• Reply 2 of 110
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    100 dollars too expensive
  • Reply 3 of 110
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

100 dollars too expensive

I agree, I think Apple screwed up on the pricing. If it is going to be that expensive, make it $200, better at $150. For an extra $50, might as well get a 15 gb iPod. I think they screwed up on this one. But we will see.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Too expensive, and there's no low end.

Would you expect anything else from Apple?

But seriously, I expect it to be like every other Apple product. Crap now, but much better value in 1 years time when the volume goes up and the price drops.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 110
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    is it flash based??

will they come out with a 2 gig model for $199??

if it is flash based...then how did they do it for the price?

but if it is flash based, i will get one as i can't use my current iPod for jogging....otherwise, get the 15 gig for 50 bucks more...

will be fun to try out the armband holder....

g
  • Reply 6 of 110
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    5 colors : pink, green, blue, gold and alu.

249 $

slim

small : credit card size

USB 2 and FW connection

Same adaptator.

Well it's a little bit expansive, but i can easily predict a winner.

Parents prepare your credit card to buy a pink mini i pod for your daughter.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    I'm not surprised by the price and I don't think its to high. Steve's demo said it all. $50 more than a small capacity flash player. Even if Apple could build it smaller (capacity) and cheaper, why should they. They are flying off the shelves at $299. Compare the price to the price of flash drives. Would you by a USB flash drive or spen a little more and also have an iPod? This is a good deal.

I've argued before that Sony Walkmen flew off the shelves at $129 many many years ago. $249 is about the same if you count for inflation.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I don't know how Apple does it. "Here's an iPod with 1/3 the storage, for $50 less." And I want one...
  • Reply 9 of 110
    Given the specs, wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the 10GB iPod but offer it for $250? What about re-introducing the 5GB iPod for $200?
  • Reply 10 of 110
    The new page is up:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/
  • Reply 11 of 110
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I was kinda hoping for a really small one, more like the one that holds about 60 songs, so I could just copy my "Top 50" playlist and keep that updated. Just a small screen and the usual firewire/headphone/controller ports. (the remote on the headphone cable works fine for me, no need for a scroll wheel) Although I want one a little, I will stick to my 30GB iPod. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 110
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    seems to be hard drive based, not flash....so i guess i can save some bucks for now....maybe if it gets good reviews for not freezing with running and bumping, maybe then i will get one

g
  • Reply 13 of 110
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Gee you'd think by now all the price sensitive folk here would have things figured out.

The harddrive is a NEW premium product. In six months expect a price drop and one additional member of the miniPod family, with a slightly larger drive capacity. Just in time for Xmas. Yes, Apple finally has a product that sells in droves over the holiday season. And yes, people will pay a premium price for tiny shiny things.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    I don't mind the price at all. I paid $400 for my 10gb ipod back in the day. I would have liked to see the price at $200 for the mini, but lifes rough.

I like the size, and color options. Overall I think it will be a winner for parents to buy their kids. This is definately aimed at a younger audience with the colors.

To me, what's the difference between buying your kid a home stereo mini unit. Usually over 200 for a decent unit or a mini ipod that they can and will get more use out of. I think it will be a winner, and if not. The prices will drop or the unit will be dropped.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    I think 500 songs for $129.00 would have been better buy. That 62% share Apple is going after obviously has a problem spending more than $100-150. Why does Apple think they will suddenly be able to spend twice as much as what they paid for their flash players? If they could afford an iPod they would buy one.....they can't so they buy $100 knock-offs. $249 does not make them any closer to being able to buy an iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    charge over USB2 seems the only real innovation

slightly smaller, significantly less capacity (4G vs 15G), for not much less money ($50).

unless you're desperate in need of anodized pastel shells

pass
  • Reply 17 of 110
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I just don't get Steve. He says he wants to go after a $99-199 market, and does it with a $249 product. It's a great product, awesome form factor, nice colors....but just too pricey. It's not a "low-cost iPod for the rest of us". It's a high-end toy for people who value small size (and color). It'll start life as a niche toy for rich people who already have iPods, and if anything, it will draw new buyers to the $299 iPod (three times the music for an extra 50 bucks). Maybe in a year it'll drift down to 199 and become a product that can stand on its own; I could even see a high-end iPodmini overlapping with the $299 iPod and competeing on form vs. capacity. But it doesn't sound like it will ever become the "entry-level iPod" we were all hoping for. And it's a strong sign, I think, that the iPods will not drop below their $300-500 price range anytime soon.

I still think that is absurd - $300-500 is an awfully high price range for mp3 players. Yet Apple can't build iPods fast enough to meet demand. And I'll be going out to buy a 15GB soon. Steve obviously knows something I don't.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'll admit it's sexy, but WAAAAYYYYY overpriced!

Price per gigabyte:

iPod 40GB: $12.48

iPod 20GB: $19.95

iPod 15GB: $19.93

iPod mini: $62.25!!!

If iPod mini were $199: $49.75/Gb

If iPod mini were $149: $37.25/Gb

If iPod mini were $129: $32.25/Gb

1. They should have left the bottom iPod at 10Gb.

2. This is the most blatantly overpriced Apple product I've ever seen.

I'm glad I'd never want that small of storage, because I'd never pay that price.

• Reply 19 of 110
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    I expect we'll see price drops before too long -- the gap up to the 15GB model is pretty narrow. I suspect the current price reflects limited supplies of either the unit or the drives, and when that's all sorted they'll knock off $50.

Also, I'm not sure the real risk here is people buying the 15GB over the mini. I think the reverse is more likely. For a lot of people 4GB is more than enough for their music collection, and the small size makes it much easier to carry with them. I think they'll say "Why pay $50 for 11GB I won't use, and have to carry something bigger for it?" How many people bought a 10GB iPod because they wanted an iPod, and that was the cheapest one? Many, I'd bet. Those people are now going to buy a mini.

We may compare the models and think it's not such a great deal, but consumers are (or Apple's betting that they are) worried about how they are going to use the product: in the target market, the $50 over the competition is unquestionably well spent.

$50 off the price would sure be real nice though!
  • Reply 20 of 110
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    People. This morning Rio announced a 4GB HD player... at $249. So the price is not bad. Those that thought that a $99 HD player was in the offing were simply not in touch with reality. This player will sell like hot cakes to females, kids, etc. Here's the Press Release:

Quote:

Apple Introduces iPod mini

Tuesday January 6, 2:02 pm ET

Smallest 1,000 Song Music Player Ever Comes in Five Colors

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today introduced iPod(TM) mini, the smallest portable music player ever to hold up to 1,000 CD-quality songs. iPod mini is encased in an ultra-portable, lightweight anodized aluminum body available in five stylish colors -- silver, gold, pink, blue or green -- and features a patent pending, touch-sensitive Click Wheel for easy, one-handed navigation. iPod mini features the same award-winning user interface as its "big brother" iPods and works effortlessly with Apple's iTunes® Music Store, the world's number one digital music service, and the iTunes digital music jukebox software for seamlessly buying, managing and listening to digital music collections.

ADVERTISEMENT

"iPod has revolutionized the way people listen to music," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPod mini joins the iPod family of best-selling digital music players, offering customers the same 1,000 songs in your pocket as the original iPod in an innovative design that's half the size. We think its going to be pretty popular, especially with younger music lovers."

iPod mini is the perfect combination of ultra-portable design, storage capacity, ease-of-use and audio performance. iPod mini is smaller than most cell phones and weighs only 3.6 ounces. Building on the success of the original touch wheel, iPod mini features an innovative, new Click Wheel that combines the ease and simplicity of a touch wheel with the precision of mechanical buttons for precise, one-handed navigation. iPod mini users can transfer a song per second from their Mac® or Windows computer and conveniently charge iPod mini with either the included FireWire or USB 2.0 cable.

iPod mini is the ultimate fashion statement with a choice of five stylish colors -- silver, gold, pink, blue or green -- the hallmark white headphones and a new belt clip. With a backlit, recessed screen and lightweight, yet durable anodized aluminum, iPod mini is the ultimate portable digital music player. Users can purchase an optional arm band, in-ear headphones or a dock to enhance their iPod mini experience.

iPod mini features Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads an entire digital music library onto iPod mini and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod mini is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using FireWire or USB 2.0.

Users can personalize their new iPod mini with a custom laser engraving on the back. iPod mini can be custom engraved with a name or personal message to commemorate special events such as a graduation, birthday or a winning team's season, as well as for identification in case they lose their iPod.

Pricing & Availability

iPod mini for Mac and Windows will be available in the US in February for a suggested retail price of $249 (US), and will be available worldwide in April, in a choice of a silver, gold, pink, blue or green 4GB model with a belt clip. iPod mini will be available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod minis will include earbud headphones, an Apple iPod mini power adapter, a 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB 2.0 cable, and a CD with iTunes 4.2 for Mac and Windows computers.

Optional accessories with the following suggested retail prices include the iPod Dock for $39 (US), in-ear headphones for $39 (US) and arm band for $29 (US). Laser engraving is available for iPod mini for $19 (US) and can include two lines of text with up to 23 characters per line.

iPod mini can be charged with either the FireWire or USB 2.0 cable and gets up to eight hours of battery life. iPod mini requires a Mac with a FireWire port and Mac OS® X version 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X v10.2 or later recommended); or a Windows PC with a FireWire or USB 2.0 port, or a Windows- certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

(C) 2004 Apple. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iPod, iTunes, FireWire and Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.