Can only see "unix" icon on a netwok drive

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After connecting 3 new G5 with OSX 10.3 to our network we only see the "unix" icon or blanc icons where we in OS9 see correct icons of Photoshop, Illustrator etc... The files have no suffix!

Trying to open one of these icons in OSX only renders a message that the file cannot be opened. In OS9 everything is still ok! How can i update the files to show up correctly in OSX. There are maybe ten thousends of files so it is not possible to do everything manually!

/Mat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    How are you connecting to the share? Is it an Apple server, or perhaps W2K over smb? If you copy the file to an OS9 box, and then copy it to the X box via simple sharing ( say, on the X box), does it work ok then?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sounds like these are OS9 versions of apps (no .app extension, you said), and the resources are being lost across the network. Definitely check the transport protocol being used (AppleShare, SMB (Windows sharing), etc.). Also check the drive format that they're hosted on. I'm assuming HFS+ since OS 9 can still see/mount/run them.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

How are you connecting to the share? Is it an Apple server, or perhaps W2K over smb? If you copy the file to an OS9 box, and then copy it to the X box via simple sharing ( say, on the X box), does it work ok then?

It's a Win 2003 server and we connect over smb (thats the way the Apple support person told me)...

I discovered today that when stuffing things on an OS9 mac then copying the .sit-file to an OSX computer and unstuffing it there, we get the icons and metadata right.

My own conclusion is that when making a share for mac on the Win server two versions of the share are created. Both a Windows share called for instance "Projects" and so a Mac share "PROJECTS". With OS9 and Appletalk we connectet to the apple share "PROJECTS", but with OSX and smb we are actually connecting to the Windows version "Projects" where the metadata is not present...

However I can't figure out how to connect to the apple share "PROJECTS" again, to regain all the metadata and icons etc. This is probably not done with smb but with ...?

I have thought of getting the Thursby Softwares ADmitMac to gain the complete W2K Active Directory functionality, but I'm not all that happy having to pay for something I think can be done with Panther right out the box (the file sharing thing anyhow)!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    A SMB share won't keep the resource fork.

You need an afs share (which works perfectly fine).

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

A SMB share won't keep the resource fork.

You need an afs share (which works perfectly fine).

Dobby.

How do I connect with afs. Do I use the same syntax as for smb?? For instance: today i connect with smb://192.16.0.5/. May I then use the string afs://192.16.0.5/ to connect to the apple share. We do have apple shares running on the server. I don'tknow anything about the smb and afs protocolls.

/Mat