I hate iTMS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've got $20 of iTMS money to spend. But I can't for the life of me figure out what to buy. Everything I want is "partial album" and there's no freaking way I wouldn't go down to HMV and get the "entire album" instead of wasting my money for something incomplete. I like completeness. Or if there's a song I want, I think, "I'll probably end up getting the album anyway" and I don't want to waste my $0.99 when I'm just going to get a physical copy anyway.

One thing I'd buy at iTMS is extended remixes. But there aren't any. Or something that's out of print and I can't buy in a store. But there aren't any. Or something that's a good value like a 20-minute Prog-rock track. Oops. Not available.

Then there's the stuff that's missing. I asked for a iTMS gift cert specifically so that I could get "Happy Christmas" without buying a $20 CD full of stuff I already have like "Last Christmas" and stuff I don't want like Bing Crosby. But no Lennon at the ITMS of course.

There's no classic King Crimson. There's no Monaco or Eggstone and the only Dada album is "partial" Why? Why can't they have the whole freaking album?

There's only one Muse album. I was hoping for extra tracks from the CD singles. But no.

Then I want to replace the leeched stuff with legit copies. One certain iMac commercial had a great cover version of the Smiths' "How Soon is Now?". At that time I leeched the excellent Snake River Conspiracy version as well as the awesome Love Spit Love version. Neither is at the iTMS. Out of curiosity I checked for the original. NO SMITHS at the iTMS!!!! Imagine going into a record store that didn't carry the Smiths (or the Beatles, for that matter). What a joke. I almost downloaded the one versoin of How Soon is Now? that was available... t.A.T.u. But my better judgment saved me.

I just can't figure out what to buy. I have a feeling I'll have $20 in there for a very long time. Help me find something worthwhile that I can't just go get in more complete form down at HMV. Please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jahyjahy Posts: 54member
    Do you like audiobooks?

I just read your sig - do you know who wrote that SNL sketch? He has also written some other things that are available at the iTMS. It's 21.95 though.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Check out some music at www.allmusic.com and then see if you cant find at least 20 good songs to spend that cash on.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Why? Why can't they have the whole freaking album?

The copyrights and distribution contracts for each song on an album are frequently quite complicated. If a song contains guest vocals by an artist from another label, then it is possible that that artist or label has prior contractual obligations.

Apple doesn't sit around and look for songs to exclude in order to make partial albums. Rather, it can be quite difficult to get all the material cleared with everyone who has a partial legal claim on that material.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    i can think of about 200 songs i want.... trust me, the songs are there, jsut keep thinking about something you want.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Give it to me then.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well we probably dont like th same kinda music, but just click on a genre and look at the popular downloads for it. i'm sure something will strike you.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    The Muse cds are very nice btw
  • Reply 8 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton There's no classic King Crimson. There's no Monaco or Eggstone and the only Dada album is "partial" Why? Why can't they have the whole freaking album?

There's only one Muse album. I was hoping for extra tracks from the CD singles. But no.

Hey, it's not our fault no one listens to such pretentious, hook-lacking shit.

j/k...relax.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Hey, it's not our fault no one listens to such pretentious, hook-lacking shit.

j/k...relax.

they should add that to the playlists....

library

radio

music store

recently played

top 25 most played

hook-lacking shit

acquisition
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I dare 'em...

There could be an entire section devoted solely to Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yanni and Steve Vai.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Yeah, I wonder if the Beatles will ever make it to iTMS?

That will be a MAJOR "get". I'm actually confident it'll happen within the year. I actually have all their stuff, so it's not like I'm needing it for me, but I know tons of people would really like it.

Plus, the "chid-rens" need to be educated and have easy, affordable access to them. At some point, they're going to tire of Britney and whatnot and might actually look for something a bit more meaningful. I can't think of a better band to start with.

• Reply 12 of 20
    the way i understand it is the beatles (and radiohead, for that matter) don't appreciate the ability to buy music on a track by track basis.

they believe the album to be "sacred".
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Hmm, interesting. Odd, because the Beatles certainly were quite a "singles" band, releasing 45s all throughout their career, allowing fans during the 60's to easily buy, say, "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" or "Help" b/w "I'm Down".

I know that a lot of their singles weren't on albums too, so that factors in I guess. But still, a lot of them were.

And you have to factor in the differences between the British albums and the American Capitol releases: different song lists, running order, missing or added tunes, etc.

I do understand that from, say, "Revolver" onward, their stuff was staged out to be a nice, cohesive listening experience via the entire album. But they STILL released singles up until their breakup. "Come Together", "Revolution", "Something", etc.

I would think Apple (the music Apple), McCartney, the Lennon and Harrison estates, etc. would see the iTMS as simply a modern vehicle to get their stuff MORE out there, in the hands of fans, potential fans, etc.

Besides, chances are, Beatle fans WOULD buy the entire album. We're like that.

If I didn't already own their stuff, I certainly would!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    i thought it was a smokescreen as well, since basically you can get all their stuff on a "track by track" basis all over the web.

i think they just don't like being dictated to.

edit = homonym maintenance
  • Reply 15 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, I wonder if the Beatles will ever make it to iTMS?

That will be a MAJOR "get". I'm actually confident it'll happen within the year. I actually have all their stuff, so it's not like I'm needing it for me, but I know tons of people would really like it.

Plus, the "chid-rens" need to be educated and have easy, affordable access to them. At some point, they're going to tire of Britney and whatnot and might actually look for something a bit more meaningful. I can't think of a better band to start with.

You're right Paul, there isn't a better band to start with. I'm actually surprised about how many people my age actually like the Beatles. At least I know I'm not the only one.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Actually doesn't Michael Jackson own the rights to a ton of Beatles songs?

I remember hearing he outbid McCartney for a ton of them.

If this is the case, I think it would be kind of difficult to contact MJ for licensing them at the moment, seeing as he's got a little more kiddy stuff in his hands right now.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I use iTMS to buy the few songs that I like. It works well for me.