Design aesthetic of new mini iPods.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

And this girl has an incredible aesthetic sense, uncanny fashion-forward knowingness and impeccable taste *ahem*.

I was going to ask you if your girlfriend reads these forums... until I saw the little "because she goes out with me" ahem at the end.

I don't know, I think it looks pretty sweet, but it's so damn close in price to the 15GB. I'll check one out in person before I pass judgement. I think it's going to feel SO much smaller than a full sized iPod.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I was going to ask you if your girlfriend reads these forums... until I saw the little "because she goes out with me" ahem at the end.

That's hilarious, because a few months ago she found me out while snooping around Mac sites. I'm laying in bed and she says to me "Been to the MacInside place today?". Horrified, I say..."you didn't find it, that's not even what it's called". She's like..."Oh yeah? I'll prove it. There's a guy named 'bot' on there."

I shit you not.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    odd question, but do they have a dock of any kind?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

odd question, but do they have a dock of any kind?

yup
  • Reply 25 of 47
    What's everyone's opinion over the anodized aluminum that is being used for the mini? Judging from the pictures they do seem a lot more stain and scratch proof than the metal on the iPods. Perhaps this is where the iPods are headed as well?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

They should have called them "Pea"Pods.

Or gone ghetto... and called them IPooties.

I think they're going with the Cooper Mini thing. I like it. I like Cooper Minis too, my cuz got the Mini S Whoopi Goldberg was supposed to pick up at his dealership in NH and we drove around in it. It's NICE like buttah just like these new 'Pods.

My sister's going to love me this July, I'm so getting her that pink one, what are brothers for!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by ironchef82

What's everyone's opinion over the anodized aluminum that is being used for the mini? Judging from the pictures they do seem a lot more stain and scratch proof than the metal on the iPods. Perhaps this is where the iPods are headed as well?

the apple dude told me that it's the same anodized aluminum that they use on the PB's... unless that was already blatantly obvious...

the miniPods do feel small and compact, most definitely. and you will be amazed at how that clickwheel [that's also still a touchwheel] works. i think it works better than the 3G iPod touchwheel even...

• Reply 28 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I think they're going with the Cooper Mini thing. I like it. I like Cooper Minis too, my cuz got the Mini S Whoopi Goldberg was supposed to pick up at his dealership in NH and we drove around in it. It's NICE like buttah just like these new 'Pods.

My sister's going to love me this July, I'm so getting her that pink one, what are brothers for!

It's a Mini Cooper
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    It is so tiny! and looks perfectly finished in person. You will want one I guarantee. And I agree, the new wheel is way better thant the one in the regular ipods. I think it should be "miPod" (my pod)

I want to trade in my ipod for a miPod...and I have 15gbs of music!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    I am not sure I like the new design. The shape seems a bit more like a bottle of perfume - compared to the cigarette packet shape of the original. The aluminum cover seems a step back to cheap 70's sci-fi movies and their vision of what a future gadget should look like, the standard sized white models look so modern in comparison. And finally the size, it just seems a bit too small to be comfortably usable - although I have never held one. But just like the G5 perhaps it is a design that will grow on me.

Definitely looks poised to cater for the young girl market though with the choice of colors, there is no really masculine color in the lineup, even the blue seems lilac - perhaps Apple discovered that young girls formed the target market they are trying to win over - looking at some of the funky Rio designs it is hard to believe I know ...

On second thoughts it looks a bit like an electric razor.

Edit: given the choice however between the mini for $249 and the 15 gig for $299 I don't see how anyone can choose the mini.

Edit again: actually looking at the images on this page it looks awesome:

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/vis...ie/index.shtml

Mind you, silver is the only color to go for.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Great pictures.

I really want to see one up close.

The construction really looks top notch.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Does anyone know if you can have a regular iPod and a mini attached to the same iTunes library?

I'm tempted to get one just for running and short trips, where my entire music library isn't needed.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Does anyone know if you can have a regular iPod and a mini attached to the same iTunes library?

I'm tempted to get one just for running and short trips, where my entire music library isn't needed.

You can, but if it is in auto-sync mode it will only copy over the first 4GB of music. You could create a smart playlist with your most played songs and limit it to 4GB then tell the iPod mini to just sync that one.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Sure you can.

i wonder if there's an option to synchronize only selected playlists, i don't remember as i always sync all my music, but this way you can sync all on your regular ipod, and sync Mini playlist to ...well mini iPod

HOM :-)
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Sure you can.

i wonder if there's an option to synchronize only selected playlists, i don't remember as i always sync all my music, but this way you can sync all on your regular ipod, and sync Mini playlist to ...well mini iPod

HOM :-)

Yes, there is the option to only sync selected playlists and there has been that option since iTunes 2 and the 1G iPod. When the iPod shows up in iTunes, click on the little iPod icon in the lower left hand corner of iTunes. There you can turn on or off auto-sync, manual sync, or specified playlist sync.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Actually after seeing some other photos, the silver one is kind of nice.

But the price is still too much considering the lowend 15gig is only $50 more. Take it to $199-$225 and at least 5gig and I'd like it more.

Also, if I didn't already own a 15gig iPod... I might see these differently....... but still, I have a lot of music.

Hey- check out the battery indicator- its one solid color now rather than blocks. I haven't really payed attention to the 3G iPods- do they have this? My old 5 gigger has little battery bars to show the status...
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Hey- check out the battery indicator- its one solid color now rather than blocks. I haven't really payed attention to the 3G iPods- do they have this? My old 5 gigger has little battery bars to show the status...

iPods running the 2.1 version of the firmware have a solid battery indicator rather than the separated one.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    i think this was an interesting move on steve's part. i have to say, i just "traded up" my 2g 20gb to the new 40 having to pay the extra $100 (had the compusa 2 year warranty and told them the battery..ahem..wouldnt hold a charge). i probably have a total of close to 30 to 40gb of music(ripped at 224) and like the idea of having one 'juke box' that i know will have everything for those long road trips or events where i will be away from my computer for awhile- as well as something i could use for files. where this mini fits in is cool marketing wise in my opinion. i for one find that walking around town everyday i have a favorites playlist with about 150 songs that i listen to most. this only really takes up about 750mb. i am lucky enough to have a little more money to play with and would actually consider getting one of the silver ones (black would be hands down the best) just to have for my "daily commuter" . takes up less room, looks cool and could be used at the gym easier. i think what we are going to see is a stratified base with these...people like me who already have a bigger ipod who want a lite version for the everyday and those who want to get in for the first time and either a) dont have much music or b) will be fine just adding/subtracting playlists on a daily basis. being in NYC one quickly realizes how much the trendy appeal matters to some people. plenty will shell out $250 (hell , one good martini is about $11! ) here just to have a light, sweet looking mini. i would have preferred a $200 or less price point but it does make sense in a warped apple kind of way.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'd get one just for the aluminum case. I can't stand how scratch prone the regular ones are. I think they're gorgeous, and I have a feeling you can't appreciate the smallness until you actually use one. Can't wait to see it in person.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    I think we'll see 4 gen ipods wrapped in AL shell as well.

And that scroll wheel is just too cool.

Personally i much more prefer scroll wheel on 2nd gen that scrol+buttons used on 3rd gen.