'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

good job apple. way to please the minority of the minorities.

Exactly my point last night.

New iPhoto looks great though.
  • Reply 42 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by I Have Questions

Yep. 1/2 of US households. Pretty small minority.

thats a bogus stat. means nothing.
  • Reply 43 of 245
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Yes... Killer app and suite! I'll end up shelling out $49 for iLife now, probably. The price is more than reasonable for the value. However, I hope the other i-Applications remain a free download (such as iPhoto, iMovie, etc). The updates for these apps should remain the same...right?
  • Reply 44 of 245
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Cripes! This really is Soundtrack Lite, but it also adds MIDI support! I'm really drooling here...

Yeah, I shouldn't have spent $59 on Mixman. Oh well... can save up $50 by the 16th, and then I just need to convert my .trk loops to Acid format for use as GB loops.
  • Reply 45 of 245
    This may prove to be the inspiration I need to pick up my guitar again.
  • Reply 46 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

thats a bogus stat. means nothing.

Well obviously it doesn't mean that 1/2 of US households are going to run out and buy a Mac b/c they want Garage Band. But what it does mean is that a hell of a lot of people play instruments in this country and have never really had an easy way to mix and record their stuff. Now they do.

For instance, I play the guitar. Not well. But hey, now I can plug into my Mac, add some background, add some loops, mix it together... cool! Then I can add it to my iMovies or my iPhoto slideshows that I just burned on iDVD. My movies, my pictures, my own personal soundtrack, all recorded on my own DVD... and all for $49.

If you pitch it that way, it isn't a tiny majority at all, it's a pitch aimed at millions and millions of potential customers.

Now, just b/c you don't play an instrument, that doesn't mean that no one does. When iMovie came out, I didn't have a DV camera, and when iPhoto came out, I didn't have a digital still camera. So clearly I wasn't jumping around excited about it, because I wasn't a part of the target market. Looks like they made a product that didn't target you. Get over it. There are lots of people that make music. Sorry you aren't one of us.
  • Reply 47 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I can't wait to try GarageBand! This is exactly what I've been looking for, a way to easily record my playing (bass) on my laptop. I've tried some other apps (all I want is to record and do minor editing so I can hear myself from a 3rd person perspective) and nothing has been easy.

I'm sure if Apple did it, GarageBand will be easy, intuitive and I'll be an expert with the program in 10 minutes. I can't wait to get my hands on this update!
  • Reply 48 of 245
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Cripes! This really is Soundtrack Lite, but it also adds MIDI support! I'm really drooling here...

Yeah, I shouldn't have spent $59 on Mixman. Oh well... can save up $50 by the 16th, and then I just need to convert my .trk loops to Acid format for use as GB loops.

Look Soundtrack sucks for any real music creation. I don't know what your used to using but it's featureless AFAIAC. The only thing that does reasonably well is make Soundtracks for your movie projects. There is no real editing features, and any original composing is non existent. I'm going to buy it, and the $99.00 expansion pack. I think it's a fantastic application.
  • Reply 49 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm wondering about the loops. They seem to be either 1. MIDI files or 2. just samples, maybe in .aif. So if you pick some of those aif samples and stick them together, they must just all be in the same key. If you use MIDI samples, I suppose there's some way to change their pitch. It's kinda lame to just stick some samples together and not be able to change their pitch to have chord changes. Who wants to play the same chord the whole song? Even So What changes chords sometimes.

But Jobs also looked like he sped up the whole thing, which would be tricky with simple sound samples. How did he do that?
  • Reply 50 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Well, soundtrack has built in key correction, quite sophisticated too, which lets the .aif loops change pitch pretty well, I'd imagine it's the same with garageband.

this is EXACTLY the application I've been waiting for. And the price! wowowowowow! $49, this is like...too perfect.

Now I want to see apple release a 49 key midi keyboard(usb) with a built in audio I/O THAT would be killer...heck make it firewire so it doesn't need a AC adaptor.

I think this will be huge, especially since it's free with every new mac, come jan 16th. Right now the biggest reason for a PC user to switch to apple is because of the iLife applications+address book, mail.app...etc., and apple has just made a BIG step forward in completing that suite.

next up, a killer word processor.
  • Reply 51 of 245
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Look Soundtrack sucks for any real music creation. I don't know what your used to using but it's featureless AFAIAC. The only thing that does reasonably well is make Soundtracks for your movie projects. There is no real editing features, and any original composing is non existent. I'm going to buy it, and the $99.00 expansion pack. I think it's a fantastic application.

A fantastic application that sucks?

I think it's great for someone like me who just wants to do some loop mixing, maybe learn a little keyboarding, but it's probably not for professionals of course.

Hm. One thing I'm not seeing is anything mentioning other loop formats (Acid, plain WAV, etc.). Not reassuring... I've got tons of loops that I was planning on converting from Mixman's .trk format to Acid, which would work just fine inside of Soundtrack. But I'm not sure GarageBand can handle them...

And I don't know of any app for converting Acid loops to Apple Loops.
  • Reply 52 of 245
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

Exactly my point last night.

New iPhoto looks great though.

musicians are a minority that pays $$ for hardware...the best kind of minority to please...(Guitar Center is an authorized seller, Apple knows what's up - they want to be the leader in tools for creative content)

jeez, what do you think iLife is for?

iTunes - regular joes to organize music

iPhoto - regular joes to take photos

iMovie - regular joes to make movies

iDVD - regular joes to make DVDs

ummm...Garage Band - regular joes record/practice music

another segment that didn't look to buy macs that will...
  • Reply 53 of 245
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Now I want to see apple release a 49 key midi keyboard(usb) with a built in audio I/O THAT would be killer...heck make it firewire so it doesn't need a AC adaptor.

Close enough?
  • Reply 54 of 245
    Ok then,

Who is going to post his or her first "home recorded" GarageBand track on AI?

• Reply 55 of 245
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh, and if it weren't sweet enough...

Edu price is $29.
  • Reply 56 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

musicians are a minority that pays $$ for hardware...the best kind of minority to please...(Guitar Center is an authorized seller, Apple knows what's up - they want to be the leader in tools for creative content).

Yeah, and I think lots of non-musicians will think this is cool. Who doesn't like to fiddle with drum machines and put together samples like Steve did in that demo?

BTW, I noticed the standard education price for iLife is $29.
  • Reply 57 of 245
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

There are a few out there, Edirol(roland) and M-Audio that don't need adapters and have real time programmable knobs...you'll want to check that out...
  • Reply 58 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I know, I was checking them out, and have been.
  • Reply 59 of 245
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Speaking of edu pricing - this is perfect for schools with a Music Dpt that want to get into Music Technology.

It practically sells itself, and is also a perfect way to promote "little Johnnie's school band" with iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes integration. I just wish they came out with this last year. It certainly would have helped swaying purchasing decisions, since the music software price was built in and there would be no "real" need to fork out extra for other loop software. \
  • Reply 60 of 245
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seemed curious at first, but it does make sense when you consider what iMovie and iDVD do. They're all content creation apps, as opposed to iTunes and iPhoto which, while they have some limited editing/creation tools, more so in iPhoto, they are primarily for finding and sorting stuff: catalog apps. In that sense, Garage Band dovetails with iDVD and iMovie nicely. All Apple is missing are a 3D app and a Paintshop/PS Elements knockoff.

I can understand how even iMovie would be a paid upgrade now along with Garage Band and iDVD. I don't imagine I would be using Garage Band much myself, but it sounds like a lot of people are going to be happy and having fun.