Publishing tunes from GarageBand to iTMS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So how long do you think it will be before we see this capability. I thought of this immediately when GarageBand was being demo'd by Steve and John. Individual artists could create their own tracks and post them on the iTMS for a fee of course. Interesting. Thoughts? Any serious musicians out there care to comment on this "doing away with the record label" theory?

EDIT: Mods you can move this to Software if you'd like, but since it deals with "future" stuff, I thought I'd post here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hopefully never. Who wants to listen to music based on canned loops?

iTMS can only exist and excell with excellent music and original music.

If Apple is smart they may created a .mac tie in with GB that allows people to swap music files. That would rock.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Actually, I'll move it to Digital Hub.

First, though, the whole point of iTMS is that it's not just whatever Apple could find. They want editors.

If you really want to get your GarageBand-authored stuff on iTMS, you can go through CD Baby. A more direct link is unlikely. Some sort of .Mac integration, on the other hand, might happen.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hopefully never. Who wants to listen to music based on canned loops?

Have you heard of any pop music in the last 10 years that doesn't include some kind of loops? And I was suggesting this more for the "live recording" capabilities rather than just a workup of included loops. Of course, you will have to pay to have the works published on iTMS, so depending on cost, you would weed out a lot of the garbage produced.

This is a revenue maker for Apple. They don't make squat on the iTMS downloads (nearly all of that goes to the record labels).
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I think publishing to .Mac is enough... no one wants to pay for music generated by GarageBand.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animaniac

IIRC, Jobs demoed this feature during the Keynote, so it should already be there.

Not publishing to the iTMS, where everyone in the world can purchase and download it.

Maybe a special section for "Rising Stars"?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

I think publishing to .Mac is enough... no one wants to pay for music generated by GarageBand.

More to the point, nobody wants to pay for random crap, no matter how it was generated.

If you record an absolutely brilliant album with GarageBand, you can publish it through the usual means (a label or label-like entity like CD Baby or even GarageBand.com) and if it really is that good, people will pay for it. The means of creation are irrelevant: Crap recorded on live, professional instruments captured by top-end mikes and run through a top-end board with a first-call engineer at the console is still crap.

Music needs editors. That's where the labels come in.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

iTMS can only exist and excell with excellent music and original music.

Heh, no, it can only exist and excel with a wide variety of music, the good and the bad, one man's bach is another man's Avril lavigne and all that.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I actually think a .Mac subscriber section on the iTMS would be kind of neat. The tracks would of course be ZERO dollars. The only problem would be that you'd get a lot of junk in your searches if it became really popular unless you made a separate search section for it.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    File sharing built in. Anything you make in Garageband could be put out on a peer to peer network.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

File sharing built in. Anything you make in Garageband could be put out on a peer to peer network.

That gets your GB stuff out to other GB users, but what about everybody else? That brings up another cool idea though. To put out your GB stuff on a p2p network or iTunes, it would have to be flattened into a common format like MP3, AAC, whatever. A sharing feature in GB could allow for the built-in public sharing of templates users make. The actual audio data wouldn't be shared, just the reference file. It would use checksums to confirm that the computer across the network also has the same loops and such.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    i find it funny tons of music is made with Reason and people buy and listen to it, but people say loop music sucks. Ummmm ok. Plus i could be wrong, but i saw them recording into GarageBand with instruments. Maybe a primitive and lower quality than a pro studio sound, but some rap stuff sounds like they are singing in a tin can.

No offense to anyone that likes it but that "Milkshake Song" sounds like buttcheese and kids are gobbling it up on the music store.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I had the very same thought a few weeks ago, but Amorph set me right. Apple doesn't want 500,000 loop-dreams on its music store. Still, if not Apple then others will slowly change the music biz from the mess it is now. The internet and Apple will provide many of the tools and means needed for muscians to share and sell their work.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Talk about closed box thinkingness. And... how supportive of you! Tools don't create things, talented people do. GarageBand is a tool that COULD be used to create awesome music. iTMS can very well have a section for this. I have no doubt it will soon have a section to support upcoming musicians.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Maybe there could be some sort of competition and the winners could get their tunes posted on the iTMS.

Yeah, I do not really want to see a ton of crap clogging up the iTMS.

But a select few would be fine.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Maybe there could be some sort of competition and the winners could get their tunes posted on the iTMS.

Yeah, I do not really want to see a ton of crap clogging up the iTMS.

But a select few would be fine.

it won't be too long before we see such a competition. Apple had similar competitions before for iPhoto and iMovie.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

iTMS can very well have a section for this.

And who should control the music to make sure that copyrighted material isn't published?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

And who should control the music to make sure that copyrighted material isn't published?

Good question. Obviously it would have to be audited.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Good question. Obviously it would have to be audited.

And suddenly they're about this >< far from being a label.

Why reinvent the wheel? WIth the indies coming on board iTMS, and several options for unsigned artists on board as well, there is no shortage of people willing to do all that scut work for Apple, and then upload the stuff that passes muster, whether it was authored in GarageBand or not.

Now, a Music folder on .Mac that gave you a slick way to present songs that you authored in GarageBand, with the sort of light but easy-to-use integration into GB (or iTunes) that Apple offers.... that would be cool. And it would be much more in keeping with the purpose of GB.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Music needs editors. That's where the labels come in.

Labels?!?! You really mean the fans, as in - if anybody likes the musician's music in the first place...Labels don't listen to tunes anymore, they hire bands that already have a following, That was changed when Nirvana was signed by Geffen...

What a waste of resources to have any clown place their music on iTunes music store!!

Any clown can put their songs (or movies)on their .Mac account or homepage and give it out for free...(as if you're gonna reap any profit from iTunes)...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

Any clown can put their songs (or movies)on their .Mac account or homepage and give it out for free...(as if you're gonna reap any profit from iTunes)...

Those damn clowns and their music!!

(Shakes a fist at the heavens)