AI Member of the Year (2003)?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are we doing this any longer? I can't recall if we had one last January or not but I thought I'd bring it up. 2003 was such a great year for Apple and also a good year at AI that I felt it appropriate. Just lock the thread if I'm out of step with the times (no hard feelings).

If it is OK, then (mods) by all means remove the question mark from the title and we'll all have at it. Going by the old "vote for three people" road we've had in the past, I hereby cast my votes for (in no particular order) :

(Get ready for this, because I myself hardly believe it....)

Mr. iBook (as in FC) - while I don't always agree with his perspectives on religion and related matters, it seems to me the good iBook has come quite a long ways since his early days here at AI. For one thing I've noticed in recent months that he, more than most of us (more than me for sure), takes the high road when disagreeing with someone. For another, he has tempered many of his opinions and posts with more of an open mind than was initially the case IMO. That's as we all should be, so I see no reason why I shouldn't vote for the man. Plus, he's a bona fide photographer.

Powerdoc - a good sense of humor, well-informed, and a voice of reason from the other side of the pond IMO. Nod a bad mod either, as mods go.

BRussell - I don't know if it's the sense of humor or something else, but it's rare that I don't take the time to read his posts when I see them in a given thread.

Obligatory Honorable Mentions (without whom I wouldn't even bother with this forum): Artman (even if he is from Philly), Mr. Scates, Shetline, Nordstrodamus, Mr. Rotto, CuriousBurb, and numerous others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Amorph. Brilliant stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Thanks

As a mod, i will not vote, but i only see good nominations here.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Programmer.

Thanks for injecting the rumor threads with hard data and actual reasoning. I've never seen a post of his that was not informative.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Well I´m gonna keep out of this as well after last years fiasco.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hey, great choices Moogs. I nominate Moogs!

Anders, haven't you been AI member of the year every year since like 1999, and now you're pouting?

• Reply 6 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Hey, great choices Moogs. I nominate Moogs!

Anders, haven't you been AI member of the year every year since like 1999, and now you're pouting?

It's because Anders wants to be the moderator of the year. For 2003 it's too late
  • Reply 7 of 112
    i nominate alliance.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Carol A because I know her 8)

Fascinating
  • Reply 9 of 112
    Powerdoc definitely Mod of the year, given the wars AO has seen in 2003

Brad as Admin of the year (santa-like in rewarding the good, banning evil)

Member... hmmmm.... tougher.

And I should thank Moogs for the Honourable Mention, despite the unCanadian spelling.

How about some categories?

Most improved: FCiB, for many of the reasons mentioned above...

Most entertaining: Murbot has an early lead, Xidius tried a thread or two

Most informative: Programmer, Brad, mmcist and a few others

Least improved: Kormac? Xidius? Mika? Scott?

Least entertaining: some of the above flaming/trolling threads in AO

Least informative: got to go check the score for MW predictions again...

but there was a jive-talking poster whose ghettoized prose nobody could decode.

but if Gandalf the Semi-Coherent doesn't win something this year...

it'll prove those idiots at the academy are conspiring, won't it?
  • Reply 10 of 112
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Ah, the yearly thread that makes people either strive to make more of an impact in the coming year, or smash their sobbing melons into the keyboard a few times before hitting the liquor cabinet to drown their "no one knows me" sorrows.

It's like the coach putting up the team roster and you're looking for your name. I love it.

Helps that mine is already on here, so I can sit back and laugh at the rest of you.

Oh yeah, my vote. I'll have to think about it. My brain hasn't been functioning too well since my New Year's resolution to stop drinking beer. The weak buffaloes are creeping back into the pasture.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Oh yeah, my vote. I'll have to think about it. My brain hasn't been functioning too well since my New Year's resolution to stop drinking beer. The weak buffaloes are creeping back into the pasture.

Murbot, Don't waste your time by taking lame resolution like stop drinking beer : stop your addiction to e bay
  • Reply 12 of 112
    iBrowse, programmer, or brad because I am a kiss ass.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm going to nominate Scott because he makes me feel tingly, you know... down there.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Murbot, Don't waste your time by taking lame resolution like stop drinking beer : stop your addiction to e bay

That's just crazy talk.

BTW, in case anyone isn't familiar with the Buffalo Theory:

The Buffalo Theory

In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the 'Buffalo Theory' to his buddy Norm. I don't think I've ever heard the concept explained any better than this.

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it's the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

And Mount_my_floppy, I'll take one on the left cheek too, please. I have the power to make your life here miserable too. heh heh
  • Reply 15 of 112
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

(Get ready for this, because I myself hardly believe it....)

Mr. iBook (as in FC) - while I don't always agree with his perspectives on religion and related matters, it seems to me the good iBook has come quite a long ways since his early days here at AI. For one thing I've noticed in recent months that he, more than most of us (more than me for sure), takes the high road when disagreeing with someone. For another, he has tempered many of his opinions and posts with more of an open mind than was initially the case IMO. That's as we all should be, so I see no reason why I shouldn't vote for the man. Plus, he's a bona fide photographer.

Moogs you are too kind

To be honest with you all I enjoy every single one of you!

I love Powerdoc and Applenut of course They do a nice job indeed!

ShawnJ and Trumptman give me a nice laugh at times when they go in circles

BR is the wild card! and I love that! I have to say I agree with him about the idea of political parties as "teams" it is just silly all of politics.

Anders is always fun to read. Hassan i Sabbah is really fun to read when he steps in.

Kirkland is becoming very well spoken I have found recently.

Shetline is my line to the heavens

Majorspunk is the biggest player here other than Bunge

both lots of fun!

I find Midwinter to be a very well read cool and hip guy.

Murbot is a hoot with his humor and ever-changing comp setup

Eugene is pretty funny too

Tonton seems to be warming up to me and I think he is very intelligent.

-Alliance- must think I hate him but I don't at all I think he is a cool guy.

Aquafire is the BEST! I love his personality! well him and Powerdoc

Fran is a complete gentleman from what I see and I admire that

Giaguara is my vote for sexy tiger I mean Panther Purrr

of course so is Nebulous

Defiant is a cool guy

macman is a most mature and levelheaded young man for his age I must say

Pfflam is one of my favorites to read here on the boards as he is has a unique way of putting things into context

SDW2001 is a great fighter for Bush and I think he is well spoken

chu_bakka is a great fighter against Bush and I think he is well spoken as well

Scott always has a wild card statement at times and they are a blast to read

Splinemodel, drewprops, Nebagakid, groverat, Rick1138, and everyone else I think you all are GREAT!

Here is to a wonderful 2004!

Fellows 8)
  • Reply 16 of 112
    I guess it depends where you spend your time to determine who you relate to most. I'm a Future Hardware/Apple Outsider guy. Given that, here are my nominations:

Three guys who really are the heart and soul of the warm and fuzzy community that is AI:

Murbot for the constant comic relief and general good cheer

Pscates for his creativity and for drawing folks into a real community spirit with offbeat threads and his enthusiasm.

LemonBB for being the most entertaining AI'er when he gets on a roll - and for showing up a bit more at the end of the year. Welcome back d00d.

Now for the other indespensibles

Programmer for consistent informativeness, although he seems to be around a bit more seldomly as of late - - hey no fair getting a life man! Or maybe he is getting tired of reining us in?

Matsu and his many new accomplices for keeping us all focused on the CSHB and marketshare. (search urbandictionary.com for CSHB by the way 8) )

Brad for spending way to much time around here and being far too responsive of a moderator. Way to go man!

Luca Res. and Barto also elevated their game this year.

Have to agree with the above votes for wise heads Amorph, Powerdoc and others.

Also hats off to the anonymous sources that put AI on the map time and again this year. We were on everyone's lips in the mac community, not to mention the source of many mainstream press speculations about Apple!

Perhaps you might see my list as just a roll call of high post count folks.. . oh well, such is the nature of the beast in online forums.

So do I have a point? A winner to crown? Nope, but I do appreciate those folks spending their time here making it a wonderful place. What a fun ride the year has been too! G5, Powerbooks, iTunes. . . All in all 2003 was a great year to hang out on AI! 2004 better get its butt in gear to top it!

Happy New Year,

Curufinwe
  • Reply 17 of 112
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You're all tops in my iBook.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    *smashes melon into keyboard*

*heads for liquor cabinet*
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

*smashes melon into keyboard*

*heads for liquor cabinet*

Dude, you're close to having my vote, just based on post to laugh ratio alone.

• Reply 20 of 112
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    murbot is always good for a laugh. Remember murbot, we're laughing at you, not with you. Erm...

pscates is a great guy. I enjoy reading his posts and he seems very earnest and kind.

Like Moogs, I usually disagree with Fellowship, but he's nice about it. I don't feel like an argument with him is the same as a fight.

On the other hand, I think Scott, giant, SDW2001 and BR get the "most likely to start World War III" award. Although they are good for entertainment in Firesid... uh, AppleOutsider