iCam

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I've been looking at the specs of the Cornice Hard Drive and have seen a thing that makes me remember of old time roumors.

"2500 3 MegaPixels Photos"

Well, what a bout an iCam?

All things point to a new smaller iPod, but an "cheap" cam would be perfect.

A year ago people say apple won't enter in the camera world just because there is a lot of people in that market and lot's that would do it better that apple.

Then they intro the iSight and I have to say that although Logitech and others have been making Webcams for a time, Apple one is the best.

Why they wouldn't now introduce a 3 or 4 megapixel cam.

And please, pray god for it to be cheaper than iSight :P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Hmmm, very interesting, plausible theory, zon. I don't know if we'll see such a product, but I could envision one existing. There's nothing wrong with your English, btw
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The digital still camera market is grossly more saturated than the webcam market. That's because there is a higher demand for digital still cameras. People trust you traditional name brands like Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etceteras. Then you have people going for their consumer favorites, like Sony, Sharp, Casio, etceteras.

I don't think putting a hard drive into a camera is compelling enough for Apple to be able to successfully enter that already saturated market. You have to remember that the iPod and iTunes always had the iTunes Music Store in sight. I just don't see anything like that happening for a 2GB hard drive based digital camera.

To look at it another way, the iPod has a high storage capacity not for recording or capturing, but for playback. Before MP3 players, people had to carry around lots of CDs for the portable CD players. The iPod allows people to carry around, in theory, their entire music library so they can listen to whatever they want whenever they want.

With a proposed 2GB "iCam", you run into the opposite problem. A camera is all about capturing images. People don't tend to leave those images on their camera, and unlike music, there is no compelling reason to carry around a 2GB photo library in your camera.

Most people are quite content with their 128MB flash cards. 2GB wouldn't be a big enough jump to spark any sort of revolution, were one to happen. Not even a $70 2GB one inch hard drive embedded in a camera.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Expect 2GB iCam to be announced today then. Thanks, Lo!

[ohmigosh, I'm approaching my 5,000th post...do I get a certificate or something?]
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Expect 2GB iCam to be announced today then. Thanks, Lo!

[ohmigosh, I'm approaching my 5,000th post...do I get a certificate or something?]

You get one week free at the Betty Ford clinic and they give you a certificate for breaking your posting habit.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

You get one week free at the Betty Ford clinic and they give you a certificate for breaking your posting habit.

You will also get a lot of "D-I-P-L-O-M-A" spam to your .mac account.