New iPhoto.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
God I hope it is able to actually handle 25,000 photos w/o slowing down. That would rock, and I would actually love to have Rendezvous photo sharing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Man I thought you actually had information on this. Perhaps you should have waited until after the keynote to speculate. Just my $.02
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Also, I'm excited that he talks about rotating keeping full resolution--that's my other pet peeve.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Man I thought you actually had information on this. Perhaps you should have waited until after the keynote to speculate. Just my $.02

Actually, Steve just said in the keynote that the biggest feature is that it can handle 25,000 pictures without slowing down. Same with the rendezvous sharing.

The thread stays.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I don't see why I should wait--that seems unnecessarily spoilsportish. When I test the app, I'll let you know.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Also, iPhoto ordering in Europe come March--let the bitching come to an end!
  • Reply 6 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Other details from MacMinute coverage:

Photo ordering also in Japan coming soon (next month)

Multiple songs and playlists can be used for slideshow

Sepia effect, maybe others? or just improved current ones

Smart albums, which should be interesting for photo enthusiasts assuming it can organize by EFIX data
  • Reply 7 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    My sincere apologies Mrmister. I thought you were merely speculating until I read the report. I'm hoping for speed.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    S'ok.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    just missed the keynote,

am i right that no more free download of new iphoto, imovie, ??
  • Reply 10 of 40
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    There are no links for any iLife application on Apple.com, but Jobs said these applications would not be available to order until Jan 16th. I hope the downloads are up at this time also. GarageBand and iDVD, I understand these applications are large for a download, but I wish we did have the option. I did buy a Mac already... However, I'll be a bit upset if the other apps turn out to have no downloadable update...*sighs*

I guess we'll see soon...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

just missed the keynote,

am i right that no more free download of new iphoto, imovie, ??

Right. I think the free ride for these has ended.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Also, iPhoto ordering in Europe come March--let the bitching come to an end!

Muhahahahha!! We still have two months left to whine in!!!
  • Reply 13 of 40
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I can only find download links for iTunes on the Apple site.

As Hobbes said, it looks like the free ride is over. iDVD has always been a paid update, and I'm sure that GarageBand would never be a downloadable program. But, with the updates to iPhoto, and the addition of GarageBand, $50 is quite the paltry sum to part with for all this software goodness.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Guys... These applications are NOT available yet...

So there is no way a link to download the new versions could be on the pages yet. I do not give up hope so soon.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Hmmm...Last year before the Keynote there was a lot of people up in arms over the fact that it looked like all of the iApps would be paid upgrades. Turns out they weren't. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out though. The way the new versions were introduced was somewhat ambiguous: it was never said 100% clearly that there will be no free updates to iPhoto or iMovie. It seems like there will not be, but Apple does have quite a bit of wiggle room here. I'm pretty sure they'll be getting a question or two about this on the floor of the show, so maybe we'll get lucky and get a clear official statement one way or the other.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Right. I think the free ride for these has ended.

The iLife bundle is $29 if you qualify for the edu price. Thank goodness my better half teaches at the local community college!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I doubt there will be free updates. The new suite does come free with all new Macs however. At $49 it ain't too bad a deal.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Judging from the press release, it sounds like iTunes will remain the only free download. There was no mention of other downloads becoming available at all. That's my interpretation anyway. That's a shame for iPhoto at least. I think iPhoto and iTunes are sort of special catalogging apps moreso than iMovie, iDVD or now Garage Band, which are more for creating content. iMovie might be too cumbersome for downloading also at this point. iTunes is the only one with another revenue stream, so the free updates for current users of the other apps (iPhotoand iMovie anyway) don't have much to stand on except precedence. I do wish Apple left iPhoto for free. Oh well.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boss_Jim

The iLife bundle is $29 if you qualify for the edu price. Thank goodness my better half teaches at the local community college!

Looks like they are keeping this quite cheap (which further suggests no free upgrades). Heck, here in Canada the normal price is just $59 and the edu price is $29. Looks like Apple is slowly getting less cruel with exchange rates!
  • Reply 20 of 40
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Just placed my $29 edu order for it...come the 16th I'll be a happy camper.