Microsoft Office 2004

Comments

• Reply 21 of 192
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I remember Ros saying "Spring" but not April. Could be I missed it though. I was jumping back and forth to email during that segment.
  • Reply 22 of 192
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I would have killed to have this version of Office when I was a college. I used to do the notebook stuff by taking notes in Word and recording my lectures using Amedeus 2. It was a pain in the ass to record in AIFF then compress down to MP3. This is going to be a huge selling point for Macs in higher education.
  • Reply 23 of 192
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I can't wait until OpenOffice/Quartz comes out in 2006. For the moment, I'll stick with Mariner Write and Calc.

Barto

OpenOffice for Mac is vaporware. By 2006, North Korea may have nuked the world already.

The future is kOffice. That guy that got it ported to OS X should get a medal. Read that again. One guy. Lean codebase, as opposed to OpenOffice.

This is the exact same situation Apple was in when they chose khtml to build Safari. I hope that somebody, whether Apple, Nisus, Mariner or Omni picks this up fast and build a nice Mac user interfaceon top of the code.
  • Reply 24 of 192
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'm with ZO, give me Entourage with hooks into Address Book and I'll be happy. I've set my Mom up with Mail on Panther and it just isn't "there" yet. Actually, the best solution is somewhere between the two.

I was sad to see those dorky buttons in the top lefthand side of Entourage, I don't like the interface.
  • Reply 25 of 192
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if you buy the student and teacher edition of X for $149 you can upgrade to pro (with VPC 7 and XP pro I assume) for another $129 (+ $10 shipping when 2004 ships)
  • Reply 26 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I would have killed to have this version of Office when I was a college. I used to do the notebook stuff by taking notes in Word and recording my lectures using Amedeus 2. It was a pain in the ass to record in AIFF then compress down to MP3. This is going to be a huge selling point for Macs in higher education.

Wouldn't using an iPod with a voice recorder be a more elegant solution? If you already have an iPod, buying a voice add-on is cheaper than buying Office 2004, even at the edu price.

And even with Office 2004 you're going to have to buy an external mic.

Personally I still like to take notes by hand. Typing on a keyboard uses both hemispheres of the brain. I can take notes manually and concentrate better on the discussion using only one hand.

If Apple had made an 8.5x11 Newton I'd have bought it in a heartbeat for that reason.
  • Reply 27 of 192
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

oh look... built in excel print preview imitating PDF (admittedly editable)

Actually this is a great feature. IE has it, and it is the one reason I keep IE around. Apple should copy Microsoft and put it into Safari.
  • Reply 28 of 192
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The future is kOffice. That guy that got it ported to OS X should get a medal. Read that again. One guy.

Porting a fairly standard Qt application to Mac, Linux or Windows (and whatever other platforms Qt is available on) isn't a noteworthy achievement. Making it polished on a different platform is. It does take some time, but it's not like you are actually porting the whole codebase to a different platform, just the 0.01% of code that isn't standard.

KOffice is NOT the future. Maybe on Linux, but I doubt anyone there thinks it is when OpenOffice is a million times faster, more compatible and has more features.

Right now, all the frameworks needed to make a good office suite are basically there in Mac OS X. It's mainly the user interface that needs building, and that is totally platform specific (or should be, anyway). Which is why OpenOffice is NOT porting 1.0 to Aqua, but waiting until 2.0 when the user interface code is rewritten, so they can create a truely native interface.

Barto
  • Reply 29 of 192
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

Wouldn't using an iPod with a voice recorder be a more elegant solution? If you already have an iPod, buying a voice add-on is cheaper than buying Office 2004, even at the edu price.

And even with Office 2004 you're going to have to buy an external mic.

Personally I still like to take notes by hand. Typing on a keyboard uses both hemispheres of the brain. I can take notes manually and concentrate better on the discussion using only one hand.

If Apple had made an 8.5x11 Newton I'd have bought it in a heartbeat for that reason.

I don't think the iPod is a more elegant solution for a number of reasons. First, I would need to add the files to the word document anyway so I can keep them synced. Secondly, iPod audio recorders didn't exist when I was in college. Thirdly, All of Apple's laptops have built in mics that are very good at picking up sounds from a lecture, so the need to carry an external mic is a non-issue. Fourthly, I can type faster and more accurately than I can write. I think this really is going to be a boon to college students.
  • Reply 30 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Thirdly, All of Apple's laptops have built in mics that are very good at picking up sounds from a lecture, so the need to carry an external mic is a non-issue.

Well my bad. I'm sitting here looking at my iBook 600 for a mic - I can't find it but something is definitely showing up in Sound Input.

But the noise I making while typing sends the input level to over half on the Sound Input meter.

I'm gonna have to try this out in a meeting and see if the noise of typing distracts or obscures the discussion.

But, hey, cool !!

Quote:

Fourthly, I can type faster and more accurately than I can write. I think this really is going to be a boon to college students.

I don't know - a class of 20 or 30 students, all taking notes on their laptops -- it might sound like my high school typing class.
  • Reply 31 of 192
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I think this is a pathetic upgrade on the part of MS.

It's a few of the new PC Office version features with NONE of the real Mac requirements (HELLO! FULL EXCHANGE SERVER SUPPORT IN ENTØURAGE!).

If they were fixing the Entourage weaknesses, it certainly would've been mentioned.
  • Reply 32 of 192
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

Well my bad. I'm sitting here looking at my iBook 600 for a mic - I can't find it but something is definitely showing up in Sound Input.

incredibly enough, look at your screen... on the right (or left) hand side, in the middle or slightly up, on the bezel of course, you'll see a pinhole sized hole... THAT is your mic (believe it or not)
  • Reply 33 of 192
    hearnhearn Posts: 9member
    Here's one amusing tidbit about MS Office 2004: One of the touted new "key features" is a fully-editable, live Page Layout view.

This feature has been in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks for 13 years. It's great to see that in Office 2004 has finally caught up with ClarisWorks 1991...

More info at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php .

Bob Hearn
  • Reply 34 of 192
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I would not care if there was not one new feature provided that they fixed what was already there to make it work properly. Heck, I am desperate enough even to pay for such a fix.
  • Reply 35 of 192
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hearn

Here's one amusing tidbit about MS Office 2004: One of the touted new "key features" is a fully-editable, live Page Layout view.

This feature has been in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks for 13 years. It's great to see that in Office 2004 has finally caught up with ClarisWorks 1991...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!

wow, good read.

I remember writing my first papers(hah!)--book reports and all, on a computer in Claris Works for the IIGS (way back in 1992-3, 3rd grade... It was on manatees). What a great piece of software... I miss it.
  • Reply 36 of 192
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is one of the new "key features" saving files with names more than 32 characters long?
  • Reply 37 of 192
    I think there may be a stolen feature in Office 2004.

There is a small 2 person company called Circus Ponies that makes a product called Notebook, View their product here

The similarity between Notebook from Circus Ponies and Word Notebook from Microsoft are too close to be a coincidence. You can view a demo of Word Notebook in the Keynote movie at apple: The relevant part is 16:45 into the Movie.
  • Reply 38 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

I think there may be a stolen feature in Office 2004.

There is a small 2 person company called Circus Ponies that makes a product called Notebook, View their product here

The similarity between Notebook from Circus Ponies and Word Notebook from Microsoft are too close to be a coincidence. You can view a demo of Word Notebook in the Keynote movie at apple: The relevant part is 16:45 into the Movie.

Word Note is just a crap cut down port of MS OneNote 2003, wich may have been taken form Circus Ponies Notebook
  • Reply 39 of 192
    If that suite would come from any other dev team we all would run over each other to post how great it is and all that, but since it comes from ms, everyone tries to find something to bash it for.

Actually MBU has some great developers, and office is really good piece of software. Sure Microsoft is shit, but don't you think that those guys are macheads too?, just so happens that they work for MS.

Give them a break

• Reply 40 of 192
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I just hope the new Entourage gives us some of this Exchange specific features like:

* PST support

* Out of Office assistant

* Multiple Exchange accounts

* Server Side rules

* GAL browsing

* email group browsing

* real public folder support