iPhoto & iMovie no longer free

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Steve made no mention of iPhoto or iMovie still being free like he did when iLife was first introduced.

Quote:

Pricing & Availability

iLife ?04 will be available on January 16 for a suggested retail price of $49 (US) through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The iLife ?04 applications will also be included with all new Macs. An iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a new Mac on or after January 6 that does not include iLife ?04. The iLife Up-To-Date package is available for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95 (US). iTunes version 4.2 is currently available as a free download atwww.apple.com.

This is a bad move. I'm sure that they want people to play with GarageBand and iDVD, but for people that don't have a SuperDrive, it seems kind of crazy to shell out $49 for a version of iPhoto that isn't God Awful Slow?.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I totally disagree. $49 for all of this ($29 edu) is more than fair pricing for what they represent. I like this pricing decision a lot more than the $249 for the iPod mini.

$49 is what, dinner for two at Red Lobster?
  • Reply 2 of 47
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    anybody remotely involved in the video or music industry is drooling (like myself). for less than 350 bucks (edu discount) i get final cut express 2 and all the ilife apps. awesome.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    iTunes is a current download.... It is speaking in the present tense, but it makes no claim on any other individual application. The other apps are not available yet. I do not give up hope on iPhoto, even iMovie, being updated as a download on Apple.com. I think Steve would mention any change.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't think we're going to continue getting iMovie and iPhoto for free, though iTunes will remain so undoubtedly. That said, $49 is WAY fair when you include GarageBand. I just got a G5 but I have no problems shelling out $50 for that. Tempted to get FCE 2 also.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I didn't see the thread in Software. Even though I posed it in the right forum, I guess this one should be locked.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

I totally disagree. $49 for all of this ($29 edu) is more than fair pricing for what they represent. I like this pricing decision a lot more than the $249 for the iPod mini.

Read the post. It makes sense to only offer iPhoto for free. The way iPhoto stands now, this upgrade should be free.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Read the post. It makes sense to only offer iPhoto for free. The way iPhoto stands now, this upgrade should be free.

Well, Apple has apparently decided that the iApps are not going to be distributed ala carte (other than iTunes, which has its own revenue source).

If iPhoto is the only iApp a person uses, $49 still isn't that bad at all as an upgrade price. (plus you get the other iApps). What does Adobe charge for its Album program?

If the argument is that the current version of iPhoto sucks so bad that the upgrade should be free, well I disagree.

This is just sour grapes based on Apple's decision to charge for iLife -- just like the complaints when Apple decided to end iTools and starting charging for .mac (And, arguably unlike iTools, Apple never promised free upgrades for life for iPhoto).

$49 is very, very reasonable for the additional value represented by these iLife upgrades.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

How about iLife for $49 USD with a discount cupon for Red Lobster?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I will spend the $49. I'd painfully do it just for iDVD, but I'm definitely doing it for the whole darn package (I'm excited to play with iPhoto). At least they priced SOMETHING right today!
  • Reply 10 of 47
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Red Lobster? Do those places actually exist? I've never seen one in my entire life. Maybe there just aren't any in NH or MA?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    As always someone needs some sort of justification to want something free. We don't if iPhoto will not receive a small update or not. But it's altogether possible that iPhoto had large archictectural updates to gain that speed.

I want to see Apple move forward and gain not sit around placating the needs to people who want to penny pinch on Apple's dime. Yes you bought(and used) your hardware. Yes you supported Apple but everyone is looking to make it through this tough econonmy as unscathed as possible. Software engineers have done excellent work with these apps. I don't mind seeing them rewarded. Apple was even gracious enough to offer a family pack for just $79. Where else can I find a 5 computer license for a suite that creates music edits video burns dvds manages my photos and plays my music tracks. Good luck.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Red Lobster? Do those places actually exist? I've never seen one in my entire life. Maybe there just aren't any in NH or MA?

RL is what passes for seafood restaurants here in the upper Midwest (no Legal Seafood for us )

I grew up in Omaha - there was a Red Lobster on 72nd Street just south of Dodge, and it was ALWAYS packed.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

I've seen them in Texas. They're actually really good restaurants. Even tho they don't sell hamburgers, you feel like you're in "The Crusty Crab" from SpongeBob SquarePants.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

iMovie has not been free since the release of v2.0, way back in July of 2000. That's three and a half years ago, people. Not free.

Uh, iMovie 2 was a paid upgrade, but iMove 3 was a free download last year.

Now that I think about it, I paid $49 just for iMovie 2, having to pay $49 for the entire iLife '04 package is not a bad deal at all.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Look on the other side. No more shall the development of these iApps be subsidized by the high prices of Mac machines especially by those who keep complaining thread after thread about how useless and horrible the iApps are. Corporations who don't need these should also be happier with the lower price.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Yes, its sad that it will no longer be free, but just remember that you get what you pay for. if iphoto now costs money, that means that there will be more money availible to apple for R&D on it to make it a much better app instead of getting mediocre updates whenever they have the free time.

personally, to get iMovie 4, iDVD 4(make dvds w/o owning a superdrive, YES!!)garage band and iPhoto 4, 50$ is not that bad a deal at all. I dont include itunes in that list, as adding itunes to that is like throwing in AOL or Earthlink.

if you find the price too offensive, go get your self a copy of acquisition or poisoned and get all the software you wnat without making your wallet complain.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Yeah, we don't have Fisherman's Wharf here in the landlocked states.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I will pay $50 bucks or find my cousin to get it for $30 in his university

I think iDVD 4 and Garageband really are worth paying.

I love the simplicity of iDVD 3 but it didn't have menu navigation table so it's very hard to track what you have done. I don't really like DVD SP

Now iDVD 4 has that navigation table I definitely will get it.....

Garageband......so I don't need to get Reason. I am not a real musician so I think GB will be good enough for me.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    It seems the addition of Garage Band to iLife is both to sweeten the pot and make paying for these i-apps less of a big deal. However, iDVD did not come with 10.3, but I got iPhoto (and iMovie, iTunes...but you get the idea...) from the new OS (Panther) installation. What about iCal and iSync? I'd like to hope that upgrades to the OS installed i-applications get a downloadable update on Apple.com come Jan 16th. I'm not holding my breath... NOTE!-> I am not saying these applications should be free or otherwise. Actually, if you follow my argument, I'd say these i-app came with the 10.3 OS which just cost me $129. Did we not just pay for these as part of Panther? Steve did not say anything about a change in the cost of these other applications, however he did not say anything about not paying for an upgrade either. Just a thought...

Of course, iLife is a steal. No one in their right mind can say $49 is a ripoff for so much in one set of applications. But this argument only holds water if a user wants all iLife has to offer. If one believes they just bought iPhoto as part of a new Mac or OS, I think we could have a third petition of users with a lawsuit. I'm kidding...kinda... :/

I do not mind anyone making money. Certainly, I do not mind my favorite company making as much money as possible. However, I do have a problem with paying for something twice, regardless of the amount. I'd say it is a matter of principle more than being over money.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep, and no one around here will even care that they're not free anymore. just like when i pointed out that you still can't get safari without upgrading to panther (sure, there's more to panther than safari, but calling safari free anymore is inaccurate). that lil' point was met with silence and crickets.

i've tried to support apple for a while, but i'm beinning to see "micro-upgrade payments" all over their pricing structure that's really starting to bother me. i mean, i can't be the only one who feels like, yes, the upgrades seem impressive compared to other apps on the mac or windows platform, but doesn't anyone else feel like we're being nickeled and dimed to death? yeah, yeah, i know no one is forcing me to upgrade, but remember they also often use this to justify keeping a new mac's price at a particular price rather than dropping it... ilife may not figure into your buying decision at all, but it's inextricably included on your computer, so...

(sh!t, where have i heard that before???)

call me a cynic, but how long until we're trying to say "well, you know, a comparable program to iCal 3 costs over $150 for windows, so $75 isn't that bad, and iSync 4 has no equal, so it must be worth $50. and apple's being nice enough to bundle the two together for just $60... that's like getting iCal FREE! plus, think of all the R&D it'll help for other projects!"