600 pics over the holidays, I must say it's a nice improvement over my former Canon G5, which is itself quite a great digicam.

I do use zoom extensively, so I am planning on getting the EF 70-200 f2.8 lens this month. One think that really strikes me about this camera, beyond its excellent imaging system (DiGiC works as advertized), ease of use and full manual control, is its extremely long battery life. Simply put, amazing! It last for hundreds of photos without recharging. While it's true that you can't use the built in LCD screen to frame your pics (which saves a lot of battery), the true SLR feel of this camera will make you soon forget about it as compared to point and shoot digicams.

As others have said, you will need at least an el cheapo tripod and a carry bag for your camera and accesories. I bought the Tek (Tamrac) model which fits the camera with the 18-55mm lens attached. It has room for extra CF cards and other small items. I have 2 x 512mb Lexar 12x Compact Flash (had them for about a year), which have proven more than adequate for my needs. And yes, raw images tend to be 7mb+ in size, so you will probably need a lot of storage if you plan on using that feature on your trip to Europe.

8)
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

And yes, raw images tend to be 7mb+ in size, so you will probably need a lot of storage if you plan on using that feature on your trip to Europ

Have you tried using the highest JPEG setting in comparison to RAW? That's what I use on my 10D. I figured I would be using RAW extensively, but I find that ~2MB JPEG files good enough for 11x17 printouts. That gives me 300+ photos on a 1GB CF card.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Have you tried using the highest JPEG setting in comparison to RAW? That's what I use on my 10D. I figured I would be using RAW extensively, but I find that ~2MB JPEG files good enough for 11x17 printouts. That gives me 300+ photos on a 1GB CF card.

Yeah, well, that was in response to tacojohn's comment about wanting to use RAW... but I agree with you, I only used RAW for a few test pics when I first got the camera, but Large(fine) JPEG works quite well for my needs. I rarely print anything larger than 8x10, yet I know I can use the RAW setting if I ever need to. The ~2MB JPEG files have proven quite useful for editing and cropping 5x7 vacation prints with stellar results.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I think I'll be shooting RAW 'cause I plan on entering some photo contests- printing pretty large prints...
  • Reply 11 of 55
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I found a $25 tripod at Target two weeks ago and I'm surprised at how good it is.

If you're interested.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Hey guys- just updating you on the camera situation...

I GOT IT!!!! I'll post some sample pics later...everything is great so far!

I ended up getting the Digital SLR Accessory kit from canon too- camera bag, UV filter, and extra battery.

I'm lovin' it.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Hey! Congrats man. The 300d's are nice cameras. I picked one up about a month ago myself, and have been in love with it since. My only gripe is about the read and write time to the cf card. I suggest getting the fastest card you can. Also, I find that importing the files to my iBook takes eternity (I typically use the large jpeg setting). Does anyone know if the camera supports usb2?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucci

Hey! Congrats man. The 300d's are nice cameras. I picked one up about a month ago myself, and have been in love with it since. My only gripe is about the read and write time to the cf card. I suggest getting the fastest card you can. Also, I find that importing the files to my iBook takes eternity (I typically use the large jpeg setting). Does anyone know if the camera supports usb2?

No USB 2.0

You could just get a firewire card reader like I plan on doing...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Hey guys- I've post some sample pics on my website. Click the link in my sig.

peace.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    OK, stupid question time. What is a battery grip?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    A battery grip is an extension/add-on piece that attaches usually under the camera and acts as two things, a grip and a battery compartment. A traditional vertical grip allows you to hold the camera vertically more comfortably. It usually also adds a second shutter button on what would be the the upper right of the body when holding it vertically. The second purpose to act as an additional battery compartment in the grip. It doesn't just store extra batteries but plugs into the normal battery compartment and hold twice as many batteries or more. For some cameras that use proprietary batteries in the regular battery compartment, it also allows you to add AA batteries as a power source in the grip.

For example, this is my camera:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ont-angled.jpg

and this is my camera with a battery grip:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ttery-grip.jpg
  • Reply 18 of 55
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Thanks. I suppose I could have looked it up myself, eh?

BTW, that is a SMOKIN' nice camera. I have way too much room on my credit card right now...
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Congrats..

I bought my Digrebel a couple months ago.. and have been thrilled with it.

It is really a nice camera and produces outstanding pics.

I too have the 50mm.. and love it.

Soon, I will be getting a 17-40L and 70-200L to complete my kit.

Altho everyone seems to swear by the 28-135IS as a walkaround lens.. so I may pick one of those up too.

Have fun, and enjoy your new camera!
  • Reply 20 of 55
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I picked up the Rebel just before Thanksgiving and just like everyone else, I love it!

Re: RAW vs. JPEG one thing that's saved my butt is shooting in RAW format. With RAW you can change white balance, sharpening, exposure, etc. if you shot the picture in less than perfect circumstances. This has saved a few pictures of mine that I have taken from ending up in the photon wastebasket.

I have the kit lens plus the 75 - 300 mm USM (not IS) lens and my next purchase is definitely the 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Have any of you guys done macro photography on a budget? I don't think I can afford a real macro lens for some time so I was wondering if anyone here has tried any macro converters for regular lenses?