Vectorworks 10.5 on G4 or G5?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking to move from my much loved Pismo to something with a little more grunt. The Pismo is okay but I need more power for 3D modelling and more screen real estate.

G4 Powerbook or G5 Powermac?

Does Vectorworks utilise the power of a G5 or will I not notice any tangible benefits over a G4.

I have a friend who just got a Dual 2GHz G5 and was a bit unconvinced by the claims of speed when using Vectorworks.

anyone....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Check out architosh.com. There's information posted concerning VW and G5's.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Check out architosh.com. There's information posted concerning VW and G5's.

From what I've read, the G5 coupled with Mac OS X (panther) has still a bit to go in the way of optimizations. Panther isn't truly 64-bit yet, but does work in the environment. With more updates coming this year, speed increases should be had in that very gray area as of now.

-walloo.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    According to VW internal testing a G5 1.8 redraws 2x, renders 3x, and performs solid modeling 5x as fast as the dual 1.25 G4 machine...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

Panther isn't truly 64-bit yet, but does work in the environment.

This could be taken the wrong way.

Panther *is* compiled with optimizations for the G5. Just because it doesn't use 64-bit math for everything (it probably never will) doesn't mean it isn't great for the G5. Sure, more optimizations will always trickle in, but much is already in place. The jump from 10.2 to 10.3 is a much greater one, I've read, on the G5 than on the G4 or G3. That's all thanks to the new compiler optimizations Apple started using for the G5.

Just see 1seaside1's post above for a fine example of how the mid-range G5 already outshines the top-end G4s.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    thanks for the replies
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Back to your original question, orange whip, why don't keep the Prismo and buy a G5? You get a kick ass work station plus a portable.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Back to your original question, orange whip, why don't keep the Prismo and buy a G5? You get a kick ass work station plus a portable.

well yes I love my pismo.... but the wife (home) gets that one (the wallstreet is getting on)

will see what happens on 24th.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

According to VW internal testing a G5 1.8 redraws 2x, renders 3x, and performs solid modeling 5x as fast as the dual 1.25 G4 machine...

presumably a single G5 @ 1.8 ? or was the test recent enough to have been dual?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by orange whip

well yes I love my pismo.... but the wife (home) gets that one (the wallstreet is getting on)

will see what happens on 24th.

there are numerous upgrade options too