Do colors excite you?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am sitting here, looking around at all the sites like I always do the night before the Keynote and the one thing that has me the most excited may seem silly, colors. Colors are just for some reason something that rekindles that whole resurgence of Apple thing that happened, oh not too long ago. It may be associated with cheap to some, quirky to others, or like it is to me, a desirable characteristic that I wish Apple would still use on some of its product lines.

Thinksecret mentions in its Mini Pod rumor article that the new iPods may contain body colors and such, which caught my attention. Personally, I dont see why not. Everybody has a favorite color and the idea of being able to chose from whatever color you want is a nice little aesthetic extra. Yes, you can buy those skins and whatnot, but its not the same as Apple doing it.8)

So, what do you think? Colors? Is it too 1997-2000?

I think not....bring 'em back if they look good man!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Where is pscates when you need him...I'm here talking about colors and I feel naked because nobody wants to respond. Maybe the mods will make this thread black and blue if this continues?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    No colors.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Mmm, brushed metal in real life....
  • Reply 4 of 28
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    No more white please.

Its getting old. \
  • Reply 5 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I can't think in color man I'm getting way too excited. It's only hours away.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I like how apple carefully steps in and out of trends.

they hit the world with color, and forever shattered the beige box dominance, then while PC manufacturers started making color en masse, they slowly phased all color out of their lines, and moved to white and aluminum. The whole while, apple's OS gave hints to what the next step would be. I think that's the thing, apple is always dropping hints with every product release, chances are SOMETHING about the look or design of any given apple product will reflect where they are heading next, or part of where they are heading.

I would not be surprised at all if they phase colors back in, but then again, those new iPod ads are designed to make you focus on the beacon of white that is iPod, so colored iPods kind of detract from that methinks.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Mmm, brushed metal in real life....

• Reply 8 of 28
    I said it before and I'll say it again: MiniPod with racing stripes.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Yeah! Just like the new Mini Cooper car. Vroom!

How about a beige iPod anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

MacCube
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

I've never said it before, but am prepared to say it again...no way.

No more colors. Apple will come up with something wicked cool that the entire industry (not just computer industry, but everyone and everything) will copy. We'll move on and someday, someone will again hunger for white and Alu. enclosures again. And the vicious cycle continues.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I've never said it before, but am prepared to say it again...no way.

No more colors. Apple will come up with something wicked cool that the entire industry (not just computer industry, but everyone and everything) will copy. We'll move on and someday, someone will again hunger for white and Alu. enclosures again. And the vicious cycle continues.

Oh, so you mean there won't be any gold-coloured iPod?

I think I've got a clue:

We'll have a special 20th Anniversary Mac accessory that is an actual GOLD iPOD!

An 18 karat gold-plated iPod Limited Edition. Get it fast, kiddies!

What will they think of next?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCube Returns

I think I've got a clue:

We'll have a special 20th Anniversary Mac accessory that is an actual GOLD iPOD!

An 18 karat gold-plated iPod Limited Edition. Get it fast, kiddies!

What will they think of next?

Are you serious? \

No sir, I don't like it. I bet P-daddiddily will have one...... Oh wait, if it's only gold plated... nevermind.

But seriously... you're joking right? wtf? I don't like it.....nope
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCube Returns

I think I've got a clue:

An 18 karat gold-plated iPod Limited Edition.

[snip]

And people said that the MDD had "Bling-Bling". A gold Mac (**DMB crosses fingers in hopes that this NEVER happens) would have more Bling Bling than Puff daddy and P. Diddy combined.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    If you want colors, buy one of those customized iPods. Different colors makes stocking difficult, drives up prices, and quite frankly, looks tacky. Ever seen racing stripes on a Rolls Royce?

Also, other manufacturers can easily copy copy colors, but they can never compete with the subtleties of an Apple product only noticed when the device is monochrome.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I dont care if it looks tacky to someone else. Its all about choice I guess, I just wish I had the choice in the first place. Now I do understand the supply and demand/stocking issue logistics of it all and I know its a pain in the ass...if there's one thing Apple learned from doing colors on the iMac they know which colors sell the most....so sell what sells I guess. And if worse comes to worse I'll get a skin.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    In all seriousness, if Apple does do color of any kind with the iPod line it will be extremely well done and not easily (read: cheaply) imitated by others.

Whatever you may have thought about Flower Power and Blue Dalmation, the truth was those color patterns had a depth and subtlety that could only be appreciated in person. If the MiniPods get color expect it to be accomplished with a similar, high end process.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

In all seriousness, if Apple does do color of any kind with the iPod line it will be extremely well done and not easily (read: cheaply) imitated by others.

Whatever you may have thought about Flower Power and Blue Dalmation, the truth was those color patterns had a depth and subtlety that could only be appreciated in person. If the MiniPods get color expect it to be accomplished with a similar, high end process.

A thought: Wouldnt a "high end process" drive up prices on something that is supposed to be a lowend solution for the masses to enjoy? I dont know, hopefully they just find a way to jam 1,000 songs into a hard drive based player that is small and costs $99.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Thats the way Apple has always done things. They don't skimp out on anything. The Cube is a single mold, the thing was expensive to produce. Apple could have just as easily molded it in multiple pieces and sold it that way, but that's just not their style. (Don't bother pointing out that many Cube enclosures are now cracked, I'm on a Cube now and the crack is nothing big at all). I'm glad that Apple puts this kind of attention into their hardware and software. Makes me feel good about the computer that I'm buying.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    The only way I'd like colored iPods is if they use that color changing technology they patented a while back.... anyone remember this? I don't have a link.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Color changing buttons would be the best methinks.