iPod Mini: It's not the size, it's how you use it!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I posted this on another forum but seeing all the Mini Negative people here I had to, plus the name is catchy (admins be ever so kind).

Well I ordered mine from an American reseller that ships to Canada...the April world wide shipping was abit too long to wait. And by god that's the same aluminum that the G5 has. Siiiiiiilllllvvvvvvveeeerrrrrrr iPod Mini.

With that out of the way, the iPod mini wasn't made to compete with the iPod, it was meant to compete with High End flash players. People say "250 is too much to pay for 4 GB" but it isn't. Tell RIO who wants $200 for a 256MB player. Or iRiver who wants $200 for 256 too. Digitalway, same deal too. The idea of the iPod mini isn't to compete with the iPods price wise; it's meant to attack those flash based players.

Digtalway and iRiver are the only 2 non -iPod players in the top five (iRiver 256 and Digitalway 128..about 150 for the 128 ). If you compare the iPod mini to those 2 players you'll see it truely is the better deal.

Take into account the 1" Hatachi HD that the mini uses may cost up to $200. I don't see Appl being able to lower the price at this stage.The iPod mini is perfect for my price range, I couldn't go as high as $300 so I was going to get a iRiver, but thank god the mini came.

If people would stop being wrongfully disappointed and take a minute to watch the comparison the keynote gave us, you'd see it's the best deal for it's specific market.

You can now skip ahead to the iPod announcement at time index 1:50:35

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/

Give it a chance, best deal out there in it's market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    "Best deal" for the next six weeks or so, at least. By the time this thing's available in Europe there'll be four gig flash players available for ?150, I guarantee it. They'll be ugly, but they'll be immensely better value.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I'm slowly coming round to it. It's undoubtedly beautiful and all that, but hell... by the time it come out in Europe I expect there'll be 4 gig flash thingies for ?199, probably less.

What do I know.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Not very much,

Do you know hwo much money 4 Gigs of Flash memory costs?!

A Rio 1.5 gig costs 219 bucks.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hd based players are not competition for flash based players. esp. hard drive based players that have no ram cache to load their files up.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

hd based players are not competition for flash based players. esp. hard drive based players that have no ram cache to load their files up.

Exactly.

I've been posting this a bunch here too, The iPod mini WANTS to be competing with the flash market, but it is immediately disqualified because it's NOT A FLASH PLAYER!

the iPod name must be indeed strong if they think they can breech the gaping wall.....eh..ahem

anyway, all the tech reviewers, the columnists, TechTV, c|net, etc.. all these cats won't be saying "now in the flash player market you can get this rio, this iRiver, this creative, or this iPod"

the iPod doesn't provide what the flash market wants, which is solid state and TINY.

I love the design though, don't get me wrong, it's one of the first apple designs in a while that has been very agreeable with me since day one.

I just don't think this thing can compete in a market that it doesn't belong to.

The only thing it has going for it is the slick look and the iPod name, but will that be enough?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I just purchased an iPod mini and am so damn excited about it. I own the original iPod and I just sold it to my brother Nick for $50 because I've always wanted him to have an iPod because he's a violinist. He deserves this and I feel like I owe Apple because I havent bought anything from them in two years and this just called to me. Perfect price, perfect size, perfect color (blue). I cant wait....FEBRUARY 16th isnt going to come soon enough!

I really cant justify the expenditure, but I dont have to. Im an 18 year old kid that works for minimum wage at Hollywood Video and I just blew 35 hours worth of a paycheck on this, but I dont mind. I love this product already.

It is true that depending on how you use it, 1,000 songs is enough storage capacity for the average user. I really think that for my uses (30 minutes of running per day) and such, this is a great deal. My parents work for Penn State University so I got a little $30 discount to bring it to $242 with tax and shipping. All told I spent $190 because of the $50 my bro gave me for the old iPod. I'm thrilled with this purchase, its just so minature and sexy.....iLove iPod mini.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Umm, huh? All iPods, since the begin, have had a 32 MB flash cache for storing songs so that the hard drive isn't always spinning. Not sure what you mean here.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Exactly.

I've been posting this a bunch here too, The iPod mini WANTS to be competing with the flash market, but it is immediately disqualified because it's NOT A FLASH PLAYER!

And... your point is?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It won't be in the Flash player market stats, but Apple just wants the buyers.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    a bit off topic but i want to buy the firewire to 3g connector for the "dock" but when i go to apple they don't offer it, only for the new 15g are they interchangable with my new 20g?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

And... your point is?

That they are targeting a market that isn't interested.

while I don't doubt that the iPod mini will find success elsewhere, it won''t be in the high-end flash market.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    If this thing isn't a flash player, then whats the advantage to it besides size? When you can pay $50 more to have the 15 Gig iPod, I'm not seeing the point. Does it skip less? (Though none of them should, I guess). Better battery? I'm not seeing the value here. I'm not critisizing it, just looking for info.

edit: I see there are numerous other threads posing the same question. Nevermind
  • Reply 13 of 17
    The iPod mini will be a hit. Mark my words. A lot of people here don't "get it", but that's because all you care about is specs. For a LOT of non-geeks (which is still the majority of people living in this world) there really is no point in having 15 or more GB for mp3's. 4 GB will be enough for them. What they care about is that the mini iPod is small, cool-looking and a respected brandname. All that that and then it's even cheaper than the bulkier big brother. Face it, the iPod has gone mainstream! If these stupid 99$ rumors hadn't come up before MW then everybody would be cheering.

To summon up: The iPod mini is made for non-geeks and über-geeks. by über-geeks I mean people who might already have a 30 or 40GB iPod and like to add the minipod to their "toy" collection
  • Reply 14 of 17
    When is everyone going to understand that the technology INSIDE matters little. WHO CARES!?!?!

Apple understands this. They happen to use HD technology because their manufacturing, design and engineering people decided it provides them the best bath to produce an appropriately priced/featured product. That's it.

This isn't a religious war between Flash and HD technology. Most buyers don't know about or care.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I already own an iPod 15GB, and I don't think I'm getting a mini. However, they look sweet and if I didn't have an iPod I'd want one.

Honestly, your iPod battery lasts 8 hours max. You won't listen to your whole 10, 15, 20, or 40 GBs of music with one charge.

Hell, you won't even listen to 1000 songs on an iPod session without ever going back to your Mac and PC. You can actually ERASE songs on your iPod and put in new ones! People complain like the iPod is some kind of super expensive CD-R.

4GB is a lot of room, and it's the cheapest iPod out there. This WILL seem a good deal to many out there.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I see it this way...Just because it is my current situation.

I have a 15Gb ipod already, and I will not part with it under any circumstances. My wife had a Rev1 ipod that has decided to die...Now we need a replacement, or rather, now she needs her own. Why would I want to get another 15Gb or bigger?! There is no real reason for it at all. Especially when I can apply the money saved on an ipod mini for Applecare. So, an unrealized market here for the ipod mini is second and third ipods for your family. Most of us Mac Geeks are Men, most get for themselves first. For most, our families let us have our own Mac stuff, and only occasionally bother us for use. However, here comes the ipod, and now they won't keep their grubby little hands off of it. The best solution for us is to get them their own, whether it be spouse or children. This is where the color scheme, size, and price come in to play. These scream out for most teens, and women of cute, cool, and perfect. Us concerned with specs will get the bigger ones, but why more than one?! So we buy our needy ones the new ipod mini. Apple has now not only grown demand for those that don't have an ipod, but also for those that already do...I believe this to be sheer genius, and I also believe it will work.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

Not very much,

I'm not argue with this. I am an ignoramus.