itunes and how to save song titles, etc. on a burned cd?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hello!

everytime i burn a cd using itunes, it doesn't show song titles, etc. (after i re-insert the burned cd) is there anyway i can save those information somehow? help! thank you as always for your help in advance. have a great day!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    CDs don't typically contain track data. When you insert a CD, iTunes and similar apps usually contact an online database called CDDB that gives the track data.

Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    that i know. perhaps i should have been more clear on my posting. i was wondering about cds burned from my playlist that obviously doesn't have data obtainable from cddb. thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if you keep the playlist that you burnt the CD from that should keep the song information for that CD... of course that won't transfer the information to another computer (unless you export the playlist...)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Won't Apple put CD-TEXT in iTunes? I've been wondering this for years, I suppose it will make it be 5.0. It seems trivial but in reality makes burning CDs with iTunes a no-go for most people. Why bother with iTunes when it A) needs extra disk space because it makes a disc image first (why does it do this anyway? Toast doesn't have to) and B) is slower, because it has to make this disc image C) doesn't support CD-TEXT. It's much easier to import with iTunes for CDDB then drag the folder to Toast and be done with it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ProtoDAda

everytime i burn a cd using itunes, it doesn't show song titles, etc. (after i re-insert the burned cd) is there anyway i can save those information somehow?

You shouldn't have to do anything extra. I've never had any problem with this myself, and I haven't had to keep the playlists that I burned from to make this work either.

Are you using the latest iTunes? Are you reinserting the CD into a different Mac than the Mac on which you burned the CD? (Only the Mac on which you burned the CD learns how to recognize your custom CDs.)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Won't Apple put CD-TEXT in iTunes? I've been wondering this for years, I suppose it will make it be 5.0. It seems trivial but in reality makes burning CDs with iTunes a no-go for most people. Why bother with iTunes when it A) needs extra disk space because it makes a disc image first (why does it do this anyway? Toast doesn't have to) and B) is slower, because it has to make this disc image C) doesn't support CD-TEXT. It's much easier to import with iTunes for CDDB then drag the folder to Toast and be done with it.

yes, it's ridiculous that itunes doesn't have this feature. CD-TEXT has been a feature of even the cheapest cd burning apps for years, and for this reason, i burn all of my audio CDs in toast.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac and for this reason, i burn all of my audio CDs in toast. [/B]

Yeah same here, it's great having a CD in a CD player with text that you entered yourself, I like to do childish things like make my name display, etc.

I've not seen a program that reads CD-TEXT data off a CD either, is this something to do with the drive? I know it's not a feature on entry level cd players, but what about CD ROM's?