Design aesthetic of new mini iPods.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Obviously very cool and chic. I wonder though if it would have been possible to make it the scroll wheel the same colour as the body.

The silver one doesn't look that bad, but the big contrast of white against green/blue/gold seem rather cheapish. Don't even ask me about pink.

Maybe it's just that I dislike two-tone (especially in cars).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Maybe wait and look at them in person. My guess is they will look better, and that pink one has your name on it!!!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    I think they wanted the wheel to stand out and to be a design element that people would immediately recognize as "Ipod mini". That is the goal at least.

I think they really screwed up on the name though... it sounds like a feminine hygiene product....

Also not having a black one is just a crime... and the muted pastel colors kind of defeats the purpose of color if you ask me.

I really feel these Ipod minis were designed specifically for the Asian market though. They scream that to me. The pricing structure really supports this as well.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think they look really good, the new button system is pretty awesome, and they are tiny but they still look very funtional.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    yea, they should've been named

minIpods
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Why the heck couldn't they have put one of those super thin displays on these too... forgetting the name now... you know... the ultra thin monitor technology... OLED! That is it.

Why couldn't they have used one of those on here for this price?

A whitish one would have been the Awsome.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

minIpods

minAYEpods?

that's terrible
  • Reply 7 of 47
    They should have called them "Pea"Pods.

Or gone ghetto... and called them IPooties.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSegway

I really feel these Ipod minis were designed specifically for the Asian market though. They scream that to me. The pricing structure really supports this as well.

Yeah, they will be big in Japan where MiniDisc is king.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    iPod Jr.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    I kinda like the name iPod mini. Tho, I did like "miniPods".

iPodlets, iPod Light/Lite
  • Reply 11 of 47
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hmmm maybe anodized 12" PowerBooks to match?

a "barbie" book! with matching accessories!
  • Reply 12 of 47
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I actually think the new mini iPods look like ass... just one man's opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I actually think the new mini iPods look like ass... just one man's opinion.

Heh-- I'd say precisely one man's opinion. I have 2 daughters that aren't going to rest until they own oen, once they find out. I think they're cute, myself.

CV
  • Reply 14 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I generally like the simplicity of a one-tone design myself, though there are limits (like the 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS Honda Civic crapper I saw the other day with orange-tinted windows). Still, I think they look great, and I like the flat top and bottom.

I prefer to call them miniPods just because now I have to differentiate between "iPod mini" and "regular iPod." I don't like placing that word "regular" in there to make the difference clear.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Actually after seeing some other photos, the silver one is kind of nice.

But the price is still too much considering the lowend 15gig is only $50 more. Take it to $199-$225 and at least 5gig and I'd like it more.

Also, if I didn't already own a 15gig iPod... I might see these differently....... but still, I have a lot of music.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I think they look really nice. I already had a few friends wanting one.

I think they will do pretty well.

On some other forums people brought up the fact that the iPod minis are too close in price point to the "full" size iPods, but to an extent they are targeting different markets. for some 3700 songs is a LOT and they might like the size and aesthetics of the iPod minis.

I think they will drop in price in a little while anyways.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Okay...the topic was design aesthetic, not product naming!

That said, the silver one in the closeup shot looks pretty sweet.

What do you think the chances are that future iPods (the grown up ones) will have the new all in one button/scroll wheel?

When you see how simple it is, yet so functional, it makes the four rowed button model seem rather amateurish. I'm also partial to the original moving scroll wheel w/buttons around it too...but that's because I own one.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    After looking that the pic next to the T68, I have to say that it blows away the "traditional" white iPod. If it came in 40GB I would be all over in in a heart beat. Hell, I would pay $50 more for a iPod mini if it had a larger capacity. I mean look at it. It's so much better than the regular old iPod. Must resist buying one. Must resist.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

minIpods

No they shouldn't.

iPodlet. m.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    My gf's birthday was on the 28th Dec., and I got her an iPod 'promise card', as new ones were rumored coming out in a week or so (hey, that's what she gets for dating a Mac geek).

I was fully prepared to order the 40GB model, but she wants the Mini. Believe me, I explained the difference in capacity, song per GB value...everything. She didn't budge. Considering a green one even.

And this girl has an incredible aesthetic sense, uncanny fashion-forward knowingness and impeccable taste *ahem*.

The mini will be big. Now I'm sure of it.

(And before anyone gives me any grief about giving my girl a 'promise card', I'll have you know I constructed a handmade dimensional model of the existing iPod...engraved and all...using images from the VR, meticulously crafted inside another handmade card that simply said on the cover "iLove You". )