what does the G5 xserve tell us?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
so what kind of info about the upcoming G5 desktop revision does the G5 xserve's specs give us?

i'm sure some of you guys are waiting for a machine other than a small headless mac!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

so what kind of info about the upcoming G5 desktop revision does the G5 xserve's specs give us?

i'm sure some of you guys are waiting for a machine other than a small headless mac!

You mean this?

"IBM uses a 90-nanometer process to produce the PowerPC G5."

From the Xserve G5 Technical Overview
  • Reply 2 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geddoe

You mean this?

Which makes even faster Mower Mac G5 desktops even more likely in the coming weeks! m.
  • Reply 3 of 150
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Which makes even faster Mower Mac G5 desktops even more likely in the coming weeks! m.

Is that the mulching Mower Mac G5, or the clipping bag type?
  • Reply 4 of 150
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    ROFL!

i guess that's better than the george forman grill G5!
  • Reply 5 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geddoe

You mean this?

From the Xserve G5 Technical Overview

Whoooo Hooooo!

Somebody did their homework and posted some useful information, oh, and the G5 is at 90 nano.

Sorry, let me say that again.

... and the G5 IS AT 90 NANO's !!!!!

Awesome stuff.

Now I wonder if Apple can start doing cool things with Apps like Final Cut and Logic, by which you can hook these machines up to a cluster node(s), and crank out consummate real time power?

Somebody oughta write a framework
  • Reply 6 of 150
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That IBM is giving apple processors for a product that directly competes with their own products?
  • Reply 7 of 150
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    What the heck? I didn't even notice the G5 is at 90 nano's.

Is the PowerMac G5's 130 nano?

Unbelievable good news. That's probably why they are shipping in Feb.
  • Reply 8 of 150
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Speed bumps in two and a half weeks

GIMMIE THE POWERBOOK G5's in APRIL! PLEASE?
  • Reply 9 of 150
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    PowerMac G5 Data

Quote:

State-of-the-Art Process Technology from IBM

The PowerPC G5 is fabricated in one of IBM?s world-class semiconductor manufacturing

facilities. It uses 130-nanometer circuitry with more than 1130 feet of ultrathin wiring?

nearly 800 times thinner than a human hair.
    With more than 58 million transistors, a

high-performance, silicon-on-insulator (SOI) process for faster operation, and eight layers

of copper interconnects for improved conductivity, this scalable design contributes to

clock speeds up to 2GHz.

New Xserve G5 Data

Quote:

The PowerPC G5 is fabricated in IBM?s new $3 billion, state-of-the-art facility in East

Fishkill, New York. To get electronics so small requires miniaturization breakthroughs,

and IBM?s dedication to scientific research has made these advances possible.With

industry-leading build, assembly, and test technology, IBM uses a 90-nanometer

process to produce the PowerPC G5.
    More than 58 million silicon-on-insulator (SOI)

transistors and eight layers of copper interconnects enable this new processor to

deliver tremendous performance. The use of these advanced technologies also means

the PowerPC G5 draws less power and produces less heat?allowing Apple to pack

two 64-bit 2GHz processors in a 1U form factor.

Awesome!
  • Reply 10 of 150
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    that's what i'm saying!

so what are the possible speeds you think we'll see?

i think february is a given for the time they will be announced/released.
  • Reply 11 of 150
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

That IBM is giving apple processors for a product that directly competes with their own products?

I think that the only product IBM has announced with a 970 to date is a blade server, which is not a direct competitor to a standard single or dual processor 1U server. As far as I know IBM is not shipping these blades yet, so they need to do something with all the processors coming of the production line, and they can't control what Apple puts them in once they sell the chips to Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 150
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh man, too cool. It bothers me, however, that a lot of cooling issues had to be dealt with to get these puppies in the unit. I guess this doesn't bode too well for a G5 powerbook anytime (within the next six months) soon. Hmm, I wonder how much heat reduction would result on a 90-nano chip with clock-scaling, say running the chip at a maximum of 1.6 Ghz...

Hmm, maybe a striped down 90-nano G5 could be used in a future Apple Tablet/PDA?
  • Reply 13 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

[B Hmm, maybe a striped down 90-nano G5 could be used in a future Apple Tablet/PDA? [/B]

I think you need a few more smokeys in your post there. . . you're hittin it HARD!
  • Reply 14 of 150
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

As far as I know IBM is not shipping these blades yet, so they need to do something with all the processors coming of the production line, and they can't control what Apple puts them in once they sell the chips to Apple.

I wouldn't put it quite that way. According to IBM and Apple they have a "partnership" in designing these chips. I'm sure IBM knew exactly what they were getting into with Apple and thinks they'll come out ahead. The 970's existence is intended for Apple.

Anyway, I'm expecting Apple to follow the Workgroup Cluster for Bioinformatics with similar packages for other fields. That will be way cool.
  • Reply 15 of 150
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The server is a low volume box compared to G5 towers and even more so compared to iMac etc. So with with servers starting to ship in February I do not expect tower until Mars-April or so. And I expect we will see iMacs with G5 before we see PBs with them.

Do you remember the G4 apologetics some years ago lamenting the Pentium as hot as toaster and with its deep pipeline much less elegant than then the cool G4? Now we all yearn for the IBM 970, hot as a toaster and with a very long pipeline
  • Reply 16 of 150
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

Do you remember the G4 apologetics some years ago lamenting the Pentium as hot as toaster and with its deep pipeline much less elegant than then the cool G4? Now we all yearn for the IBM 970, hot as a toaster and with a very long pipeline

though not as hot as the pentium...
  • Reply 17 of 150
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

though not as hot as the pentium...

Exactly, according to Taiwanees mobo maker, Intel ask them to make mobo with a 150 watts supply ...for a single prescott at 3,6 ghz.

The truth is that at equal Mhz and equal number of transistors : the G5 quick the ass of any P4 or Prescott.
  • Reply 18 of 150
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Also if you have a look at the White Paper for the G5 here , it says that the G5 is now built on the 90 nm process only. I would imagine that this means new faster PMs are just around the corner (as anticipated).

It also may indicate that the G5 has now become cool enough (at say 1.6 GHz) to put nicely into an iMac and possibly even powerbook soon (I imagine that the next revisions of both will not be G4 based, however long they may take)...

[Edit: notice if you read the paper, it states that the bus frequency is always half of the processor speed ]
  • Reply 19 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Oh... Err...

Hmmmm... m.
  • Reply 20 of 150
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

No silly. It's the Flymo of course.