righty,

time to sit back and light the piece spliff

• Reply 24 of 36
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

righty,

time to sit back and light the piece spliff

What piece of splif? I want my own. A whole one.8)
  • Reply 25 of 36
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    of course I meant "peace"

gotta love this country eh?

• Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

of course I meant "peace"

gotta love this country eh?

No.

It's raining and I'm going home in a minute.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

I share your pain.

As i stare at my TI book waiting for the macworld stream ( im sad like that..)i can only tell you that the reason I dont upgrade more often is $$$ I dont blame Apple just our conservative govt

who has such damm high tariffs on computers ... Yep Australia, the lucky country... The aussie dollar... the peso of the south pacific...

Whatever your political persuasion, there is no denying that the Australian $ is at the moment at a 6 year high against the US$. US$1=A$0.76. This is a LONG way from where it was in late 2001 when it was under US$1=A$0.50.

Exchange rates are a product of many factors, only one of which is the current government. One factor would be that the previous non-conservative government ran up huge deficits at a time of economic growth, requiring the current government to sell off huge slabs of public infrastructure, much to the annoyance of the general populous.

The Aussie dollar is no longer the peso of the South Pacific and hopefully it won't be for some time.

Computers imported to Australia are also no longer subjected to a tariff. Like almost all other goods and services provided in Australia, they are subject to a value added tax called the GST, which is 10% of the retail cost. Since the current conservative government has been in power, the rate has fallen from the then 22% wholesale tax rate.

I'm sure some people in the world would love to have no tariffs on computer imports and only a 10% value added tax applied. I won't get into the merits of which political party should be ruling Australia, but I will say that Australians often don't realise how lucky they are to live in this great land.

Edit : spelling
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Be prepared for some disappointment. (As is the case after every keynote).

Some disappointment??!?? Apple will announce it is having major problems with the G5 yields and will have to go back to a .2u process. Not only that but the processor speeds will be decreased down to 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 singles. The 1.4 will start at a cool 2 and a half grand. The top model will be 3,600. To cool it Apple will make a radically new system known as "Windmaker." It will be cooled by 4 turbine fans. To combat public opinion that being loud is a bad thing, Apple will start a new advertising campaign in which their slogain is "Let everyone see AND know that YOU have a G5." Then it will show a chicken approaching the G5 and then the fans will kick in and it will fly off screen. But that is only the G5.

Then, Apple will announce that their partnership with Hitachi is not going well so they are going to stop making the normal iPods, and will make up to a 4gb mini pod model.

The iMacs prices will also be bumped up by $200 and they will stop selling the superdrive with them claiming that "LCD screen prices are going up."

Now for the Powerbook, it is not as bad. Apple will update them, but that is only changing the case from the Aluminum design to an Aluminum design with holes, much like the G5. "We wanted to create, uhh, continuity in our pro products and we felt this was the best way to do it. Now people can grate cheese on the road! How revolutionary!" Jonathan Ive will say.

The iBooks will also get an overhall, but only to pink. For some reason or another Apple considers this to be a major step in their "Think different" philosophy.

And lets see. That pretty much covers everything. Prepare for disappointment and ya.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Toshiba makes the drives for the iPod. Store is now officialy DOWN!

37 minutes.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by daabido

Whatever your political persuasion, there is no denying that the Australian $ is at the moment at a 6 year high against the US$. US$1=A$0.76. This is a LONG way from where it was in late 2001 when it was under US$1=A$0.50.

Exchange rates are a product of many factors, only one of which is the current government. One factor would be that the previous non-conservative government ran up huge deficits at a time of economic growth, requiring the current government to sell off huge slabs of public infrastructure, much to the annoyance of the general populous.

The Aussie dollar is no longer the peso of the South Pacific and hopefully it won't be for some time.

Computers imported to Australia are also no longer subjected to a tarrif. Like almost all other goods and services provided in Australia, they are subject to a value added tax called the GST, which is 10% of the retail cost. Since the current conservative government has been in power, the rate has fallen from the then 22% wholesale tax rate.

I'm sure some people in the world would love to have no tarrifs on computer imports and only a 10% value added tax applied. I won't get into the merits of which political party should be ruling Australia, but I will say that Australians often don't realise how lucky they are to live in this great land.

erm that would be us...UK 17.5% VAT
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by RedEric

erm that would be us...UK 17.5% VAT

LUXURY. .nl: 19%

.dk (home country): 25%
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

The Toshiba store ?

and the Macworld store. http://www.macworldexpo.com/

Quote:

HTTP Server Error 503

No available server to handle this request

dDoS'ed to death by gazillions of mac-faithfulls sitting in breathless anticipation of the mighty Steve.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

LUXURY. .nl: 19%

.dk (home country): 25%

Why do I get the feeling this is degenerating into the Yorkshire men sketch from Monty Python.

Yorkshire Men Sketch

• Reply 34 of 36
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldy

Why do I get the feeling this is degenerating into the Yorkshire men sketch from Monty Python.

Yorkshire Men Sketch

Eee when I were a kid........
  • Reply 35 of 36
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Die!